Smart Car of America Forum banner

Smart forfour 453 noise at idle (only at night)

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vadsoom 
#1 ·
Hello and nice to meet you !

I have bought a used 453 forfour and I realized that every day at late afternoon... when the lights change at idle I feel a noise (tick tick) and a tremble too...

When I switch on or off the light the noise seems to change a little bit (Stops and starts again..)

Very strange.. any idea what it can be ? . (battery ? engine mount? something else? )

#2 ·
Hello and nice to meet you !

I have bought a used 453 forfour and I realized that every day at late afternoon... when the lights change at idle I feel a noise (tick tick) and a tremble too...

When I switch on or off the light the noise seems to change a little bit (Stops and starts again..)

Very strange.. any idea what it can be ? . (battery ? engine mount? something else? )
could be your car has a low voltage .

#4 ·
Sounds like something being turned on is loading down the alternator. Something isn’t right. If there were a high-resistance “short circuit” to ground, I would imagine if it’s large enough to load down the alternator, it would be large enough to pop a properly-sized fuse.

I suppose if there were enough added load on multiple circuits, there could be enough of a load to bog down the alternator.

Did you change any lights lately? Did you switch to LED and install resistors that prevent hyper flash (turn signals that are too fast)? If so, you should check them very carefully for proper sizing.

#5 ·
When I go to workshop at the morning the noise is being disappearing...

Yesterday I was driving and the morning too in the city for 30-40mins and after a while the noise and tremble was being appearing .. very strange
I will check another battery.. seems that when the engine is warm then the noise and tremble is started!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.