Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 is triple beeping in the middle of the night, the same sound it makes when I press the lock button on the key fob on its own. I can press the lock button on the key fob & it stops beeping for an hour then starts again. its not the alarm.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,084 Posts
When you hit your lock button on your remote the Smart should respond with 3 flashes of the lights and maybe with 3 beeps or 3 toots of the horn. If your battery in your key FOB is weak the Smart will respond with 9 flashes to tell you that you have less than 100 more presses before the key FOB battery is completely dead. Could it be that the button is getting worn out on the key FOB and it is randomly trying to lock or unlock the car, thus the 3 beeps in the middle of the night? I think I would remove the battery from the FOB to see of the random beeps stop. If so it couuld be a faulty FOB. DCO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does reply with 3 flashes & 3 beeps. It has never sounded with 9 beeps. The battery in the key fob is less than 1 year old.
I just discovered that it is sounding the 3 beeps when the car is not locked.
I also just discovered that the online owners manual has a diagram of the fuses, but only gives a description of the first 20...there are 35 fuses total, according to the diagram in the online owners manual.
I was going to check to see if it could be a fuse but need to know which to look at.
Anyone out there know which fuse is for the system that does the beeping?
Does anyone out there know who made the system that makes the beeps? I was told it was not an original feature on Smart Cars until they were sold in the US and that is was added to US cars by a 3rd party. Anyone have any information on who this third party is so I can ask them about the 3 beeps?

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Can't answer most of your questions but the 451 cars are all Mercedes, no third party content added later. You may have been given info from the G&K import days....:shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
beeping

Thanks, John,
Hi! The smart having issues is my former smart that I sold to my brother. I sent him the fuse diagram/SAM and we can't seem to find a solution... A real mystery. :shrug:

The smart is now 10 years old (YEAHH!).

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Don't think it's a SAM issue, but the car is trying to report some problem. Could be minor, or not. These cars could use a reset button....:)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,084 Posts
My SAM beeps when I leave the key on the ignition and open the door. It also beeps when I open the door and have left the parking or headlights on, but it is a very quiet beep that you can hardly hear, not like the loud annoying buzzer on my Dodge pickup. Perhaps hook up a code scanner to the odbII port and run the codes to see of there is an error code that might give you an inkling to the problem. If it is the SAM beeping I'm surprised you could hear it outside the car. I thought you meant it was beeping the horn and or flashing the lights also. After you shut off the car and remove the key, then shut the door you will notice that the yellow display in the speedometer cluster stays illuminated for maybe 30 seconds or so, then you hear a slight click of a relay inside the SAM and the display goes out. AT that point the SAM is in sleep mode. At that point it only draws about 30 milliamps from your battery. That is to power the circuit that listens continuously for that signal from your key fob to lock or inlock the doors. Also if your Smart has the factory alarm it is powered up at that point and draws a few milliamps also. Got rather heavily onto the battery draw issue about a year ago and had to do alot of digging to sort out just what the SAM does when the car is sitting. DCO

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,038 Posts
Two thing to try...

Disconnect the battery to 10 minutes, reset the SAM...

Wrap the keys in aluminum foil, see if the problem goes away...

If so, unwrap one key at a time, see if the problem reoccurs.

I bet a key has gotten dirty or has a cracked board, and is randomly unlocking the car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts