Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering on this idea for a while. An autoX class dedicated to Smart cars only. Should be fun.

How many folks here would participate in an event like that?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Your local NASA or SCCA region may consider adding the class as a local class if you consistently bring several smarts to the events, otherwise you are stuck with the usual classes, HS for SCCA stock class and who knows for modified smart cars.
Just show up and have a ball driving :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm thinking of maybe running my Smart at the next BMW CCA autoX in the non-BMW class. I'll get beat-up on by the GT-R, Evo's and 911's that show, but will at least be able to safely explore the limits of the car. What organization where you thinking of getting this going with? SCCA?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow! I like the response! :) Thanks all!

Truth be told, I was thinking of taking the Smart car to Streets of Willow. But I thought I can gather more interests for autoX first than a full-blown track.

uberpanzer: your username looks familiar. Hang around on the bimmer forums much? ;)

I haven't participated in CCA autoX for a while. Did a couple of SD and LA chapters some time ago. How are they holding up these days? I heard the HPDE biz not so good.

I know SpeedVentures has the ability to organize autoX at Cal Speedway. I can drop an email to the organizer if there are enough interests.

I have been a spectator at a SCCA autoX though never participated in one. Has anyone else in So Cal participated in the SCCA autoX?

Keep the suggestions/ideas coming...

UPDATE:

ok, I found a date for SpeedVentures AutoX. Click here. I will contact the organizer and see what he has to say. Would be totally cool to see a group of Smart cars competing for laptimes! What say you, fellow smarties? :D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Having other cars like yours usually just points out how bad you suck, a wonderful place to learn about yourself and car control in a fairly low threat enviroment. you may find some other clubs holding events that will also let you play. The more seat time you get the better you should become with your car.
Depending on the course the biggest wear item will be tires... have fun.
autocross is you and the clock focus on your best time. and have one
karl

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GHammerly: nice video!! I need track fix all year round! What winter tires? lol! :p

Good pt karl. It's not about a fast car but a fast driver.

Ok, here's the deal. Speedventures got back to me and said they are interested in forming a Smart class if there are enough Smart cars showing up for the June event.

And yes, SV will announce the results end of day and even present a Smart car class trophy!

So who's in?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all,

Been a while since I've been on this forum now. Anyone get a group together for the autox?
Ah MIA for a while now? :p

I am trying to get pple to the SV event in June 13/14. So far nothing yet. Would be nice to get a group. If not, by myself, I would rather drive my race car for that interior road course the same weekend.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow, talk about being MIA, I posted on this thread and never came back till now. Yes Vince, I'm on bfc. :D

And depending on price (and location), I should be down for it. I'll be able to give my poor little blue turbo e21 a rest from dodging cones. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Speedventures is a good group (gone with them a couple of times), but Aaron usually overcharges to turn a profit.

I am in though, post more when you know

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
update:

BMW CCA LA chapter has an AutoX this Sunday at California Speedway. $75. Non-BMWs are allowed of course but I need to confirm about the whole membership thing. Last I attended was years ago.

Link here and here.

update 2:

No club membership needed! Just sign up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts