Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But new york and California have extended the EV drivetrain warranty by law.
But MB because of that little descicant, will deny any warranty if you did not buy new one from them
My point was that it is a 50-state Federal requirement that the battery have an 8-year warranty. But in CARB states (which is supposed to include my state of Pennsylvania) , the required warranty is supposed to be 10 years or 150k miles.

Regarding the dessicant, I would think that that would fall under laws that manufacturers cannot mandate dealer service or manufacturer-only parts to keep a warranty intact. The idea that only MB's silica gel is the only "legit" silica gel is laugable. It's like a tire maker requiring that you use only "their" air for the warranty to be intact.

·
17,390 Posts
Can a moderator help us with this? Only a fraction of impacted Smart owners ever see this forum. What is most important is something put on this forum - using the right keywords that people doing a Google search will find. I.e. don't use "bricked" battery, use "battery failure" or something.
So this isn't the first time a SCoA member has called for a class action against smart for some reason or another.

The longtime official stance from Admin and Mods is that this forum doesn't participate in or aid in lawsuits/legal action. That includes using the forum to pool participants for a class action. Feel free to sue smart/MB to your heart's desire, however the forum shouldn't be your platform for said suit. We've had a very bad experience with this in the past (hence the stance) and do not wish to repeat it. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Is someone at least allowed to announce in this forum other means of communication outside of this forum for certain purposes?

Can we use the PM utility for messaging on this matter? Are PM's here confidential?

·
17,390 Posts
Very good questions! We sent you a PM. Best plan of action is to contact the Administrator and get their official word on how they think this should be handled. :)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,641 Posts
Got popcorn? Poking that sleeping bear on a Friday night . . .

Has anyone approached this group?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems like it’s a good place to start.
Having a car with 20k dead and a $10k price tag time repair just isn’t right.
And only 2 year warranty on the replacement battery.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts