Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite curious about the Smart ED demographic. I've seen that there are some young and some retired people, but I don't get a feel for the typical age group is.

About 10 years ago when Toyota debuted Scion, they were targeting the 16-30 age group, but plenty of cost-conscious retirees got the picture too.

It was fairly obvious that the majority of Scion owners were in their 20s and 30s. But where are the majority of Smart ED owners?

From Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard it looks like there are only 600 :smartje.wt.zw: of us in the US

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I wonder if the ED demographics are significantly different than the ICE demographics.

My observation of the latter, from smart swarms like the Nationals and Tail of the Dragon, is that most owners are somewhere around my age. i.e., old farts.

·
Registered
465 Posts
36, married, 5 kids. I bought it because I wanted to go electric and it was under $30,000. I didn't want to spend much on my first electric vehicle because I didn't know what to expect. I'm normally into fast cars, so this has been a humbling experience. This replaced my modified CLK55. Everyone thought I was crazy - they still do.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . from smart swarms like the Nationals and Tail of the Dragon, is that most owners are somewhere around my age. i.e., old farts.
While I must agree that most ICE owners are card carrying members of The Gray Vigilantes, don't know that The Nationals and TOD are truly representative of ICE "owner demographics."

The youthful owner(s) have a life and are not likely to commit to a LONG road trip for a weekend gathering of folks who have "aged like a fine wine" swapping smart (and not-so-smart) stories? :D

Note: currently it will be difficult to create a "smart swarm" of Ed's unless they all live within 40 miles of one another . . . :wink: ADVANTAGE - ICE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I must agree that most ICE owners are card carrying members of The Gray Vigilantes, don't know that The Nationals and TOD are truly representative of ICE "owner demographics."

The youthful owner(s) have a life and are not likely to commit to a LONG road trip for a weekend gathering of folks who have "aged like a fine wine" swapping smart (and not-so-smart) stories? :D

Note: currently it will be difficult to create a "smart swarm" of Ed's unless they all live within 40 miles of one another . . . :wink: ADVANTAGE - ICE!

Okay you guys got the range and driveability advantage (which i miss) :cry:

but us ED owners are helping with

:cool:

lol @ the E-Tron on there

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would guess that the demographics of this forum are different than the demographics of Smart Car owners. The true demographic is probably available from Daimler-Benz, I'll check into that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
bought it because I wanted to go electric and it was under $30,000. I didn't want to spend much on my first electric vehicle because I didn't know what to expect. I'm normally into fast cars, so this has been a humbling experience. <snip> Everyone thought I was crazy - they still do.
Me too. Plus, I wanted a car that my soon to be driving age son would not get into too much trouble in (like I did at his age). Can only carry one passenger (not 8 :eek:) and top speed is under 70MPH (not 100 :eek:), both of which were solid criteria for staying out of trouble IMHO.

I've owned 300+ HP cars and found that the tickets, tires (8 per year) and costs weren't going to be sustainable.

Plus, I pay for Bullfrog power (100% renewable) making it a guilt free recharge, so I can tick the eco box too should I wish to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
36, married, 5 kids. I bought it because I wanted to go electric and it was under $30,000. I didn't want to spend much on my first electric vehicle because I didn't know what to expect. I'm normally into fast cars, so this has been a humbling experience. This replaced my modified CLK55. Everyone thought I was crazy - they still do.
Holy Smokes... 5 kids!
I'm only 35, but I got married really late, no kids ... yet :wink:
I know that EDSmarty88 is in the same age bracket as EcoBro

I've been an EV fan since the 1990s, I wanted a TZero back then but high school students don't usually have that kind of cash (even to lease).

Nice Infographic, Model ED

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yup, soon my oldest daughter will of driving age, so it makes sense. Passengers are the biggest distraction for new drivers.

BTW, all five kids are girls!

·
Registered
210 Posts
welll, now that mr lambert has officially met me... id like to say i am the youngest of the ED rollers, cruising in at 22 (bday was Nov 9 ;) ) bought the car when i was 21. proud to have said... getting rid of my gas guzzling range rover and my gas guzzling lexus, was a fair move into the ED... small, peppy, free HOV hogging, and free parking in San Jose without having to pay the parking garage or parking meters xD

next on, to the modifications. Sure enough... popularity will rise on in these cars as i am constantly stopped and asked questions about the ED. because these cars are still "rare" to own, i am asked by my dealership to always come back and demo my car (only ED convertible in CA at the moment) soooo i always get freebies time to time. no complaints!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
My guess is that's the ED is more skewed toward those with more disposible income -- not all of course, but I would think it is a relatively strong skew.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm there in between WJLambert and EDSmarty88

I did the math, driving electric car makes sense, to replace my broken bimmer. Although it concerns me for every car i owned seem like getting slower. 300Zx, bmw, now smart ED. Hope im not getting Ford Crown Victoria next car hahaha no offense to Ford Crown Victoria owners

·
Registered
511 Posts
I suspect that many of us "old farts" drive smarts because they just weren't around when we were younger. I myself loved "star trekkie" and "George Jetson" things including cars even more than now if possible.
I'd have bought a smart at 25 in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts