Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'll be honest - I've never been a fan of Smart, until I visited Paris a few years back...the existence of Smart all made sense to me. Living in Canada, where places are far apart unless you live in the city, having a small car isn't the first thing everyone would do. However, due to the increase in gas prices, I've decided to take a look at the Smart ED due to the massive rebate from the government and Benz. I took it for a test drive last week, and I felt in love with it!

I currently drive a Mazdaspeed 3, and my fiance drives a Mini S Coupe. The mini is super on gas, but not my Mazdaspeed. I have no intention to replace my car with the Smart but thinking about getting one to complement it. My commute to work is around 50km each way (I live in Stouffville), with charging station available in the downtown Toronto area. I don't have to drive to work, though. Otherwise, most of my commute for other stuff would definitely be within the range of what ED can provide. It costs me around $70CAD to fill up a tank of gas on my current car, and that gives me 400km range or so. I fill 3-4 tank a month. The lease for a Smart Carbio ED is ~$150/month. From research, the electricity is probably going to cost me $30-40. It makes quite a bit of sense for me to spend the money in a smart ED and pocket some change! I am thinking that the Smart can replace 80% of my drive.

My question is - Is there anyone that doesn't live in the downtown core, or does some commuting owns a Smart ED? I guess my main concern is the range, especially in a Canadian Winter. I would like to hear from someone that doesn't live in the city but also owns a smart ED.

On paper, this makes a lot of sense for me to spend these gas money on a new car and be green. How about in real world? Is there any hidden cost that I am saving (or missing) for owning a ED? Am I actually saving money?

I am very tempted. Especially when dealer told me that I can keep the current deal and customize a new car to my liking that'll be delivering in Dec.

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
832 Posts
For the first 9 months, I was commuting mostly highway west of Boston. 90km round-trip. I had the ability to plug in at work, but except for a handful of extreme winter days (-20C or heavy snow), I could have made it home without. The car handles quite well on the highway and I still don't understand why so many people call it a city car!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since you mention keeping your daily driver what about the added insurance cost? Also, you should be factoring the delivery charges in the neighbourhood of $2200 which adds $61 to your monthly fee for a grand total of $211. Add hydro and insurance and you are probably not coming out ahead.

In our case, my wife was paying $288 to finance a relatively new car plus about $120 in gas monthly, we managed to trade it in for the smart ED resulting in $130 lease payments. No added insurance or gas, only hydro cost and delivery. So we are saving quite a lot.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Since you mention keeping your daily driver what about the added insurance cost? Also, you should be factoring the delivery charges in the neighbourhood of $2200 which adds $61 to your monthly fee for a grand total of $211. Add hydro and insurance and you are probably not coming out ahead.

In our case, my wife was paying $288 to finance a relatively new car plus about $120 in gas monthly, we managed to trade it in for the smart ED resulting in $130 lease payments. No added insurance or gas, only hydro cost and delivery. So we are saving quite a lot.

$2200 for delivery sounds outrageous. What is a hydro cost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input.

You are correct, the $2200 delivery bugs me. I guess it's part of the lease and won't be able to avoid it.

I am planning to insure the existing car under "Leisure" and ED under main. I haven't have a chance to get a quote yet from my broker. How's the insurance for your ED in the GTA? How much commute do you do and what's the average electricity costs?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are correct, the $2200 delivery bugs me. I guess it's part of the lease and won't be able to avoid it.

I am planning to insure the existing car under "Leisure" and ED under main. I haven't have a chance to get a quote yet from my broker. How's the insurance for your ED in the GTA? How much commute do you do and what's the average electricity costs?
Insurance is expensive in Toronto, luckily for us it's only $116 north of the city. Haven't received our first hydro bill yet, but from prior experience I expect $20-$30 more per month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance is expensive in Toronto, luckily for us it's only $116 north of the city. Haven't received our first hydro bill yet, but from prior experience I expect $20-$30 more per month.
Thanks, $116 sounds nice to me. I am paying $170 for my Mazdaspeed 3. Hopefully combining both cars and one as leisure won't put it too far off from what I am paying now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I commute from Dundas (Hwy 6 & 403 area) to Mississauga Road & 401 daily. If I take the highway (403) it's about 50km each way. Typically I take the sideroads - Dundas and Britannia, a little slower but shorter at only 44km. I can easily get back and forth with room to spare. Mind you, I really like driving in the HOV lanes when there is traffic.
Hydro is not too bad. Perhaps $10 more a month. I setup to charge, when necessary, after 7pm when the rate is lowest. Usually though, this is only on the weekends when I don't have an L2 charger available like I do at work.
Insurance went down, I was driving a 2007 Hyundai Accent GS 3 door hatch but after getting a 2014 Smart it dropped about $20 a month (now $109 a month).

·
Registered
56 Posts
We live in downtown Toronto. Insurance for pleasure use is $800 per year. Broker told me there is an extra EV discount. So cheaper than our 05 diesel smart.

Electricity costs about $10 more a month if we charge off peak (at night). This is for infrequent charging due to low usage at home while we spend our summer at the cottage (we are retired).

Zero maintenance costs for first 6 months. Dealer rebooted car under warranty to address mobile app updating issues. However, the preconditioning and charge and depart feature has never worked. Fortunately these are not critical issues for us because we have a garage and I don't mind going out and plugging the car in before I go to bed (to take advantage of off peak electricity rates.

We love the car and would use it a lot more if we could drive it to our cottage which is 245 km away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ED for non-city

We love the car and would use it a lot more if we could drive it to our cottage which is 245 km away.
Funny you brought that up. Walmart started selling a portable inverter generator (Clean pure power, not modified waveform), tiny little thing, can carry with one hand and fits in the tightest places. They had them on for $188 a while back so I grabbed one. I wanted it for camping, but it has just enough power to charge the car with the factory charger on low (8 amp), mind you, I had to modify the plug with a ground to neutral modification to get the charger to recognize a ground, a 50 cent fix with a resistor.
Point is, I was on my way just north of Six Mile Lake and I stopped just south of Barrie at a public camp. Stayed overnight, generator running to give the car a little hit of juice. Made it fine. Not an option I like to use but the further north you go the less public chargers you can find. Got to my location and was able to plug in to a normal outlet. I really like going green but the generator was a necessity to bring up for to charge some power tools in the bush.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A 100km commute is completely within the Smart ED range for temperatures ranging from -5C to 26C. Since you intend to lease, you should have no concerns on battery life, as you will likely see little if any reduction in range over the 3 year term.

Higher temperatures require air conditioning and very low temperatures require constant defrosting, both of which will reduce range to barely 100km in highway driving conditions you listed.

Therefore, there will be perhaps 15 days in a year where the commute is on the very edge of the full range. For those days, a 30 minute charge up would add the 10km of range needed to complete the journey without the excitement of traveling at very low state of charge (SOC).

Personally, I've taken my Smart ED right to the edge of the SOC (zero) multiple times, and had no issues. I am confident taking 120km round trips, having done so on a few occasions.

Given that you will have a second car for extreme conditions, you should absolutely consider the Smart ED! I look forward to my commute now because of this electric car, in contrast to years past where I dreaded getting into my gas powered car for my drive to work.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The overnight rate in Ontario including transmission, taxes and other charges comes to around 12c/kWh (whereas 7.5c is the base rate before fees).

At 1600km per month, and averaging 16kWh/100km (about what a non-city drive would get), that would be $30 in electricity to commute in the Smart ED.

Insurance on the ED is very reasonable, about $30 per month cheaper for a new Smart ED for me compared to the ten year old four door Ford it replaced. That's a big win!

Frankly, when your wife figures out what a great little car the Smart ED is, she might be taking it to her work and leaving you with the other car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts