Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, organization of previously posted information.

Seven Smart dealers (No dealer add-ons reported)
Edison, NJ (according to vanslam)
Winston-Salem, NC (according to Container_Guy)
Sarasota, FL (according to smartfloridadad)
San Antonio, TX (according to mike-in-sa)
San Jose, CA (according to Alan_Hepburn)
Sacramento, CA (according to Smartdavis)
Seattle, WA (according to "BeSmart")

Nine Smart dealers (Forced add-ons reported on orphans...see footnotes) ($2-5,000 more)
1. Portland, OR
2. Denver, CO
3. Bedford, OH (Cleveland)
4. San Diego, CA
5. White Plains, NY
6. Fairfield, CT
7. Annapolis, MD
8. Tysons Corner, VA (D.C.)
9. Dallas, TX

Who else?

FOOTNOTES:

1. $2200 worth of add-ons according to je047bo; LoJack and interior/exterior protection package according to jwight.; $16,750 + tax/license for a $13,990 + $650 shipping vehicle according to "Iceberg".
2. Loaded with add-ons according to "cosmart"
3. Dealer gave vague $18-19k Passion coupes according to "smorris"
Mollie/Molly quoted over $18k passion coupe to "jwight" and "Wile E. Coyote"
4. Several Passion Coupes at $21k
5. Dealer gave vague $20k+ for a base Cabrio base with LoJack, etc. according to "2009Aveo5"
6. $17,302 for a base Coupe Passion with LoJack, 6yr/60k warranty, fabric protection, wheel/tire warranty, dealer required a $1000 non-refundable deposit prior to giving finance rate and trade-in value to "2009Aveo5".
7. LoJack & Fabric according to "Orphan-Beggar"
8. According to "Orphan-Beggar"
9. $2000 add-ons according to "angel"

RATIONALE

The reason for this thread is to inform the public what consumers have experienced at various Smart dealerships. In no way am I complaining about these dealerships. It's simply a compiled list. No whining here. Some people may actually want LoJack (including myself due to where I will be parking the Smart) so this may give them an idea of what kind of add-ons these dealers are adding. It can be negative or positive depending on your perspective. In my opinion, $1200 paint protection (according to Smartdavis), fabric protection, etc. is negative, however a $695 LoJack is positive. Some dealers are said to charge substantially less for LoJack, so this is simply part of being a Smart consumer. Some may view LoJack as a negative, vice versa.

On the flip side, I am also considering other hybrid vehicles such as the 4th generatoin 2009 Prius which is said to be on schedule according to other forums, likely mid-October. Others have posted buying other cars such as the Yaris; therefore this is simply here to make good decisions. The goal isn't to bash dealerships. I agree to many the add-ons is just part of getting an orphan versus waiting months while others would like to know what to expect in order to plan. Some are on a tighter budget than others, etc.

In conclusion, the intention of this thread is not to be divisive but to simply organize the random posts on the subject throughout the forum. Positive or negative is a moot topic as far as the purpose of this thread. In fact, those willing to pay $300 to $2000 to be put on an exclusive orphan list and willing to pay for the add-ons are far more likely to get an orphan; therefore this list can also be used to help those who are more serious spenders to get an orphan faster, yet it can also be used for those looking to deal exclusively with dealers that allow for the customer to choose which accessories they'd like on their Smart.

DEALER ADD-ON PRICES:

LoJack $695 (however someone paid substantially less on a Smart)
Warranty 3yr/36k w/ $100 deductible $395
Warranty 4yr/48k w/ $100 deductible $695
Warranty 6yr/60k w/ $100 deductible $995
Warranty 5yr/100k w/ $100 deductible $1395
Paint Protection $1200
Fabric Protection $?
Clear Bra $?
Wheel/Tire Warranty $?

INTEREST RATES QUOTED:
Smart Dealer 6.9% or more depending on credit
Wells Fargo 5%

Feel free to add...maybe this will be useful to someone purchasing a new Smart.

DEALERS REQUIRING REFUNDABLE DEPOSITS TO BE ON ORPHAN LIST
Knoxville, TN $300
St. James, NY $500
Lindon, UT $1000
N. Hollywood, CA $2000

SPECIAL RULES TO BE PUT ON ORPHAN LIST
Edison, NJ - Requires you to come into the dealer to be put on orphan list
Williamsville, NY - Local residents only
Englewood, NJ - Local residents only
Cherry Hill, NJ - They have to sell to reservation holders in their area or else Smart USA penalizes the dealer 2%
Portland, OR - They honor Oregon residents first, then other state localities

EXPECTED NUMBER OF SMARTS COMING TO DEALER
Pittsburgh, PA - 15 in March and 30 in April according to salesperson Matt

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS
Sacramento, CA - According to salesperson Nick

TRADE-IN VALUE???

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can confirm that, yes, the Denver dealer does force add-ons to the orphans before selling them. I don't know what exactly, or how much it all costs. I had hoped I would find the information here someplace in another thread, but after searching, it seems that no one knows, or at least, no one has posted. So, I will go to the dealer, right now, in person, and ask. I'll report back with what, if anything, I am able to learn.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On interest rates I got 4.9% from the dealer through BofA. They came down from an initial rate of 7.9% after i told them I was approved at 5.2% through Capital One

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, back from Denver Smart (and Chipotle). Here's the deal. Buying a car off the orphan list costs MSRP + $645* destination charge + $295* dealer fees/docs + $2,250 for extras. The extras include...

- "Enviroguard", some kind of protection for the internal fabrics and whatnot to prevent against staining and stuff

- a clear plastic cover on the outer front of the vehicle, to prevent against dings from rocks and stuff

- new head unit with navigation; it's a Kenwood/Garmin combo. Looked kinda nice, but not extremely so.

- new speakers in the doors, Alpine 6" 2-way (the tweeter and sub - if present in original customer's order - remain unchanged).

And I think that's it. All in all, personally, I'd rather not buy off the orphan list if that's how much extra I have to be paying. Although, in due fairness, it does seem like a lot of stuff, so if I was tired enough of waiting, I could see going for it. I mean, isn't a BAD deal... but it's not that good either.

*these you would have to pay anyway, regardless of orphan list.

ETA: As mentioned in someone else's post above, getting on the orphan list is free. It costs $99 to order your own car, new. But even that isn't really a "cost", because it's credited towards the purchase of the car.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
$2,000 is a ballpark / average for Dallas. On the higher end when they add the powder coated wheels, tint, and lojack. On the lower end for pinstriping, tint, and Lojack. Not all orphans get the same add on's from as far as I can tell. They just all get some add on's. I was just glad I got the lower of the add on's and didn't have to get the wheels to get my orphan.

·
Registered
114 Posts
$2,000 is a ballpark / average for Dallas. On the higher end when they add the powder coated wheels, tint, and lojack. On the lower end for pinstriping, tint, and Lojack. Not all orphans get the same add on's from as far as I can tell. They just all get some add on's. I was just glad I got the lower of the add on's and didn't have to get the wheels to get my orphan.
Angel,
How much $ ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Chandler AZ has called me with several orphans, and they were straight MSRP with no addons. The Albuquerque dealer was loading their orphans up. - heureka

·
Registered
24 Posts
On the orphans Devon Pa called me about, they all had about $1500. worth of add-ons - paint protection, tire & wheel warranty, lojack just to name a few

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think Edisionsmart has changed

When I was in Edision smart in April they added lojack to all their orphan cars. I hear now from friends I told to go there they add quite a bit more to orphans.Maybe the rep who reads this forum can update us?

·
Registered
8 Posts
our new orphan, from the West Covina, CA dealer had about $5000 worth of add ons to our Passion - upgraded leather and navigation system. did we need it, no, but we were happy to get the Orphan. No additional fees to be on the orphan list originally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my orphan from the San Diego dealer with no add ons. At the time, they had 3 passions with add ons but they didn't seem to be attracting much interest. This was in late April.

·
Registered
431 Posts
smart of gables florida adds on about 9K more on their cars. i have been called and none of the orphans are less than 22K

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was a new Suzuki dealer here in town and he tried the add on gimmick price scheme. He would add door edge gaurds($100),pin stripes($125),etc. On top of that he added $1999 to the sticker price and called it "Market Adjusted Price". Well 5 months ago he went out of business. I remember in the early 80's car dealers were adding $500(Subaru,Toyota)to there cars and calling it "ADM". It stood for Additional Dealer Mark-up. They got in trouble cause they wouldn't disclose what ADM stood for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
change

Can the listing for smart of Edision be changed.Ray Catena have gone to profit being more important than customers and we have three different confirmations.It seems to be getting worse.:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actual price paid at Englewood Smart Center located in New Jersey.

Lojack Cost = $1395.00 + tax
Window Etch = $399.00 + tax
LoJack+Etch+tax = $1901.64

After a few calls to other smart dealers and some googling I found that LoJack should not cost more than $695. (which is still a somewhat high price). Charging double is simply not fair. Smart center Englewood also looked me in the eye and told me that the price they were charging me for LoJack was a lower than normal price. When I called them back on it the day after purchase, he laughed at me. He said that they can charge what ever they want for items like LoJack.

Learn from my mistake and don't support dealers like smart center Englewood who take advantage of their customers.

not smart.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
[...] I found that LoJack should not cost more than $695. (which is still a somewhat high price). Charging double is simply not fair. [...]
To ease your mind somewhat, if I remember correctly, there are two lo-jack services: one "cheaper" (in the $600 range) for the basic system that is limited to Law Enforcement equipped entities; and a "more expensive" one (in the $1,000 range) that also calls pre-programmable specific phone numbers, like the owner's?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts