Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a huge decision to make! I’ve had a Toyota Prius C for 9 years that has 82000 miles on it and is paid off. September 2020 I bought a used 2016 Smart Passion with about 24,000. It now has about 28,000 miles. I have a small loan on it still. I really need to sell one of my cars as the insurance/ maintenance and registration is just too much $$ for keeping both. Everyone is telling me that I’d be crazy to sell the Prius as it’s so much more practical and reliable but I just hate to give up my new (to me) smart. I also have a 4 year comprehensive warranty on my smart. Worried that my Prius battery could die as well which would be very pricey. The Prius gas mileage is better than the smart though. Any advice? Overall do you all find your 453 smart reliable or are all my friends and relatives right about giving up the smart instead of the Prius?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Keep the money you'd spend on the small loan, sell the smart, and keep the c. Any specialized repair work on the smart needs to go a Mercedes dealer (that used to sell/service smart) with the corresponding labor rate. Someone on here has a 453 with a comprehensive Toyota used car warranty and comes on here posting issues with getting warranty work. Would not want another person (you) having the same issues...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep the money you'd spend on the small loan, sell the smart, and keep the c. Any specialized repair work on the smart needs to go a Mercedes dealer (that used to sell/service smart) with the corresponding labor rate. Someone on here has a 453 with a comprehensive Toyota used car warranty and comes on here posting issues with getting warranty work. Would not want another person (you) having the same issues...

Disappointing but thanks for the response. My warranty was sold to me by Mercedes and is “Zurich” if that means anything to anyone on here!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If everyone else are already telling you to keep the Prius c and sell the smart.
Jzchen in the post above is advising you to sell the smart.
I agree with "everyone else" and "Jzchen" Sell the smart. Keep the money you're paying on the loan as a emergency repair fund.
Right now you should be able to sell your smart for more than you bought it for. $$$
I also understand being tired of a 9 year old car vs a newer car.
Good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If everyone else are already telling you to keep the Prius c and sell the smart.
Jzchen in the post above is advising you to sell the smart.
I agree with "everyone else" and "Jzchen" Sell the smart. Keep the money you're paying on the loan as a emergency repair fund.
Right now you should be able to sell your smart for more than you bought it for. $$$
I also understand a 9 year old car vs a newer car.
Good luck
Wow! Somehow I thought smart owners would encourage me to keep the smart…or maybe that’s just what I wanted to hear! One final consideration…the Prius C has been in several accidents ( only one was my fault in which I rear ended someone) with some considerable damage to the body each time. Once a truck hit me 3 times from behind because he said he couldn’t see me!(my Prius is orange???!) Also the actuator on my driver’s door is broken which is a $600 repair job. The smart has no accident history. I can get $5700 for the Prius right now ( which applied to the smart would leave me just under $3000 on the smart loan) or $9800 on the smart (which would pay off my smart loan plus an extra $1000 to pocket)…remember 82000 miles Prius vs 27000 smart. Still best decision to sell Prius? Thanks

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm going to side with the one you don't owe any money on. If you owned the smart and making payments on the c, I would consider that also. The fact that the c has more seats is an immediate + personally for me as I have a wife and a son. There is access to the service information, last time I checked it was $60/24 hrs for the smart. It's $20/2 days for Toyota. I have experience with both.

IF you came here in the first place and your question was I have no interest in keeping two cars and money is no object, well, I'd say choose the smart as you seem to desire asking here on the smart forum. Not quite your question the insurance is too much then money is a concern. Even if you do service yourself just accessing service information is 6x times the price, $120/2 days.

I also have experience with both brands regarding warranty work. It's easier to get things repaired under warranty with Toyota than Mercedes/Smart. Just my experience....

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I also have experience with accidents in both our Prius v and the smart. The Prius v survived $14k in damage and the insurance paid to repair it, my mom backed into her office building, offset as 1/2 the bumper went into a doorway (no airbag deployment). My C451 was totaled on a somewhat minor fender bender. (No airbag deployment)...

EDIT-. So if you sell the smart, you'll have $1k pocket money. $0 debt vs $3k. What if you consider that $3k debt as pocket money for the c? You'll have $4k to maintain/repair it. Even if you need a new battery I'd suggest www.projectlithium.com or GreenBean. Oh wait, you're still a long way from needing a new battery. So $1k - $600 = $400 pocket money and no debt is the bottom line. I like the sound of that....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for your input! You’ve all been very helpful even if it initially wasn’t what I wanted to hear! Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'll pile on here and agree that I would go with the Prius. I like the Smart and am happy with mine, but with dealsership support evaporating and the general difficulties of finding service/parts for a niche car, I don't think I would encourage buying one unless it was for a fun 2nd car.

Even if the Prius became a non-contender, I'd still recommend going with something else for all the same reasons. Not a knock against the car itself, but a daily driver without easy access to service and parts is a recipie for disaster.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
For FUN FACTOR - smart, 453 may be dependable and the extended warranty may help subject to M-B support availability in your area?

Note, appears that the Zurich warranty may be transferable or “refundable” on a pro-rata basis if no claims have been made, read the fine print?

For RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION - Prius, if you are satisfied with the accident repairs? Lots of YELLOW Toyota Prius in taxi fleets.

Disclaimer - I own both and view them as transportation “apples to oranges.”

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
If you strapped for cash, can’t afford both. Can’t get enough change, from the Prius. To pay off the smart car. Just sell the smart car. Other wise, sell the high mileage Prius, continue to make payments on the Smart car. If you need a larger vehicle to haul something in. Rent a truck.

Parts for the smart car, will be available, for the next 10 years. There are lots of independent repair shops, that can work on a smart car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I do have an A+ BBB rated Mercedes Benz in my city that I took it to last year for an oil change. I think I’ll talk to them as well about part availability but will probably stick with the Prius as sad as it’ll make me to sell the Smart!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Orphan cars and the 10 year parts myth

Every automotive enthusiast has an opinion when it comes to car buying and many are quick to point to an orphan car for a good deal. While some orphan cars are a bargain for their genre, maintaining some of them can be an exercise in futility. Internet commenters and forum aficionados are quick to defend their recommendations and point to some parts law that supposedly forces manufacturers to provide parts for 10 or 20 years after they kill a model, but no such law exists. Please anyone feel free to post the actual LAW. Maybe I'm wrong I wish someone wod post the actual statute.
While there are laws like the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that provide some protection in certain situations, it’s nowhere near the 10-year mark.

According to the FTC, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides rules on warranties for all consumer products, and in the automotive world it forces automakers that provide warranties to produce parts for the term of the vehicle warranty. In some cases this can be as short as 3 years after the sale of the last model. Once that term is up, they do not have any further obligations to the consumer. The entity providing the warranty can also choose to stop manufacturing parts before the warranty expires, but in that case they may be liable to replace the product or provide a refund.

The other piece of the warranty puzzle is emissions coverage that is mandated by the EPA that provides for 2 years of coverage for any emissions performance issues and 8 years of coverage for any defect related to the emissions system. While this coverage is notably longer than the usual powertrain warranty, it does not necessitate that the manufacturer must provide parts or service. It only states that they must cover the cost of any required repair

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Mercedes provides parts for their cars that are from new to 50+ years old. Will the same apply to the Smart? Sure would be nice to have that answer.

Len

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Mercedes provides parts for their cars that are from new to 50+ years old. Will the same apply to the Smart? Sure would be nice to have that answer.

Len
interesting thought. I really doubt smart will carry parts for 50 years. .All Modern vehicles rely on software. Even if you were to obtain parts, you still need the software to run it. Where to get the service, to perform it. Eventually smart car, will just become obsolete. Enjoy them while you can.

·
Super Moderator
8,096 Posts
Parts for the smart car, will be available, for the next 10 years.
Fact or URBAN LEGEND?

Back in the day, it seemed that the 10 year parts availability practice was just a thing that manufacturers tended to do. Had NOTHING to do with any law, then or now???

Generally speaking, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which became law in early 1975 makes NO mandate but rather suggests that replacement parts be available to fulfill warranty work.

“if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to remedy defects to malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund for, or replacement without charge of, such product or part.”
Today such warranties are typically, Emissions which can vary by State and drivetrain warranties of 3 - 5 years. Simply stated, the carmaker must provide parts required for warranty repair.

Obviously, parts and more importantly replacement parts are not made by the carmakers but rather “suppliers” under contract to the automakers. Such contracts may contain an “industry expectation of availability“ but in the case of our ORPHAN smart fortwo those contracts are with European suppliers and mean nothing to owners in the U.S.

Regardless, it appears that NOTHING requires a carmaker provide a supply of any or all parts to build/repair a car for any amount of time following production & sale.

NOTE, if there was a 10 year rule, MY17 was 5 years ago leaving us with 5 years remaining or not???

·
Super Moderator
8,096 Posts
While smart may be a Daimler, it will never be considered a M-B. That’s borne out by the need for Roger Penske to facilitate the U.S. launch & introduction, a separate Franchise Agreement and stand alone smart Center showroom for smart.

smart fortwo parts availability has been random since 2008, I don’t expect it to get any better as most of the M-B parts houses in the U.S. have deleted the smart tab or are already showing gaping holes?

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
335 Posts
... most of the M-B parts houses in the U.S. have deleted the smart tab or are already showing gaping holes?
I have even ordered parts online from local Mercedes website, only to get a phone call stating, "we cannot ship smart parts as we are no longer smart authorized"....

Well why then does your website still exist and allow me to place the order? I guess they hadn't deleted that tab yet.

Jim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts