Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. Recently (last 2 months) it has been quite hot here in Georgia, and when my son comes home from work ED is about 20% remaining. ED is plugged in and come next morning (we have a Siemens Level2), it shows charged (Siemens unit/solid green and turned off for charge) yet ED shows 90%. I know it could always be the Siemens unit but, has anyone experience this? :shrug:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its been 80-90F here off and on and my wife drives our ED about 34 miles each way to work. Since she charges at work the car is rarely below 40%.

We've never seen it stop short @90%. I'd kinda like that personally, but in a controlled manner. Not out of the blue.

You could ask your MB service dudes. If it's some weirdness it should be covered.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It could not be the EVSE - It receives no information on the car's state of charge and it turns the power to the car off on a signal from the car only.

It could be the gauge itself is defective - is the SOC at the end of a the usual usage 10 percent lower as well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my charging stop short of 100% (usually 95%) over the last week in CA, using Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. It has also been obscenely hot during the same time period. I'm assuming that it has something to do with voltage protection in the battery pack, but will be curious to see if the problem resolves itself once the temperatures get back down to say, 100 for a daily high.

ETA - seems like 90 is the cutoff from this thread.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/stops-95-both-level-2-trickle-charge-99881/

·
Registered
386 Posts
This might be one of those things where battery temperature might be the trigger. Being hot outside might mean a thermal cut off is triggering to protect the battery?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Doesn't the cooling system ensure that the battery is at the proper temperature? If the battery comes into the garage hot, doesn't the cooling system run until it's at a suitable temperature for charging? Because I think the opposite is true - if the battery is too cool, it uses the external current to heat the battery until it is warm enough to be charged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts