Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
smart is the first car brand to develop its own drive app for the iPhone. Together with the vehicle-specific smart cradle for the iPhone the popular phone becomes a multimedia trip computer that is optimised for the smart fortwo in terms of function and design.
The smart drive app for the iPhone has all the important features needed whilst driving: phone calls via hands-free system, your own extensive music collection, internet radio and a clever navigation system with a special smart touch. There are also smart extras – for example the Car Finder that will guide you back to wherever you parked your car. The new smart drive app for the iPhone boasts an outstanding design and is simple to operate thanks to extra large buttons. The new app makes urban mobility even easier and more fun - the declared objective of smart's philosophy.
smart drive kit for the iPhone: More safety and lifestyle | Daimler > Brands & Products > News

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Looks interesting. It'll depend on cost: it has to remain proportional to the car's. If it's a MB line kind of price, it may not fly.
Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Money is no object - they've already bought an iPhone. :p

Is there an app for that?

A camera fitted on the windscreen is needed as an additional element to transmit pictures of the area in front of the car to the smart drive kit for the iPhone via WLAN. This will enable the future application to identify traffic signs with speed limits, for example, and to warn the driver if he or she is driving too fast. In future smart drive will be both an infotainment and a driver assistance system.
Or they could just look at the sign and slow down....

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Looks like a very good deal, if the software is functional and well-designed. As we both have iPhones already, this solution could be ideal for us.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any iPad featuring 3G will also feature the exact same GPS as the iPhone 3GS already features: "Assisted GPS", a/k/a A-GPS.

- * -

By the way, there was another thread on this iPhone kit here:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/new-iphone-app-smart-29853/#post315755
Wrong.

"Assisted GPS" on the iPhone 3GS means that during a GPS application startup the iPhone 3GS uses Wi-Fi triangulation from a company called SkyHook Wireless to help speed up locking into at least 3 GPS satellites required for GPS triangulation, but the iPhone 3GS still has a dedicated GPS chipset. The iPad does not yet include a dedicated GPS chipset. You cannot have assisted GPS on any device without a GPS chipset.

·
Registered
218 Posts
:rolleyes:

´Nuff said.
Just because Apple calls it assisted GPS does not make it true assisted GPS. How do I know? I work as a Database Engineer for a large GPS chipset manufacturer. You really shouldn't take "marketing babble" as the truth. You will only make a fool out of yourself to people who know the facts.

The four aGPS options are:

Standalone - Your handset has no connection to the network, and uses only the GPS satellite signals it can currently receive to try and establish a location.

MS Based - Your handset is connected to the network, and uses the GPS signals + a location signal from the network.

MS Assisted - Your handset is connected to the network, uses GPS signals + a location signal then relays its 'fix' to the server, which then uses the signal strength from your phone to the network towers to further plot your position. You can still maintain voice communication in this scenario, but not 'Internet/Network service' ie Web Browser, IM, streaming TV etc..

MS Assisted/Hybrid - Same as above, but network functionality remains. Normally only in areas with exceptional coverage.

The current iPad does not have the ability to meat any of the above specifications for aGPS. The only iPad that "might" have this ability in the future is the 3G model if Apple decides to use the same GPS chipset as they do in the iPhone 3GS.

What Apple is calling "Assisted GPS" is not correct. They are just using WiFi location using the Skyhook Wireless service.

And just in case you are wondering....

The iPhone 3Gs can do both Standalone or MS Assisted/Hybrid aGPS.

"Nuff said". :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You really shouldn't take "marketing babble" as the truth. You will only make a fool out of yourself to people who know the facts.

Glad to see you have access to
  • an iPad with "Assisted GPS" (as published by Apple on its Tech Specs), and you have been able to compare to
  • an iPhone 3GS with "Assisted GPS" (as published by Apple on its Tech Specs)...
... And you have been able to identify the differences. You know, not very many people have had the chance to use an iPad, much less to crack the case and see the circuitry inside. I salute you.

Thank you for setting the record straight.:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Glad to see you have access to
  • an iPad with "Assisted GPS" (as published by Apple on its Tech Specs), and you have been able to compare to
  • an iPhone 3GS with "Assisted GPS" (as published by Apple on its Tech Specs)...
... And you have been able to identify the differences. You know, not very many people have had the chance to use an iPad, much less to crack the case and see the circuitry inside. I salute you.

Thank you for setting the record straight.:D
But of course you are right, everything that is posted on the Internet is true even if the facts don't support it. :rolleyes:

FYI, the ONLY iPad that would be able to support aGPS is the 3G version as the 3G chipset that Apple uses also includes GPS capibility. The WiFi version does not have a 3G chipset included and thus cannot support true aGPS. The WiFi version can only use SkyHook Wireless XPS (NOT aGPS). http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/

Apple is not the only manufacture to tout their product has "Assisted GPS" when in fact it's not the case.

With that said, I'm a huge Apple fanboy and I will be pre-ordering my iPad... I own 5 different Macs, have 2 iPhones and 2 Apple routers and have been a Mac owner since 1985. But even I know that all manufacturers (yes even Apple) like to stretch the truth when possible to sell more product. You on the other-hand prefer to believe everything that a manufacturer says without checking the facts. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Looks interesting, too bad it's so high priced. I think I'll just stick with my TomTom mount.
Yes, based on the nearly absolute lack of enthusiasm for this device across the two smart ForTwo-iPhone Nav threads on this forum, I'd wager this is not going to be a crazy all-out sales success.

Me, I'll be happy if Penske at least offers it here in the States so I don't have to go hunting in Europe to buy one. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts