Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to start a new thread devoted to needed features, questions, bugs, regarding the Smart Cross Connect App.

I hope this thread will be read by MB/Daimler/Smart, and I hope it will serve the Smart community as well. Included herein is a website for reporting concerns to MB as well.

The Smart Cross Connect App does not appear to get much use. This is particularly sad for the US market, where the Smart Media System has yet to be released.

I recently brought home a new 2017 Smart Cab, and I very much want to like the Cross Connect App. I think some small improvements are clearly needed, not just desired, and would greatly improve the usability of this app. I hope Smart cares and listens.

I suggest that we report needed improvements here, and report bugs with the hope Smart is listening, and as a warning to each other. We can also ask questions here, both to support each other and to alert Smart regarding how their documentation might be improved.

One should probably state a phone, OS version, and Smart Connect version in each post. My own issues are with Navigation mostly, and music. I have not yet made extensive use to date of Radio, Phone, the Guidebook, or Car Info at this time. I’ll add to this list as needed and as I get better acquainted with these additional features.

I number major issues 1), 2) etc. Other desired improvements to make the app great, and not just useable, are numbered i), ii), etc.

Version Info: OS 10.2.1, iPhone 5S, and Smart Cross Connect USA v1.1.

Tech Support: I have just learned that one can comment on the app at:

https://www.mbcac.net/go/appsupport/Contact.aspx?app=cross connect

I think we should ask for better tech support, perhaps including a help number.

Volume: The app has numerous uses and interfaces. One should be able to adjust volumes separately. For instance, navigation and music volume cannot be changed independently. If the music is sufficiently loud, the navigation booms! I think this should be available within the current window, without having to enter Settings.

Other volume issues are discussed in context below.

Navigation:

1) One should be able to name a saved location, and organize locations into folders. For instance, shouldn’t I be able to save my home address with the name “Home?”

2) Add waypoints. Why can’t I add a stop or two along my path to my final destination?

Lesser issues:

i) One should be able to add multiple waypoints and have the app determine good routes.

ii) Elaborating on WayPoints, one should be able to add and edit cvs files with lists of Custom POI and enter them as favorites. For instance, with national park locations. Or locations for a stores in a chain that interests you. (See, for instance, http://www.poi-factory.com.)

Why can’t one, for instance, use the iOS File Sharing to accomplish this?

iii) Why can’t we edit files from our laptop. For instance, shouldn’t we be able to use Share in iTunes to open a location file and edit, or to change the name?

Speed Warning:

1) There is a setting to turn on a speed warning. Go 6 miles over the speed limit and three beeps sound. This is a very nice feature! However, I can find no way to adjust the volume, and if music volume is set appropriately, the beep is disruptively loud. One should be able to adjust these volumes separately. Additionally, such adjustments to this beeping should not effect the volume of collision warning, and park assist beeping, for instance. (See, for instance, poi-factory.com.)

2) 6 mph over for a speed warning is a bit intrusive. It’s too easy to creep over this limit, especially downhill. The choice to set this to 10 mph would be an additional nice feature. Tickets are only infrequently issued for less than 10 mph over the speed limit in most states.

Bug Alert:

1) See version info above. The “Speed Warning” setting does not appear in the app settings on my iPhone. Restarting the phone, or app, reinstalling, etc, doesn’t help, nor does clearing the cache.

I can only assume this is a bug, and needs attention. I do not know what sparks the interface error of the omitted setting. (At least one other forum member uses an iPhone 5 and does not have this problem. He did not offer version numbers.)

Anyone else want to add more? Ask questions of fellow forum users? Etc?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Warning: Cross Connect incompatible with new iOS File System.

Apple introduced a new File System with their release of the iOS update, iOS 10.3. This appears to be incompatible with the Smart Cross Connect App. I suggest we wait, and that any active users contact Smart at the following address to ask for a fix release soon. They have not yet responded to my letter.

https://www.mbcac.net/go/appsupport/Contact.aspx?app=cross connect

To be fair, issues appear to have coincided with installing the new update. I cannot confirm this with certainty. If any iPhone users experienced this, please confirm. Any iPhone users who have not updated, take warning.

The only issue I've seen so far is a serious one. Although my phone has an abundance of music, the app indicates that there is no music available. Apparently it can no longer communicate with iTunes and one's music collection.

If anyone knows a fix, please pass it on!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine pairs without problem, quickly, and it's a very stable pairing. The app has problems, but nothing so vital, that is until Apple updated to a new file system a few days ago with version 10.3. The newest update, related to security, 10.3.1, did not resolve the problem, and I still have not heard from Smart after my query.

Assuming you have no trouble pairing other devices by bluetooth, I suspect you can resolve the issue you have with some effort. Out of curiosity, can you tell me which version of Cross Connect you have, and which version of iOS you are using?

To find this, open your "settings" app on your iPhone. (Not settings in the Smart Connect App.) You'll see a long list of apps you use. Scroll down to Cross Connect, open this, and scroll to the bottom where you will see "Version." You should be using Version 1.1.

The last iOS that worked well with Cross Connect was 10.2.x. Look in your iPhone Settings for "General." Click that, Click "About" and scroll down to "Version."

It would not take a lot for me to really love this app. It's nice to have all this utility in one app - almost like having a built in Media/Navigation system in the car. Given that Smart is not selling that feature in the States, this is all we have. The Music app is fine, the navigation needs a large number of mild improvements, but it's usable. The radio is nice given that the mounting device they sell blocks the radio function keys otherwise.

I hope you get yours working. It's far from perfect, but I like having it, and I'm unhappy with the new bug, particularly given how few updates are issued.

One wonders if they'll stop development on the US version of this app altogether with their 453 gas model decision.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am using the app with a Nexus 5 that is running what ever the latest beta version of Android is for the phone. Being that I am in the beta program that could, theoretically, account for some of the bugs I see.

First off, pairing normally works OK, but only normally. Maybe 10% of the time the car and the phone refuse to pair.

Secondly, the app sometimes has issues starting up and I have to close it and restart it a few times to get it to work. Normally when there is a problem I just get a blank, black screen until an message from the OS pops up saying the app is having problems and asks if I would like to close it or keep waiting.

Third, if everything else works normally there is still a bug that causes the window warning me to follow all traffic laws to pop up when it isn't supposed to. This of course means I have to tap the screen to get rid of it when the goal should be to get me to keep my hands off my phone as much as possible.

As far as features go, I wish they would eliminate the app's navigation feature, it is simply not as good as Google Maps or Waze and Google Maps comes preinstalled on my phone. Instead give me a screen that I can add apps to, like a desktop specifically for my car, that way I can more easily access the navigation aps I am going to use anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using the app with a Nexus 5 that is running what ever the latest beta version of Android is for the phone. Being that I am in the beta program, that could, theoretically, account for some of the bugs I see.
I appreciate your choice. Decades ago, impatience lead me to adopt the original beta for OS X. Largely a catastrophe in its infancy, I couldn't resist the advantages of running UNIX, and using the Apple OS of the future. I sacrificed so many essential apps to my work to do this.

Third, if everything else works normally there is still a bug that causes the window warning me to follow all traffic laws to pop up when it isn't supposed to.
I've never seen this window, nor any hint of it in the Cross Connect "manual." The closest I've seen is the speed warning, which beeps 3 times when you reach 6 mph over the speed limit. Mysteriously, some forum users have a setting for turning this off, but I don't, and it doesn't appear in the Smart Connect manual. 6 mph is a little too close to the speed limit, and I vary between liking the feature and feeling annoyed by it.

As far as features go, I wish they would eliminate the app's navigation feature, it is simply not as good as Google Maps or Waze and Google Maps comes preinstalled on my phone. Instead give me a screen that I can add apps to, like a desktop specifically for my car, that way I can more easily access the navigation aps I am going to use anyway.
If I understand correctly, I love this idea. Add the ability to incorporate some 3rd party apps into the Smart Connect interface, allowing one to use these apps without leaving the Smart Connect app interface.

However, they can add this feature without eliminating their own GPS app.

I seriously doubt Smart has sufficient commitment to this app to follow through with this. Indeed, given the scarcity of updates and improvements, I suspect a small handful of software engineers split their time with what Smart and MB view as more essential projects.

I hope I'm wrong..... Still awaiting a response to my letter to Smart concerning the conflict with iOS 10.3.

Here's a video from Smart related to development.

Can they really be giving attention "gamifying" parking instead of improving essential apps? I hope not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've never seen this window, nor any hint of it in the Cross Connect "manual." The closest I've seen is the speed warning, which beeps 3 times when you reach 6 mph over the speed limit. Mysteriously, some forum users have a setting for turning this off, but I don't, and it doesn't appear in the Smart Connect manual. 6 mph is a little too close to the speed limit, and I vary between liking the feature and feeling annoyed by it.
On the Android version is is supposed to appear right after the app starts up. It is just a white rectangle with a warning to follow all local traffic laws and pay attention with an "OK" button to clear it off the screen. For me it does this but also pops up at other random times.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the Android version is is supposed to appear right after the app starts up. It is just a white rectangle with a warning to follow all local traffic laws and pay attention with an "OK" button to clear it off the screen. For me it does this but also pops up at other random times.
Yes. On the iPhone version too. I was being a little dense, I suppose.

You have my sympathy. Very annoying!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed: Just a settings issue.

fApple introduced a new File System with their release of the iOS update, iOS 10.3. This appears to be incompatible with the Smart Cross Connect App.
I should be embarrassed!

For some reason the new iOS installation turned off a setting on my iPhone which I needed to play music on Cross Connect. I have changed the setting and music plays once again using the Smart Cross Connect app.

iPhone Settings/Cross Connect/Media and Apple Music.

This was turned off during my update to iOS 10.3. When I discovered this and turned it back on, all my music is available to play. In particular, my problem was unrelated to Apple's new File System implemented on iOS 10.3.

My sincere apologies for my error, and any confusion it created. (However, for what it's worth, Smart has yet to respond to my request for help regarding the issue.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got a bit tired of the bugginess of the Cross Connect app and so I downloaded Android Auto and decided to give it a try.

First things first I had to figure out how to get it to stop listening for voice commands using the car's microphone (go to the Google app, then to settings, then to "voice" to change it) and now I can listen to music on my phone, place calls, send texts using my voice, access Google Maps easily for navigation, and so on. I think I am going to like it. I can't change the radio station with the app but I really only listen to NPR if I have the radio on so that is no big deal for me. I never used the Cross Connect navigation or g force display or other features so those are no loss to me either. If worse comes to worse I can switch back to Cross Connect but for now I want to try a different option.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I love the CC App. However, it's easy for me to say with my Samsung Note 4 (that at this point, is an ancient smartphone, hot back in 2014!!). While it essentially works the same with iPhones as it does with Androids, I get the most customer complaints from iPhone users. Some users struggle to use SIRI voice commands, and most at some point will have issues with the wrong source audio playing through Bluetooth at inopportune times.

If you want SIRI voice commands with your iPhone, forget about Bluetooth. Place the phone in the cradle and run a tiny little aux cable from the phone to the aux jack. Communicate with SIRI that way and the audio will run through the headunit's 'Aux' input audio source. You will have to push the 'MEDIA' button to cycle through the inputs if you plan to use your phone. To me, this is not a big deal at all. To others, it might be a deal breaker. For Android users, Bluetooth tends to work better and at least with my Samsung phone I am able to say "Hi Galaxy" and basically do all the same SIRI stuff in the Android's format.

There will eventually be patches released that may remedy some or most of iPhone and other phone compatibility issues. Or, there may not be. But phones, phone operating systems, and phone applications are changing on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and will likely always be ahead.

Best approach here is to try to get it to do everything you want it to do, then move on to plan B, plan C, etc,. Of course, don't be shy about alerting your local dealer and/or MBUSA of your compatibility issues (folks might not know if you don't inform them of the issues). That way it is possible some of the issues are addressed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy to see more people posting here! We need more yet! And I am particularly pleased to hear that Mister_smart_LA "loves the CC App." That's a strong recommendation, and an indication that the App has the type of features common sense indicates most people would expect to "love" it.

I don't share your exuberance, but I want to love it, and I do see a great deal of potential in the App if we see continued development on this side of the pond (North American). For instance, the ability to download maps is a great feature, as is speed warnings, and Glympse. Given your enthusiastic response above, perhaps you can explain how to do some of the obvious things I fail to locate in the App.

1) Suppose one is listening to music while using GPS. Oddly, I can find no way to adjust the GPS voice direction volume independently of the music. If the music is loud enough to hear well, the GPS screams in your ear. Given your enthusiasm, I suspect you've overcome this issue. Any help?

2) On the GPS, I see no way to add multiple destinations as waypoints. Surely I can add a stop midway toward my final destination. How?

3) I can find no way to add names for locations. For instance, one can surely add the name "Home" to one's home address to replace the actual directions. Can you organize your saved locations in some way? Also, I don't know how to even add data in GPS (such as favorite locations) unless I'm sitting inside a turned on car with the app running. Surely there is a way to organize from the comfort of your office desk and use later! How?

4) Glympse is a great idea and and unexpected addition to the App! One sends an e-mail to someone at a target destination, and that receiving person can trace your progress toward arrival on a map linked to the e-mail! That's truly great! But when I send a Glympse notification, it arrives and is pronounced expired as soon as it arrives. Is there a setting I am missing?

5) I very much like having a speed warning. Unfortunately, I have no way on my device (nor is there one in the CC "manual") to turn this feature off, or to adjust the warning to take place at, for instance, 9 mph over instead of 6 mph over. Everyone, no matter how conscientious, climbs 6 mph over frequently enough to find this beeping annoying. (Some people have reported having this turn-off feature in the settings. It's not in the manual, and I don't have this setting in my app! I've tried everything to find it!)

Of course, a feature like Glympse is an unanticipated bonus. There are others. But the features above are surely expected by anyone using the App given that it includes Glympse, etc.

I am very much hoping your enthusiasm indicates you can help with most of these frustrating and serious shortcomings! Please tell me how to deal with any of these you know how to resolve.

(I'm not including above many other features commonly found on respected GPS apps but missing on CC, such as traffic information and rerouting, multiple waypoints, the ability to find a reasonable order to following a collection of addresses (think, for example, of adding several Garage Sale addresses, and having an App order them effectively for your day! Best possible order is NP-hard, but there are well-known and easy algorithms for approximating the best route.))

Thanks for any help you can offer. I hope a lot more forum members start using and commenting on Smart Cross Connect, and that some of us send our concerns and suggestions to Smart for their consideration.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Daimler to update or add features to the N.A. app. They have a very poor record in that regard. Those of us with iPhones have been waiting for more than a year for the Bluetooth connection issue to be resolved. IMHO, no excuse for that!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Let me clarify that my praise for the Cross Connect App results from the fact that it functions perfectly fine for how it was intended. It's also free. The phone extends the radio screen into a full screen, touchscreen, with preset buttons on the display and in the phone cradle.

Whatever some consider "lacking" within the CC app I don't consider lacking at all because I can run multiple applications with my phone and very easily switch between different apps on my phone while simultaneously running CC. So for example, if you don't like the CC app's version of navigation --- try running your favorite navigation app in congruence with CC.

So I really have no reason to complain about the CC app. It doesn't limit me in any way whatsoever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me clarify that my praise for the Cross Connect App results from the fact that it functions perfectly fine for how it was intended. It's also free.
First, thank you for your many contributions to the forum. I and many others appreciate your useful feedback, and have benefited through it. And thanks for contributing to this particular thread, which I hope will gain momentum with time. I like Smart Cross Connect!

However, I find it hard to accept your conclusion that CC "functions perfectly fine for how it was intended."

It's intentions are clear. It seeks to:

i) Give a convenient user interface combining a number of basic apps we all want and need to enjoy our vehicle.

ii) Provide a few nice extras to excite Smart users and make them feel they have something special.

It does the latter very well! Speed warnings, a variety of preprogrammed locations, Glympse, trip records, gas usage, AUPEO, Smart parking features, are all examples. If each of these worked without fundamental glitches, the app would be a very nice app, despite a shortage on basic navigation features. Maybe an app worthy of love.

It has serious glitches, and a weak update calendar, with fixes and updates happening at an embarrassingly slow rate.

It does not function "perfectly fine." For instance, one cannot use music and the GPS at the same time. The inability to adjust these volumes separately makes this impossible, unless one is willing to turn off GPS volume in the settings, which unfortunately, I must do, causing me to miss turns occasionally.

Similarly, Glympse does not work at all, as mentioned in my prior letter. This is not "functioning perfectly fine for how it was intended." And the nagging caused by the too small 6 mph warnings regarding speed, which cannot be turned off, are not "perfectly fine" either. These are very serious bugs, and they deserve attention which they do not receive.

Ignoring other examples, I can assure you that programming separate volume controls for the GPS voice and music is not difficult. As for Glympse, bugs are commonplace for new apps. The ethics of the industry require giving attention to bug fixes, and by offering only very rare updates Smart is behaving irresponsibly, by the standards of the industry, not by my standards alone.

Two other issues: 1) You are correct that one should not ask for too much from a free app. The weak navigation features are acceptable, if not ideal. Nonetheless, while conceding this point, I also note that almost all free GPS apps, for instance Waze, and Google Maps, are feature rich by comparison. Smart has not made a serious effort on this front.

2) Smart blatantly uses this app as part of their advertising, for instance, promotional videos available on YouTube, and perhaps on tv (I don't own a tv, so I don't know.) If they sell cars using the product, then they are fully responsible to produce a quality product, feature rich or not.

Let me say again, I like and use Smart Cross Connect. I'm pleased, and even impressed that Smart has made this app! I hope I can continue to use it, and that they update the app to comply with updated operating systems, and maintain at least some interest in the American market. I want more people to contribute to this thread, and to write Smart with their concerns and suggestions.

But I cannot, in good conscience, claim that the app "functions perfectly fine for how it was intended."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speed Warning in Cross Connect App

Speed Warning:

I have noticed that the speed warning still occurs even if that setting is turned off in the app. I am running the latest iOS on my iphone 7. I have deleted the app reinstalled it, even cleared cache and deleted trips. Any suggestions? I have contacted the support but have not heard back yet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For what little it is worth...

Speed Warning:

I have noticed that the speed warning still occurs even if that setting is turned off in the app. I am running the latest iOS on my iphone 7. I have deleted the app reinstalled it, even cleared cache and deleted trips. Any suggestions? I have contacted the support but have not heard back yet.
Speed Warning:

Thanks for your contribution.

I fixed this problem on my iPhone, but have *no* idea how I did so. The problem persisted for a very long time, and I turned the feature on and off over every few days for weeks. The one day, after turning it off again, the speed warning just stopped! This is absurd, of course. But now I can now turn it on and off without issue. The issue is confoundingly nagging.

They should allow one to set their own alarm speed (5 mph over, 9 mph over?) to what works for the driver. Perhaps they would also discover their programming bug while they're at it.

For now, I'm ..... Driving in Peace.

I regret that you had to give up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When my iphone is running the Cross Connect app, the radio volume is slightly lowered. Only when the phone is 'locked' or not connected to Cross Connect app the volume is normal.

Why is this? is there a setting for this?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts