Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2 Mercedes dealers in my area (Cleveland) will no longer be selling Smart cars, but apparently will still service them. Since Smart will only be producing electric vehicles, the dealers said that Ohio is not really embracing the electric car phenomena. I do have an interest in purchasing an electric Smart, but (a) don't know where to get one, (b) don't know if there are many charging stations around, and (c) am unsure of the mileage I'll get. Articles I've read have said the range is about 80 miles on a full charge, while Smart's website is saying 124 miles of city driving. Any comments from those who have an electric Smart? Was it a good decision for you?

·
Super Moderator
1,570 Posts
Absolutely the best decision on buying a car(s) I've ever made. Got the previous model, and there are still a few brand new ones out there for an absolute steal. I can give you contact info for a dealer where they are available.

If you are looking to buy the newest version, I'd probably touch base with the two Smart car sales guys we have on board. Smartcar Dan is in Boston/Linville and Mister_Smart_LA in LA are their screen names and you can find links to them in the EV forum.

Delivery can be arranged on either the Paragraph 1 cars or the Paragraph 2 cars. I bought both of mine long distance without ever setting foot in the dealer showroom.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 1,600 miles

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
I know the Cincy smart dealer will be selling the ED; not sure about the Columbus dealer. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smart's website says 58 Mile Range. 124 the is MPGe. 58 is likely a conservative number. Real world you'll likely get more if you drive conservatively and don't use heat/AC.

It's a great car and I'd love a new one the design is more appealing to me than the previous model. Oddly though there are no cars available in the San Francisco or San Jose dealers. I'm not sure if they are just selling well and have to be ordered from the factory or selling so badly they won't stock them. I'd think they'd at least have one to look at/test drive.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
smart Center-West Covina lists a good number of 453 electric drives in their current inventory. Some of them even have the touchscreen infotainment system with rear back-up camera. Get in touch with Kamaal Peterson at (626) 481-3369 or e-mail at: [email protected]. They know how to arrange to ship your car even if it is out of state.

·
Registered
922 Posts
A few years ago, I was pretty pointedly against getting an electric car. It just didn't work for us because at the time, my Mom was in a nursing home and we potentially had to run there, about a 40 mile round trip from home or work on the freeway, at a moment's notice.

The last couple of years, though, we looked at our driving patterns and saw that probably 80-90% of our trips are no more than 40 miles in total, with many just a couple of miles. And at least 95% of these are with two or fewer people.

We also have other gasoline vehicles that we won't be selling, which we use when we need more space, speed, or range. The Smart has a garage spot and we made electricity available at a convenient spot for the supplied plug-in charger.

For this use, our 451 Smart is perfect. We've only had it since early June, but now have 3500 miles on it. We charge it up every night when we need it and have only once or twice wanted to use it when it wasn't charged up enough - we took one of our gasoline vehicles instead. In solely city traffic, we get somewhere around 80-100 miles of range. Highway range at real speeds of 70 MPH (indicated 75-76 MPH) is probably 55-60 miles. We're expecting that our coldest winter conditions, in the 20-30 degree F. range, may decrease range by about 30%.

So, if you don't consistently need more range or carrying capacity, have ready access to a charger, and will drive it on a schedule where it can be charging for 8-10 hours at a shot consistently, then there are few vehicles which will serve you better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 2 Mercedes dealers in my area (Cleveland) will no longer be selling Smart cars, but apparently will still service them. Since Smart will only be producing electric vehicles, the dealers said that Ohio is not really embracing the electric car phenomena. I do have an interest in purchasing an electric Smart, but (a) don't know where to get one, (b) don't know if there are many charging stations around, and (c) am unsure of the mileage I'll get. Articles I've read have said the range is about 80 miles on a full charge, while Smart's website is saying 124 miles of city driving. Any comments from those who have an electric Smart? Was it a good decision for you?
a) Both Mister_smart_La (California) and I (Massachusetts) have sold smart cars to remote customers. I've had a few Ohio customers so far, including one from this site, for the gasoline models when we had them, and I'd be happy to help out with an electric model.

b) For charging stations, check out Plugshare.com Most owners tend to plug in at home at an outside outlet or in a garage to recharge overnight. Public charger stations can be convenient if located nearby though.

c) EPA "window sticker" range is 63 city miles, 58 combined city/highway. Their tests got 106 city miles under ideal conditions but generally you'll lose ~30% with A/C, road conditons, weather, etc. smart used a conservative 40% off of the EPA max range test to get the 63 city/58 combined range. (If you drive with ECO mode on, you'll go further than with it off. EPA tests it with ECO mode off). Owners I've talked to plus personal experience is about 80 miles to a charge but depends how you drive and weather. The 124 is MPGe, a nearly useless number just to compared electrical efficiency to other electric cars. Its how efficient the car is rated to be.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
With the more powerful onboard charger of the smart 453 ED, utilizing commercial charging networks like Blink and Chargepoint is also a lovely benefit. Whenever you ventured too far in the smart 451 ED, you could use those Chargepoint and Blink chargers. But there were times you literally would have to wait an hour or two, just to make a reliable enough of a difference to confidently get those miles needed to get you back home.

This time around with the 453, I see scenarios where you charge up and walk next door to a restaurant to eat lunch or dinner. Return to your car with plenty of extra juice to get back home. The 453 with the stronger charging capacity alone makes a tremendous difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
With the more powerful onboard charger of the smart 453 ED, utilizing commercial charging networks like Blink and Chargepoint is also a lovely benefit. Whenever you ventured too far in the smart 451 ED, you could use those Chargepoint and Blink chargers. But there were times you literally would have to wait an hour or two, just to make a reliable enough of a difference to confidently get those miles needed to get you back home.

This time around with the 453, I see scenarios where you charge up and walk next door to a restaurant to eat lunch or dinner. Return to your car with plenty of extra juice to get back home. The 453 with the stronger charging capacity alone makes a tremendous difference.
This has been my experience too. Just Monday I grabbed a charger while at the grocery store and the 453's SoC had increased 15% by the time I got out. The improvement made to the speed of charging is felt even on those brief trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Expected Range at from 20 to 80 mph

I measured the percent power use on the dashboard meter at different speeds on level ground on a 65 degrees (Fahrenheit) day. Knowing that 100% power is 55 kW, and battery capacity is 17.6 kWh, you can use the speed of the car and the percent power reading to calculate how far the car would go if it went at a constant speed while using up the entire battery charge. At about 20 mph you can go about 100 miles; at 60 mph you can go about 50 miles; and at 80 mph you can go about 40 miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I measured the percent power use on the dashboard meter at different speeds on level ground on a 65 degrees (Fahrenheit) day. Knowing that 100% power is 55 kW, and battery capacity is 17.6 kWh, you can use the speed of the car and the percent power reading to calculate how far the car would go if it went at a constant speed while using up the entire battery charge. At about 20 mph you can go about 100 miles; at 60 mph you can go about 50 miles; and at 80 mph you can go about 40 miles.

Putting ECO mode on should increase those about 10%. That would make it consistent with my record of 110 miles at 22 mph and my personal experiences at higher speeds using cruise control on the highway.

EVs get better range in city/stop-&-go traffic where you can coast and send some energy back to the battery via regeneration.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lots of great info here. I bought my 451 cabrio electric from a small used car dealer in New Hampshire, and had it shipped to Durham, NC for pickup. Use Cargurus or Autotrader (set the fuel type to electric) to look for the best deals, and see who will ship to you. Also recommend Plugshare for locating charging in your area (you can only use the J1772 connector), and I'd say either model is good for 60 miles in above 50F weather, drop it to 50 when it's cold. Possibly lower if you get into the teens regularly. If you do get into those winter conditions, I strongly advise a 240v Level 2 home charger so that the battery and cabin preconditioning will not deplete the battery (the included convenience cable isn't sufficient for this task, as I have found out the hard way).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts