Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got one!! 2006 C7 450 CDI!!:D It's realy sad that the new 451 model are not import with this "smart" engine!!:(

It's not a racing car but I can reach 135 km/h (80 MPH). It's enought for me!:p I can ride easily 120 km/h and keep speed on the highway. The micro 0,8L CDI turbodiesel engine push a lot of torque. And the turbo noise... hey-hey!! Fuel consumption of 3,8L/100km (around 70 MPG)... fuel increase cost become a real joke!! It's more fuel efficient than a 600cc motorcycle... but more cozy... and funny under storm!! :woohoo

During summer time, I run the engine on biodiesel (B-5 to B-100). Since 2 year without problems!! I have run too with a bland of 50/50 diesel/cooking oil!! But just one time... so... I love my smart CDI!! :bigthumbup: If you have a chance to try... keep it!! You'll be not disappointed!!

I hope that smart cdi come back soon!!!

Salut!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The sound of that turbocharger is really sweet. Why can't we get the CDI here?:(

Smart canada wrote me back that the new smart are not avaiable in CDI version because the engine dont respect emission specificacion. Is it real reason?? Some peoples think that the new smart CDI are not import in north america to dont dissatify the US customers who prefered to run on gazoline than truck fuel (diesel). So... I dont know the real reason.:(

I dream of a MHD CDI Smart!!:woohoo

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Wasn't the decision of not importing the cdi made because of the kind of diesel fuel available and emission issues, something about sulfur?
Obviously, I'm not an expert... :wink:

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
ULSD

Actually, US diesel is lower sulphur than Euro diesel, at least for the moment. Our mandated Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) is </= 15 parts per million sulphur (D15); the Euro "City Diesel" is D50. The EU will eventually go to D10.

The big difference is that N.A. pays attention to NOx emissions and the EU is more concerned with CO2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Smart CDI video this is a diesel model.

Uhmmm... I'm not so sure that this video show us a CDI model. It's sound more like a 600cc or 700cc mercedes turbo gazoline engine than a CDI 800cc turbodiesel.

So, take a look at mine and compared by yourself. My CDI sound realy like diesel engine. We can't understand the turbo charger (not on charge) but we can understand the "clak&clok"!! :p
Ok, it's a fact... the engine was little colder than noraml and it's maybe the reason why it was so noisy!! :rolleyes:

N.B: -26°c = -15°f
Enjoye!:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wasn't the decision of not importing the cdi made because of the kind of diesel fuel available and emission issues, something about sulfur?
Obviously, I'm not an expert... :wink:
I dont think so. Canadian Diesel fuel have less than 0,05% of sulfur inside. I think that is the same to USA... no? And when I go to Vermont, Mass, NY, Maine or NH... I run my smart on US diesel fuel without any problems even if there is just utra low sulfur diesel fuel... I dont think that the fuel is the real reason of no-import of smart CDI!:(

·
Registered
499 Posts
It is a shame the CDi is not offered in the US or Canada, you can get it in Mexico. My commute today is 115 miles a day, extending to 150 a day starting in Jan 09. All most all on the freeway so acceleration isnt a big deal. However a 20 mpg per gallon increase in mileage would be fantastic. I would be willing to pay an extra $1000 up front for a blue-tec version.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
That video is definitely a cdi. I'm glad that where I live, it only gets to zero degrees C a few days a year.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
ALmost a "No Start"

Uhmmm... I'm not so sure that this video show us a CDI model. It's sound more like a 600cc or 700cc mercedes turbo gazoline engine than a CDI 800cc turbodiesel.

So, take a look at mine and compared by yourself. My CDI sound realy like diesel engine. We can't understand the turbo charger (not on charge) but we can understand the "clak&clok"!! :p
Ok, it's a fact... the engine was little colder than noraml and it's maybe the reason why it was so noisy!! :rolleyes:

N.B: -26°c = -15°f
Enjoye!:D

YouTube - Very cold start Smart CDI turbodiesel
Boy, that was a close as anyone can get to a No Start with a diesel. My experience with farm tractors would have been a no start in that cold of a temp! Good place to use a block heater! Save that battery and starter on mornings like that....:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a block heater on my smart CDI but... never need to use it since I bought new. I like to test my smart CDI limits. As you can see... it's a true diesel with real diesel noise... who can start at very cold temps! This tiny diesel is very impressive. I had à 240D and a 300SD mercedes-benz diesel before to own my smart and that was very sensitive to the cold to compared to my smart.

So... I'm waitng to for a next generation of smart CDI. Bluetec maybe!! ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
When do we get a CNG we can fill at home?

(myphill)

:confused:

I'm certainly not opposed to diesel, though. I think ALL options should be available to everyone. Me? I'm still waiting for a plug-in...but anything I can charge/fuel at home would be perfect!

:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe but a CDI smart has much more viability in the world wild than a gazoline smart car like the one who's sale now in north america.

For the EV smart car... I drive an electric car every week at work (citroën Berlingo 2002) and with an autonomy of 80km between 2 plug-in... and 6h-8h to recharge batteries... I'm not the one who want to buy an electric smart car for the moment. :(

Here is a pics of my smart fortwo CDI 2006 beside my working vehicle... the electric citroën Berlingo. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diesel Engines Can Burn Anything Including CNG

CNG Fumigation for diesel engines is easy and they've been doing for years. 3 parts CNG to 1 part diesel

The Tier II Bin 5 regulation for diesel engines is .07 grams per mile.

Some biofuels are actually have a negative balance when it comes to CO2.

Plus this is all available yesterday not in the future like batteries.

Does anyone have any more information on the diesel Smart car? For example a picture of the turbo. The press release says its inside the exhaust manifold. I would like to see it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
A Diesel ignited CNG fueled CDi would be great. To make it attractive and practical, a new car has to be engineered from the ground up to accommodate the GNG and Diesel fuel tanks without taking away too much useful cabin space. Also the in-home fueling stations are way too expensive to justify the cost advantage of CNG at the moment.
Too bad no manufacturer is offering a vehicle engineered for Diesel/CNG or even Gasoline/CNG. The Civic GX came close but had little flexibility with it's CNG only set up, and was a compromise because it was originally designed to be a conventional car, that meant the trunk space had to be sacrificed to accomodate the large fuel cylinder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts