Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a Nissan Leaf since beginning of 2013. I drive around ~70 miles each day, that is the round trip from home to work.
I drive basically on freeway, it is California, we dont have pot holes but we have some small bumps here and there.
For the first two years the car have been great. It is now with almost 60K miles.
Now, the problem... After those two years the car started to have alignment issues, I have to change tires very often and that it is eating any savings I was supposed to be doing on gas .
The car is always misaligned somewhere, causing the tires to wear quickly. Two months ago I asked the dealer to install new tires on the back and move the back tires to front. The tires in the back were very good as I changed it 6 months back. this month I went again to the dealer because the tire on the right side of the car was wearing on the outside border much faster than the other side. That was another component that was misaligned...

I'm tired of changing\buying tires, what I saved on gas for those years are now going on tires.

I was looking for another electric car and my options are the Smart Electric, VW Golf and Ford Focus.

What I would like to know from the owner of the Smart Electric how is the car regarding maintenance? Is the car always misaligned? Any issue on driving it every day on a long drive on freeway?

Now, about the price. I see the new car is around 24K and, based on a post here on the forum, you can buy one for half of that price. Is that the case? How is the depreciation on this car? I see Smart Electric 2014 on Edmund, in a car dealer close to my home, selling for ~7K.

Thank you very much,
Marcelo

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have had my smart ED for 2-1/2 years. (May 2014)

I drive it everyday.

I am still on my original set of tires.
(No maint issues, no alignment issues.)

Define your term "a long drive on freeway"?

The advertised range for a smart ED is 85 miles
(that is drastically reduced the longer you drive at highway speeds. Same with all electric vehicles)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I prefer leasing electric vehicles. There are going to be many changes over the next few years that will keep making them better. That's why they're difficult to "sell" for what they are worth. People don't want to buy and take ownership of a 68 mile range car unless they are going to literally pay peanuts for it. The smart EV lease is really affordable. I am willing to help with that if you want to contact me. There are still a few left.

Where in California do you live? SoCal? or NorCal?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
I drive around ~70 miles each day, that is the round trip from home to work.
I drive basically on freeway, it is California,...

I see Smart Electric 2014 on Edmund, in a car dealer close to my home, selling for ~7K.
Marcelo, welcome to SCoA aka The Asylum.

Unless your employer provides a Level 2 charging station at work your 70 mile RT commute won't be possible in the 451 ED.

Next generation MY17 453 ED, possible.

As for a previously owned MY14 ED listed by a dealer at $7K, may be sled only +$80 monthly BAP rent?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Marcelo, welcome to SCoA aka The Asylum.

Unless your employer provides a Level 2 charging station at work your 70 mile RT commute won't be possible in the 451 ED.

Next generation MY17 453 ED, possible.

As for a previously owned MY14 ED listed by a dealer at $7K, may be sled only +$80 monthly BAP rent?
Level 1 charging all day should suffice for the 70 miles round trip. Under the right circumstances I can pull that off without a charger.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Catonsville MD Mercedes still has, last I checked, a beautiful white/black electric cabrio. I think they want high $16s for it. After fed and state rebate that's about $7500-$8k for the car, battery included, no lease. You can't go wrong at that price even if you have to ship it.
And if you get it at that price, who cares about depreciation, dealer's already eaten most of it. :)

These cars are good for 90 miles city, not sure about highway but if you baby it on the highway you should easily get your 70 miles in....

·
Registered
105 Posts
First and foremost, there's absolutely no reason to live with wheel misalignment in the first place! Especially with a fairly new car. Some dealerships simply don't know how to correct misalignment, and those that do, most don't know how to return the steering wheel to point straight when done. Been there done that. Take it back. 6 or 7 times if you have to. Then speak with the service manager, tell him you're taking the car to somewhere that specializes in alignment. He'll likely offer to pick up the tab. If he doesn't, suggest he needs to, you've already paid once for the service. They don't ever want you griping about them online, to your friends, your family....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for the info...

Long drive on freeway means that, from my house to my work is basically ~35 miles driving on freeway.
I don't want to drive slow to save battery, I want to get home as quick as I can.
Going to work I will be almost constantly at 65-70 mph.
Going back home is painful, half of the way will be quick, the other half is very slow because of the traffic. This one will be a range between 0 and 70 mph :).

About chargers to recharge the car, at my work we have many, will be hard to not find one available. People are very good also on removing the car after the charge is complete.

With the Leaf I'm able to go to work and go back home without charging. I don't do that because it stress me out at the last miles but I did few times. Not sure about the Smart, will it be able to do that? Counting on that for the cases where there is a power outage and I'm not able to charge my car....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts