Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the roll out for the rest of us is happening; got this from the Indy smart center this morning: The electric drive is Indiana bound!

They are taking orders now, saying there is a "limited supply." :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Looks like the roll out for the rest of us is happening; got this from the Indy smart center this morning: The electric drive is Indiana bound!

They are taking orders now, saying there is a "limited supply." :confused:
Locally here in the Carolinas they began taking orders in late November 2013.

Initial orders were dealer equipped with a couple folks putting up a non-refundable $1,000 deposit to be the first on their block.

4 slots were available for ED pre-orders being produced this month with the first wave being delivered in late-February/early-March.

There are no details available on the 50-state lease program but rumor has it that it may not be as attractive as the initial roll out?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are no details available on the 50-state lease program but rumor has it that it may not be as attractive as the initial roll out?
The lease deal on the SmartUSA website is better than the 2013 deal. $999 down $139/month + taxes and fees. Previously you had to put $1999 down.

My local dealer wanted $500 non-refundable deposit, but wouldn't talk numbers until late Feb/March. I ended up calling around and got a 2013 out of state and had it shipped. It wasn't as easy and took longer than I thought, but I think I got a pretty good deal.

$0 down and the dealer paid all taxes and fees. I only need to pay 35 monthly payments for the glider + BAP and the return fee if I don't lease another Smart.

Of course since I didn't want to wait, I had to pay to ship the car to GA from out of state and had to get one with the expensive Nav option I didn't really want.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In most states it's whatever the traffic will bear, including those ludicrous dealer "doc fees." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Perhaps IL as well

But we'll see ... the IL Green Fleets site recently added the smart Ed for their 10% MSRP cash rebate so would assume they're anticipating it being available soon enough. They also added the Cadillac ELR as well. Of course they still won't cover leased cars but an extra $2,500 to $2,800 off (depending on model) wouldn't hurt ... our doc fees are regulated as well so no funny business there, plate fees are cheap for EV's as well ($18/year). Bad time of the year to push EV's though with our cold temps ... would still love to see them finally here in Chicago !!!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
..well....that's funny....we bought 3 smarts from Indy center and no notification of EV's yet...and mind you...I sent them a request a while back to be notified when they were made available...

Jetfuel...go figure........

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
..well....that's funny....we bought 3 smarts from Indy center and no notification of EV's yet...and mind you...I sent them a request a while back to be notified when they were made available...

Jetfuel...go figure........
And those bone heads know I can't stand them, and they sent me an email.... Go figure....>:D

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
M-B, desperately in need of CAFE credits continues to search for that "right EPA business model" for selling/leasing ED's on which there is little to NO PROFIT . . .

50-state lease details remain sketchy, but without dealer "contribution" the Lessee may be paying a Cap Reduction of upwards of $1,999?

Additional Incentives ($1,000 smart Customer Loyalty Cash, etc.) carry those three little words - Excludes Electric Drives.

As with everything smart, YMMV . . .

Interesting 2017 Cafe Credit Calculation factiod . . .

Then there’s extra credit for electric, plug-in hybrid, and fuel-cell vehicles. These machines already garner very high CAFE ratings, as they use little or no gasoline, but to encourage their sales, the government will factor each sale of an electric vehicle by 2.0 in model year 2017.

In other words, if you sell 10,000 electric vehicles—either battery powered or fuel cell—they will be counted as 20,000 when calculating that company’s fleet fuel economy. This factor will phase down to a multiplier of 1.5 by 2021. For plug-in hybrids, the factor will start at 1.6 in 2017 and phase down to 1.3 in 2021.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-cafe-numbers-game-making-sense-of-the-new-fuel-economy-regulations-feature

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That helps explain the B-Class EV; there's certainly no other reason for it here, IMHO of course. :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Just learned that my personal smart ELECTRIC DRIVE cabrio has a build date of March 2!

Yippee ! ! !

Build, ship, deliver, and I should have it by spring?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts