Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Ox says that their baseplate can only be used with cars without fog lights. Has anyone installed blue ox with fog lights that could still be used?

Blue Ox says they can't be used.

Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed Base Plate with Fog Lamps

Jambo
See my 2 posts this month under "Flat Tow?? YES!!".
I had not heard of any problem with fog lamps when I purchased the Blue Ox baseplate last March. While installing the thing I did run into a problem with the fog lamps on "smiles". The baseplate as designed and built will not fit because of an interference with the fog lamps. The problem is that the two attachment points that protrude down from the outer-underside of the major weldment (illustrated on page 2 of the BX1983 installation instructions) want to occupy the same space as the fog lamps. Those two attachment points are for attaching the safety cables between the baseplate and the car frame. By removing those attachment points and attaching the safety cables securely to some other locations on the baseplace weldment one can achieve an installation on a vehicle with fog lamps that does not compromise the safety issue.
Fun speed ahead!
Chas Blom
1997 Trek 2430 with smart car

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can just remove the tabs, thats what I did.
I have pictures somewhere will post them later if I can find them

Graeme

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blue Ox has redesigned their baseplate so it can be used on models with or without foglights.

New part # BX1987 fits 2008-09 Smarties.

Go to blueox.com and search using "Mercedes" as the make of car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts