Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of pretty cold nights (-13, -2) with the smart sitting outside, and after a change to Mobil 1 0W40 a couple of days before, thought this would be a good test:

Good test, but the smart failed. Not enough battery power is my guess, so it's on the charger (10 amp) right now. :)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Good test, but the smart failed. Not enough battery power is my guess, so it's on the charger (10 amp) right now. :)
Just as you change to snow tires ( and they didn't come with the car) I suggest you think about changing the battery. I think the stock battery is about 450 'CA' ( not 'cca'), the Optima 34/78 (800cca (0 deg F). 6 yr Warranty, 36mo free replacement - 36 MO pro rat.). $139. Sam's Club.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...jw..you are going from position 0 to position 2 without stopping at position 1, allow the computer to run it's diagnostic and turn the cluster lights on before engaging the starter...just a thought...
...jetfuel

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Just as you change to snow tires ( and they didn't come with the car) I suggest you think about changing the battery. I think the stock battery is about 450 'CA' ( not 'cca'), the Optima 34/78 (800cca (0 deg F). 6 yr Warranty, 36mo free replacement - 36 MO pro rat.). $139. Sam's Club.

Donald LaFavor
Don,
Is that an "exact" replacement or do you have to "mess" with the cables?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
SAME EXACT thing happened to me jw. It was the cold and the battery couldn't provide the amps to start the engine I was told by the Penske Jumpers who came to help me out.

While watching your video after the 2nd failure, I was expecting profanity, or crying...I didn't hear either!!! :eek:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Had no problem with our '08 or '09 at -17 and the '08 sat for 3-days not started. Both sit outside in the howling wind too.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Don,
Is that an "exact" replacement or do you have to "mess" with the cables?

I found that the posts are reversed from OEM, however Mercedes provides for either post pattern.

PLUS post: Long enough to reach.

NEGATIVE post: There is a stud protruding from the floor at each end of the battery box. For the 34/78, just move the NEG cable from the stud (10mm nut) to the protruding stud on the floor at the other end of the battery box. Be sure to place the wider flat side of the nut down (It is serrated and has a larger surface for electrical conductivity. Scratching away the paint on the floor away from an area around the post (the size of the terminal) will also assure a good electrical connection.

Batt Hold down: No modification necessary.

Batt Vent: No Batt vent necessary ( You may plug hole in the bottom of the battery box) The Optima is COMPLETELY sealed. NO GASSING !

QUESTIONS ?

Donald LaFavor

·
Super Moderator
28,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good news - about an hour on the charger and it fired right up; my guess is it was just below the trigger voltage needed to start everything up. Took it out for a longish run to the store and it started fine again, so it's getting another night outside.

Donald, this battery is about a year old (01/08 build date) and with any other car that wouldn't call for changing the battery. Surely they don't have to replace the battery after a year in Canada, Sweden or Norway? :confused:

We'll see what happens tomorrow. :)

PS -
While watching your video after the 2nd failure, I was expecting profanity, or crying...I didn't hear either!!!:eek:
No, not until the camera was off! :D

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Euro battries

My experience through the years has been; There is a large variance in consistency of quality control with ALL European batteries, specifically Varta and surprisingly Bosch. Lucas ?...... (well, what can I say?).

I'll put the French and the Italians in the same boat but, Joseph Lucas remains the captain.

Donald LaFavor

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Good news - about an hour on the charger and it fired right up; my guess is it was just below the trigger voltage needed to start everything up. Took it out for a longish run to the store and it started fine again, so it's getting another night outside.

Donald, this battery is about a year old (01/08 build date) and with any other car that wouldn't call for changing the battery. Surely they don't have to replace the battery after a year in Canada, Sweden or Norway? :confused:

We'll see what happens tomorrow. :)
jwight;

When the car wouldn't start, did the engine turn over (albeit slowly) or would it not even do that ?

If the engine turned over, THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH AMPERES AVAILABLE. The starter will take ALL that it needs and the ignition gets what is left over(IF ANY). (simplified explanation).

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
24-42;187257(It is serrated and has a larger surface for electrical conductivity. Scratching away the paint on the floor away from an area around the [/quote said:
...if this is the way of the OEM then I will suggest to inspect the ground for security and remove all traces of paint to provide the best grounding possible...

jetfuel

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I found that the posts are reversed from OEM, however Mercedes provides for either post pattern.

PLUS post: Long enough to reach.

NEGATIVE post: There is a stud protruding from the floor at each end of the battery box. For the 34/78, just move the NEG cable from the stud (10mm nut) to the protruding stud on the floor at the other end of the battery box. Be sure to place the wider flat side of the nut down (It is serrated and has a larger surface for electrical conductivity. Scratching away the paint on the floor away from an area around the post (the size of the terminal) will also assure a good electrical connection.

Batt Hold down: No modification necessary.

Batt Vent: No Batt vent necessary ( You may plug hole in the bottom of the battery box) The Optima is COMPLETELY sealed. NO GASSING !

QUESTIONS ?

Donald LaFavor
Thanks Don,
Exactly the info I was looking for :D

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
...if this is the way of the OEM then I will suggest to inspect the ground for security and remove all traces of paint to provide the best grounding possible...

jetfuel
Can't hurt...... Can help.

Many, many, many Mfgs have had this problem going a long way back.

Toyotas were painted by bath. A small loose leaf shape stickem was put on every grounding post or screw hole(we hoped) and after painting it was removed when attaching ground wire.

Donald LaFavor

·
Super Moderator
28,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jwight;

When the car wouldn't start, did the engine turn over (albeit slowly) or would it not even do that ?

If the engine turned over, THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH AMPERES AVAILABLE. The starter will take ALL that it needs and the ignition gets what is left over(IF ANY). (simplified explanation).

Donald LaFavor
In the video, the engine turned over and almost caught once; other times there was some clicking and then the car shut down (computer turned it off is my guess.) :)

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...big Q here...does the fuel pump runs 'til it pressurizes the rails or starts to run when it sees crank rotation?....

jetfuel

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
jw, can we expect a video of tomorrow's test?!?

I'm pretty confident that it'll start tomorrow, if it doesn't something may be fishy with the battery.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Actually, the car heard somewhere it was going to be traded in on a hybrid. Then it got left out in the cold. Does anyone really wonder why it didn't start? Would you? (LOL)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
In the video, the engine turned over and almost caught once; other times there was some clicking and then the car shut down (computer turned it off is my guess.) :)
The first time the engine 'Clicks', GIVE UP ! There is not enough current to rotate the starter motor.

IMO: the stock battery does NOT have enough reserve for a really cold winter.

Ampere-hours (A·h) is the product of the time that a battery can deliver a certain amount of current (in hours) times that current (in amperes), for a particular discharge period. This is one indication of the total amount of charge a battery is able to store and deliver at its rated voltage. This rating is rarely stated for automotive batteries.

Cranking amperes (CA), also sometimes referred to as marine cranking amperes (MCA), is the amount of current a battery can provide at 32 °F (0 °C). The rating is defined as the number of amperes a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery).

Cold cranking amperes (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

Ask yourself, how close (at the present) is my battery to 100% at 70deg ?

I know of many repair shops in Detroit that sold new batteries with exchange in the winter and then sell the trade-in as a used battery the following summer.

Donald LaFavor

1 - 20 of 38 Posts