Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a smart that is making the show circuits and we've been helping out where we can, he brought it by with his new wheel set-up! JDM!

Maybe we should call it Stretch Smart-strong? :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
This a smart that is making the show circuits and we've been helping out where we can, he brought it by with his new wheel set-up! JDM!
Wouldn't this be FDM or GDM?

Thought JDM was a label given to cars or car parts that have been imported from Japan? Please pass the rice . . . :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Kids wear their pants around their knees also, doesn't mean it's right either. I come from a generation that believes there is a right way and lots of wrong ways. Stretching the tire like that goes completely against all protocols for proper tire use. All of the engineered safety features and design parameters are ignored. Safety bead, rim protection, load capacity, inflation, handling, ride are all thrown out the window. On top of that it plain looks stupid.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I sure would hate to drive it on a wet and muddy road; nor would I like to be driving behind it on a gravel road. It should be outlawed! It is not street-legal is it? I hope not.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Kids wear their pants around their knees also, doesn't mean it's right either. I come from a generation that believes there is a right way and lots of wrong ways. Stretching the tire like that goes completely against all protocols for proper tire use. All of the engineered safety features and design parameters are ignored. Safety bead, rim protection, load capacity, inflation, handling, ride are all thrown out the window. On top of that it plain looks stupid.

+1!!!

I don't get the "look". JDM or not, it looks ridiculous, and unsafe. I guess to each his own, definitely not my own...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,111 Posts
The smart stands out enough on its own without doing something like that to one. To each his own, but definitely not my cup 'o tea.

Now returning to the infinitely better looking Smart Madness Roadster channel... :)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
In our shop we have a say'n for things like that, " Ya can't fix stupid but ya sure can charge for it" :D

Are the fenders used as suspension stops for the tires???

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
I'm a young guy who loves the JDM / EDM / USDM scene...however I have to say that tire stretching is the dumbest thing you could ever do to any car.

It's incredibly unsafe even in the best conditions and exposes the wheels to the elements. One pothole and those things are finished...

To each of his own, I just wouldn't want to be behind that guy when an emergency maneuver has to take place. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like it... A lot actually. Is it practical? No. But neither is a smart in general. This is definitely not a daily driver and is most definitely a show car that wont be logging many miles but, soon enough I think that all the naysayers will change their tune. I'm not big on the whole stretched look either but, I like and can appreciate the fact that this driver is willing to try something difference (and very extreme) with his smart and invest the time and the $ to get some attention for an otherwise drab and un-respected car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts