Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, since there's no oil to change would an electric drive owner save money in the long run with maintenance fees or do you have to bring it in to get the battery fluffed or some such thing?

Mobile 1 oil changes are pricey, not to mention the 20K, 40K, and 60K services.

· Registered
624 Posts
Just curious, since there's no oil to change would an electric drive owner save money in the long run with maintenance fees or do you have to bring it in to get the battery fluffed or some such thing?

Mobile 1 oil changes are pricey, not to mention the 20K, 40K, and 60K services.
Can speak to EV's in general and believe that someone already posted the smart Ed maintenance schedule and it's about the same ... all you have are tire rotations (DIY or dealer, etc.), annual battery checks (dealer), 2 or 3 year brake flushes (DIY or dealer, etc.) and cabin filter changes (DIY, dealer, etc.). The smart Ed does have a battery cooling system so that would be in addition to the above. It's quite cheap to keep -- our 1 1/2 year LEAF has cost me just a $20 tire rotation -- next one in about 2.5K miles when it has 15K; first battery check was free as well as the others will be at Nissan. Not sure what smart dealers will charge for these but should hopefully be minimal or free as well as all they do is plug in to a diagnostic computer. Again, no timing belt, plugs, exhaust system, injectors, etc., etc., and the electric motor doesn't typically need any maintenance to speak of.

· Administrator
30,043 Posts
Here's what it says

Maintenance
every 12,500 miles or every year
Vehicle interior
Check brake system for proper function
Check parking brake, adjust if necessary with separate work order
Check exterior lighting, high beam flasher, hazard warning lamp, turn signal lamps,
horn and headlamp range adjustment for proper operation
Check warning/indicator lamps and electrical consumers for proper operation
depending on the vehicle equipment: Power windows, interior illumination, rear
window heater, seat heater, illumination of switches and display instruments,
cigarette lighter and mirror adjustment
Check controls of heater and ventilation for proper operation and ease of movement:
All blower motor level settings and the airflow from the vents
Check Soft top for function
Check windshield washer system and front windshield wiper for proper operation and
spray pattern
Check rear window washer system and wiper for proper operation and spray pattern
Reset maintenance interval display in instrument cluster
Check seat belts and buckles for external damage and correct operation
Replace combination filter
Check TIREFIT tire repair kit (special equipment) – expiration date. If expired,
replace with separate work order
Check condition of 12 volt battery using "Midtronics EXP 717" tester
Replace battery in vehicle key
Doors, flaps
Central locking: Check function. Lubricate locks and hinges (lower section of tailgate:
wax hinges)
Outside of vehicle
Check bodywork for paintwork damage without removal of parts. In the event of damage
perform repair with separate work order
Check windshield for condition
Check the front lamps, rear lamps and side marker lamps
:)

· Registered
4,682 Posts
Change key batteries every year! Check cigarette lighter? Oh please. Make work project.

95% of the crap on that list is something the owner would notice is malfunctioning.

Reactions: BB Benz

· Registered
465 Posts
Change key batteries every year! Check cigarette lighter? Oh please. Make work project.

95% of the crap on that list is something the owner would notice is malfunctioning.
Yup, I agree. They'll probably want $500 to do all that. I asked for pricing but they haven't provided it yet. The only thing I can justify paying for it the diagnostic test of the battery and the desiccant replacement.

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,194 Posts
When your list of Annual Service items includes - "Lubricate locks and hinges (lower section of tailgate: wax hinges)"

Appears that M-B has taken make work/make money to a whole new level!

Wonder how many pages of the ED maintenance documentation is devoted to how to wax the tailgate hinges? :rolleyes:

In a perfect world, the lack of maintenance on an ED is why some dealers may choose to not be party to the Gen 3 roll-out - little to no post delivery revenue?

· Registered
1,140 Posts
The only thing I saw that was "vital" in any of the material I read was the replacement of the radiator fluid. They list a specific part number since it's a special non-conductive coolant, as the line wraps through the battery pack and around the electric motor for cooling as needed. That and the break/wiper fluid accounts for just about all the "moving" parts of the car. Between that and the rubber bits, that's all it has to maintain.

· Registered
7 Posts
I am also looking for the instruction of replacing the combination filter.

I believe I find the location of the combination filter but it just hard to remove. Some help will be great.

Beside, where I can buy the coolant instead of paying extra $$ to Mercedes.

Thanks for help

· aka 'smart-1'
2,040 Posts
I am also looking for the instruction of replacing the combination filter.

I believe I find the location of the combination filter but it just hard to remove. Some help will be great.

Beside, where I can buy the coolant instead of paying extra $$ to Mercedes.

Thanks for help
Replacing the Combo/Cabin Filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOK9aCnBYdk

· Registered
202 Posts
So another thread on the Battery Dessicant DIY said that the dessicant is every other year, not every year. I can't find any official schedule online to confirm this. Anyone else?

Based on online pricing for a MANN cabin filter and Rainx Wipers, if you add in the dessicant filter... the annual Smart ED maintenance DIY cost is a mere $105. Cheapest car I have ever owned!

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Maintenance manual says every other year for the desiccant cartridge. So drop the annual service cost down to about $75. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 4,500 miles

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
I can't find one that cheap. $52 (shipped) is the best I've found so far. Got a secret source for a $30 filter?? :D
I thought you were figuring a desiccant cartridge every year, so I just cut the cost down to every other year. $52 is about the best I've seen lately too. Also, I do check my cabin filter every year, but it is so clean yet that it's going to be at least a two if not an every three year job. Probably the same with the wipers. Do have to add in ten bucks every two years for brake fluid flush, so that might bring my annual cost up to almost $50 a year some years. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 4,000 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.