Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to know what grade of oil is in there?

I have the mercedes online manual and cannot find anything.
Was thinking since mine has over 53K and was in a dusty environment in its last life, and a hard commute environment now.
Maybe my mileage will improve with oil that is clean pure and maybe lighter weight.
Can I send sample to a lab to have it tested?

Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
You've got a one speed transmission there, so I wouldn't expect any miracles as far as a mileage increase. What are you getting on a charge? If 75+, then your are doing about as well as you can expect. I certainly would not put a lighter weight fluid in there. It's made it 53K miles with the proper fluid - why mess with success? BTW, nice to see your electric with nice high miles. Good luck for another 53K.

This is who I use for oil analysis, although I'm not sure if an analysis will tell you much or make you do anything that you wouldn't already be doing.

http://www.perfanalysis.com/car-care/engine-oil-analysis/

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I were inclined to change the gear oil (which I'm not) that Smart says is lifetime, I'd be inclined to do so once in the vehicle's life around 5-10K miles on the theory to rid the gearbox oil of any early break-in wear particles. I'd be inclined to use the factory-spec fluid here. (I'm not generally the type to think that only the factory knows best, but for a once-lifetime change, why do any research?)

I don't think the payoff value is there for the cost and effort, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Following this thread. No oil is lifetime, they usually refer to "lifetime" as in lifetime of the vehicle. I usually drain and fill my 100k ICE cars with lifetime fluid when they are no longer the right color. Hopefully someone knows the correct fluid being that putting in the wrong one will do more harm than good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts