Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a strong alternator in your RV that can charge a Smart while on the road moving to a new site?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Potentially yes. There are a lot of variables (how much energy does your RV need) a very very high output alternator could put out 200 amps at normal driving rpms. That equals about 2500 watts. If your RV + efficiency loss is half that (and yes I realise that's a wild assumption) then you could have about 1250watts for the car. If you drove your RV for 8 hours, then that equals about 10kw/h of charge which would be about 40 miles of driving(another assumption). I have made many wild assumptions in this scenario, But I think I'm in the ballpark Maybe someone else could chime in with more RV electrical experience.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Today, RV generators are rarely less than 6000 watts and may be a good bit larger. I’m not referring to the engine alternator but to the aux onboard generator.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It is not very efficient though. The gasoline burned running the generator to charge a Smart for 70 miles range would propel a gas Smart a much longer distance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been looking at Roadtrek's E-Trek for a few years, based on the MB Sprinter platform and has the generator on the motor though the rating in the brochure is a bit confusing. 12v, 3,500w, 2,500w inverter with a bank of batteries and rooftop solar panel. Wonder if that is enough to charge up an EV.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It is not very efficient though. The gasoline burned running the generator to charge a Smart for 70 miles range would propel a gas Smart a much longer distance.
I’m certain that would be true. Slightly more efficient with a diesel generator. I could see this as a possibility if the EV was low on charge as the motor home was departing and the owner wished to have the EV fully charged when they reached their destination for the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts