Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart has just taken to Facebook to post the Smart Fan Edition contest, in which the people vote to decide what will make up the new special edition.

In the lead right now is pearl white, but at a close second, is a deep metallic blue that really closely resembles the original 2008-2009 blue!

I would actually seriously consider trading in my car for that blue if it happens. :p

Get voting people - make that blue happen! Tell me that's not a good looking car!

·
17,349 Posts
I've seen the High Gloss Deep Blue before on some Chicago Auto Show cars, it has a purple pearl tint to it. It actually isn't close to the original blue at all. Though, I can say that it does look fantastic either way. Easily my second favourite smart colour. :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the High Gloss Deep Blue before on some Chicago Auto Show cars, it has a purple pearl tint to it. It actually isn't close to the original blue at all. Though, I can say that it does look fantastic either way. Easily my second favourite smart colour. :D
Really?! I can sort of see how the purple hue could work its way in now that you mention it.

I'd like to see that color happen on a special edition. The rest are either blah or meh.

·
17,349 Posts
I'll have to dig up my photos of the colour. It's actually really nice, though not close enough (to me, at least) to the 2008-2010 Metallic Blue.

I love the blue/purple colour shift and how deep the colours are. It's bold, beautifully bold; like a colour you'd see on a restored classic car. If the voters saw this thing in person, white wouldn't even be in the top three.

The only time I've ever seen the colour was when smart was running the auto show circuit in what I think was 2011 or 2012. They never bring concept cars to Chicago, so they always bring specially painted or limited edition cars.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Fiat did the exact same thing in the early 80's with the Spider and the X 1/9 with all these crazy special editions...It was more like let's build cars that may get sold using any and every left over part regardless of the color.

·
17,349 Posts
They should totally do their own "Harlequin" paint scheme like VW did back in the day...

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Like the blue. Loose the black wheels. Looks really close to my old blue. The rest the colors would look better on a 500. That photo is highly retouched. Wonder why smart is wasting effort, on the old car. New models around the corner.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I'm color blind (as some of y'all know). But, with my R/G deficiency, blue is probably the most vivid color ... it is my red, so to speak.

If the photo of the blue car in post one is accurate, I agree that it's not the 2008 Metallic Blue (which I have). Much nicer, actually. I'd go for it. I I'd rather have my Rial le Mans wheels though.

·
17,349 Posts
Here's the colour in real life. Now bear in mind, this was taken in the dim indoor light of the smart display using what I think was an iPhone 4.

Under bright light or outdoors it'll shine like the photos OP posted.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Neon, the picture the OP posted is a drawing. The highlights are so badly drawn. I do like the slightly darker blue color of your photo's. Of course, I'm looking at my blue car, on the drive right now. Looks very similar, in the dim lighting under the tree.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
That bluish purple reminds me of my '02 GTI in pearlescent Indigo. It was a unique color with the exact shade dependent on the lighting.

But, yeah, they're overdoing the not so special editions.

I tried to vote, but was turned away since I am not a Facebook member. :crying:
Same here. Ah well...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blue takes the lead today!

This is about the only reason I'd trade in my blue '08, but heck, if this wins, I'd be calling Smart Latham to order a set of panels, regardless!

·
17,349 Posts
Honestly, I'd do the same. That colour absolutely has to be seen in person. Totally drool-worthy. :)

·
17,349 Posts
Ooooh, a blue cell? I can see some epic colour combinations stemming from that!!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ooooh, a blue cell? I can see some epic colour combinations stemming from that!!!!
That's what I thought. Makes black panels with a blue cell pretty appealing now! I'd be interested to see who gets this car only to do a panel swap to another color.

Then, I'll be there to scoop up the blue panels!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts