Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my work changed from driving a zillion miles around the eastern half of the US to primarily just driving around our mid-sized city. My old road car (SAAB wagon) was no longer what I needed, so I began to look at my options.

Electric vehicle tech intrigues me and I also began to compile a list of vehicle interior specs, especially head room and leg room. I am 6'6" so that is a factor! In the end, I had to realize that my search led me to the smart electric drive and since taking delivery in early January, 2015, It has been fun to drive and reliable. And, I actually fit comfortably!

There has been lots to learn in making the change to electric, but I love the smooth feel of the power. The 453 cars look really good, so it is possible that we may make a trade when the electric version (2017) is available.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,971 Posts
Hey, Mark.

Been in search of the SECOND (our MY15 was a 2014 Black Friday delivery) ED in Charlotte.

Hit me with a PM and we can meet...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, we ordered ours in August and they said that they were only scheduling 2015 ED's at that point. We took delivery 5 January, 2015. I think ours was the first sold by smart center south (Felix Sabates M-B). I work near the Plaza-Midwood area so send me a message if you expect to be in the area.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We are also waiting to add a second smart electric to the Family but will wait until the 453 Electric makes it out. Sure wish they would release a little more news on what it will be. 130 miles of range is pretty much double what we will ever need so using the 2 X the expected needed range formula, that is what we are hoping for. Anyone see any rumours out there worth repeating???

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
7,971 Posts
Sure wish they would release a little more news on what it will be. 130 miles of range is pretty much double what we will ever need so using the 2 X the expected needed range formula, that is what we are hoping for. Anyone see any rumours out there worth repeating???
Nothing wrong with "hoping" but I doubt that the MY?? 453 ED will "double" the current 68ish mile range?

Minor adjustment to the smarts width (and battery pack) won't allow for the addition of many cells. Don't see any quantum leaps in battery technology?

Speaking for many current owners, lessening the range degradation from cold weather would be a welcome improvement.

Hope that the kw output of the on-board charger is improved and that it can handle the DC Quick Charge as we currently can't utilize that option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts