Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T;he temperature/AC control (set and regulate to specific temp.) quit working several years after I got it....I'm told they all did, but for the past year or so, I have either hot or cold with no inbetween. To get heat I had to go to the highest setting. and I more-or-less regulated the heat with the fan speed. Last fall it started another related problem. With the heater control full-up it will periodicaly switch from hot to cold on it's own. if I toggle the control down and up the heat comes back, sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for hours..Since I wasn't sure if it was an electrical or mechanical control and I have a wrecked parts car I decided to take the one in it out and see how it was made. Well, it turns out it is electrical, a multi-contact switch. I think the problem is probably just a dirty or worn contact which I could fix if I could just get the darn thing open. That brings me to the purpose of this post. Has anybody else had the same problem and did you take the switch module apart. When you jump through all the hoops to get the baseball-sized module out, It's obvious by looking at it that it is a two-pieced deal, but there no clues as to how it is fastened together. There are no screws holding it together, so I assume it snaps together with springy plastic tabs holding it together, but I've probed every hole I can find and can't find what is holding it together. The object of this rather lengthy post is to see if anybody else has ever gotten one of these apart and what's the secret? The odds are that the one I have out of the parts car is probably good, but I hate to go to all the trouble of changing it out and finding it may not be any good either. It took me several hours to get it out and will take about twice that to take the bad one out and this one put back in!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine has worked perfectly in my 2013 Smart since day one although my car only has 43,231 miles. Never heard a big problem reported on the heat/AC control? That being said....I never heard of this control unit being repairable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My fan crapped out on Smart 1 of 5 for this guy... 5hr trip to Madtown... an hour anxiously waiting in line... ...5hr trip back... ...turned the fan\camlock from the housing... ....an Arm and Hammer cabin filter... ...viola! Heat and A\C. Also inserted a can of Freon into the system. 92deg ambient temperature and 47deg on meat thermometer in middle vent; afforded a side of beef to be hung from the ceiling with care!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts