Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
I have seen a lot of cars over the years that were to be sold as 'southern cars' with smaller batteries while 'northern cars' had much larger batteries specificly for cold weather. I have always put the largest battery that will fit in my cars. I have had my Smart since August and it has not had any problems starting even in -20f temps for the last few days. Maybe in a year it might have issues, we will see.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
doncha think LOVE would warm up your smart?

oh, that is so sad... poor smartie left to fend for himself in the frigid temps, so cold and lonely, without love. And you say he failed... :rolleyes:

I say you may have failed him, by leaving him out alone for 2 days!

I'm glad he started after a charge. This should be a lesson to all of us -- Run them every day or keep them indoors. We do as much for our pets, right? :D

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
...big Q here...does the fuel pump runs 'til it pressurizes the rails or starts to run when it sees crank rotation?....jetfuel
I have always considered it an honor and responsibility when asked a question by someone who will have faith and belief in my answer.
Diesel engines with direct injection maintain pressure. Indirect injection engines may or may not maintain pressure.

I have no idea about the Mitsu engine. I own the 450 Mercedes and I think it doesn't.

If you recognize "bull$h!t" when you hear it, your question is a great one to pose to the so called factory trained techs. It is a great 'Qualifier'

I'll do some research but, don't forget I am retired. Evelution would be a place to begin, you can rely on Kane.

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
After a couple of pretty cold nights (-13, -2) with the smart sitting outside, and after a change to Mobil 1 0W40 a couple of days before, thought this would be a good test:

Good test, but the smart failed. Not enough battery power is my guess, so it's on the charger (10 amp) right now. :)
Old timers trick, put a shop lamp, or utility lamp with 100 watt light near the battery area inside. (Not right on top, just near.) Make sure it doesn't burn anything. seats, carpet, dash. The heat from the light, will bring the temp up in the car a little. This use to work for under the hood, on very cold sub zero nights.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Success!

No video, but the car started right up a few minutes ago; temp was only 27 last night, right at 21 now so the sub-zero temps seem to be the key. I've got the indoor cars on battery tenders, but without readily available connections that doesn't seem practical for the smart. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
No video, but the car started right up a few minutes ago; temp was only 27 last night, right at 21 now so the sub-zero temps seem to be the key. I've got the indoor cars on battery tenders, but without readily available connections that doesn't seem practical for the smart. :)
When I mentioned about "plugging it in", I meant plugging in a block heater. In that vid, it sounded like it did actually crank on the first attempt. I think that the block was simply too cold and the cranking was difficult and too slow to fire. If it had a block heater working, it may have cranked fast enough to fire the first time.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
When I mentioned about "plugging it in", I meant plugging in a block heater. In that vid, it sounded like it did actually crank on the first attempt. I think that the block was simply too cold and the cranking was difficult and too slow to fire. If it had a block heater working, it may have cranked fast enough to fire the first time.
Far as I know, there is no actual block heater for the 451; closest I've found is a strip heater that is glued onto the bottom of the oil pan. That probably would have been better than nothing. :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
BLock heaters and the other engine heaters....

Far as I know, there is no actual block heater for the 451; closest I've found is a strip heater that is glued onto the bottom of the oil pan. That probably would have been better than nothing. :)
In this day and age should not be necessary on a new car! The batteries are probably below standards we have here in this country. If I lived someplace that we REALLY cold....like Montana or the Dakotas, I probably would have a block heater just for those few days where it gets down that cold. OR....I would more than likely just have a heated garage...better still.....:D
AS time goes by, I may get one of those Optima batteries...I had one of those in my Taurus for 6 years and it never failed me once and that was left outside all the time.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I have no idea about the Mitsu engine. I own the 450 Mercedes and I think it doesn't.

If you recognize "bull!t" when you hear it,
Donald LaFavor
...Thanks Donald for an honest answer...

...I know for a fact that the ML class MB uses a monopole as a crank sensor to trigger the fuel pump on upon rotation...
...most cars will pressurize the system when first turned on and then off when it reaches operating pressure...with that said, my question in relation to this starting issue is that if the system is not to operating pressure and the key is moved from position 0 to position 2 or crank/start without the system at operating fuel pressure then there's not proper atomization of the fuel by the fuel injectors causing the engine to flood and fail to start after a few seconds of a running engine....

...jetfuel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm, I used to use a cheap one many years ago. All it needs to do is to keep the chill out and maintain it near or above freezing. I wouldn't think of spending hundreds on a battery blanket. I recall the one I had was about 20 bucks. Seemed to do the job.

BTW, I use your avatar on other forums (since 2001). I made one that winks. If you want it, you're welcome to it.

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
I haven't plugged in my cars for 10 years and I have not had one fail to start in over 12 years due to cold weather. I do replace batteries when they start having problems but on a new car, you shouldn't have battery issues. This last stretch of cold has lasted about a week and my old (1999) Expedition sat outside and hasn't been started in over a month. It fired right up at -27f. no heater, and a 4 year old battery.

I'd have the battery looked at under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'd have the battery looked at under warranty.
May do that since I agree with you - one year old battery should be able to keep up. While I had the cover off I checked all the connections - everything's tight so it may be a bad battery, just now showing up. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
question please. i noticed the optima battery was a yellow and red top choice. and various model numbers......do you recall which battery should be purchased? thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yellow top are deep cycle, red top are normal, and about 50 bucks cheaper. I wonder what the exact differences are... from what I understand, deep cycle batteries can handle more full discharges.

I found this PopMech article on the Optima batteries...

Optima And Exide Revolutionize The Car Battery - Popular Mechanics

“SpiralCell batteries deliver high power output that is both faster and longer than conventional batteries, resulting in greater cranking ability and less capacity reduction at high current loads. The sturdy SpiralCell construction minimizes the No. 1 cause of battery failure, plate shedding and positive grid disintegration,” says Hively.

This brings up two questions:

1) does anyone else's lights dim when the fan kicks on or at intervals of a few times a minute? Not much dimming, but my voltage drops from 14 to 13 for about 2 seconds and if I'm stopped at a light I can see the lights dim slightly.

2) If you said "yes" to #1, does/would an Optima provide better current flow for those load spikes?

Plus, a link to BatteryWeb's list of Optimas:

Optima Batteries - Optima Battery Catalog

21 - 38 of 38 Posts