Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago I started getting this happy warning from my smart ED:

Apparently the smart wants to be serviced. I've asked the dealer what the service entails, but they're not clear on what it might need done. Apparently the car service indicator wasn't reset when my car was sold to me, so it's basing the service interval from the date of manufacture (which was about a year ago apparently).

It currently reads 21 days.... :) Anyone else seeing this? Or did your dealer reset this before you got it?

Any idea what service it would want? My understanding was that the only service to be done was replacing the coolant used by the battery system, checking tires/wipers, battery levels, and maybe refilling the wiper fluid. Outside that, what's to be done?

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Apparently the smart wants to be serviced. I've asked the dealer what the service entails, but they're not clear on what it might need done.

Any idea what service it would want? My understanding was that the only service to be done was replacing the coolant used by the battery system, checking tires/wipers, battery levels, and maybe refilling the wiper fluid. Outside that, what's to be done?
What does your Ed owners manual list?

Perhaps it's simply that old ploy to get you to spend half a day at the smart/M-B Country Club eating their FREE snacks - credit card required? :wink:

As this is a BRAVE NEW ED WORLD for both M-B/smart and Gen III owners/lessors it is amazing that M-B hasn't sent out "invitations" to a one-year check up with FREE loaner, etc.

Seems that it would be a win-win - Ed upload of a years worth of use data for M-B and the latest software updates for the owner?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
check brakes, axle/transmisison seals for leaks, a/c refrigerant, hoses for leaks, update BMS software, suspension components/wheel alignment, various lights, battery capacity (12V and HV), check ODB2 for errors

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't know how or why it appeared but i saw a 9000 mile service check flash a couple times on the dash a few weeks ago.

And it appeared when i had about 4100 miles so don't know what that means, but haven't seen it since. Anyone else get this?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
So a few days ago I started getting this happy warning from my smart ED:

Apparently the smart wants to be serviced. I've asked the dealer what the service entails, but they're not clear on what it might need done. Apparently the car service indicator wasn't reset when my car was sold to me, so it's basing the service interval from the date of manufacture (which was about a year ago apparently).

It currently reads 21 days.... :) Anyone else seeing this? Or did your dealer reset this before you got it?

When I bought my gas smart my service indicator went off way before my year of ownership, I was told that it was because the fluids ect that went into the car at manufacture still needed to be checked/changed even the car wasn't driven. Could be the same line of thinking in the EV world.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here is the low-down on Smart ED scheduled maintenance.

The ED is supposed to be serviced every 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. The expensive part of the once-a-year service is the battery capacity check. This part of the service is free if you have the Battery Assurance Plus Plan.

The other (minimal) stuff will cost you about $100. It includes fluids, tire check, brake check, etc. Sorry ICE owners...I know you guys pay a lot more.

They will need your car at least the full day, so get yourself a dealer loaner car and enjoy life in a gas guzzler while they check your car.

Hint: If you take your Smart ED in for it's annual check-up, have the battery SOC as LOW as you can and still get to the dealership. To do the capacity check, they have to fully discharge and then recharge the battery pack, and take a few measurements in the process. You will save them a lot of time if you bring it in almost empty...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Roughly how much $$$ for the annual battery check? And why is a battery "check" expensive?

Thx
Because of the time it takes to charge/discharge the battery.
If your MB dealer is like mine, the shop rate is about $149 per hour. They obviously won't charge you by the hour for the charging and discharging, but it would be interesting to see what the book rate is for the service. I'll check into it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They will need your car at least the full day, so get yourself a dealer loaner car and enjoy life in a gas guzzler while they check your car.

Hint: If you take your Smart ED in for it's annual check-up, have the battery SOC as LOW as you can and still get to the dealership.
Problem is, the nearest dealership to me is ~55 miles away. I'm not sure I could even make that trip until the weather goes > 40°F again. If I did, the SOC would be quite low without much trying. The three dealer drives it's done (once there, twice back) have generally wound up with ~20% SOC left, but those were all on warm spring/summer days.

Also, being that far away, a loaner isn't so useful. Drive an hour out in the am, get a loaner, drive another hour back to work, drive back at the end of the day, and hope it's ready to go another hour home? 4 hours of driving in one day is a bit much for a "we want to check the battery" trip.

it is amazing that M-B hasn't sent out "invitations" to a one-year check up
Actually, about a month ago they did just that. They called to remind me I could bring in my smart ED for a free tire rotation before I hit 3K. I laughed, and when asked I told her my mileage was already over 4800. Guess they didn't expect anyone to actually be driving these like "normal" cars.

check brakes, axle/transmisison seals for leaks, a/c refrigerant, hoses for leaks, update BMS software, suspension components/wheel alignment, various lights, battery capacity (12V and HV), check ODB2 for errors
Which is all nice and good, but nothing that can't wait a month or two more when I'll need to take the ICE in for it's 90K and get the snows swapped off for the summer tires again. At least that's how I feel. This will really hing on if delaying will cause issues with BA+/warranty. (Yes, I bought the car with BA+.)

Still waiting for an answer on that... Which in a way is working to my advantage. Since by time they give me an answer, it will likely be too late to schedule an appointment with them within the time frame anyway. I've yet to get a booking less than 2 weeks from when I call to make an appointment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW: I did take it in for service. The main part of the service was a battery check and changing some small (warranty/recall?) part. I also had them update the firmware to V9 while there.

The longest part was waiting for the car to charge up again from empty. The battery test requires a full drain of the HV system. Happily it took 95% to get to the dealer, so there was little left to drain when I got there. (Temps were about 38°F, so it took 95% vs the 80% it took last summer.)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The battery technology is hardly any different than in laptops and handheld devices. I don't see a reason you need to get your battery "checked" if you are having no problems with range.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, It's more for their sanity than mine. But they also are guaranteeing that if it falls below 80% they'll replace it free, so the once-a-year trip seems a small price for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts