Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,826 Posts
I like those finned brake drums on the rear of the forfour. They would look good on the fortwo if they are interchangeable and they should be.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Looking at the multiple spy photos and videos (and now this latest video), I'm 100% certain the fortwo will retain the plastic body panels and the distinctive Tridion Ce
ll as we know it to be.

On the other hand, looks like the forfour is going for a more conventional body. The safety structure might be more conventional with the visible "Tridion Cell" being just a styling element. That's kinda sad...but I guess I could see the reasoning behind it.
And yet ... There will be a desire to have a family resemblance between the new forfour and the new fortwo (regardless of whether the door skins are steel or plastic).

My money is on the "tridion" including the whole rear fender and the roof rails, i.e. the unibody, being painted one colour and the doors another colour (or optionally - painted all one colour!), on both versions. Won't have the 451's plastic covers on the rocker panels (under the "tridion"), won't have the 451's ginormous rear bumper cover that extends around the wheel arches - it'll be a conventional bumper cover aft of the wheel arches. How they handle the colour transitions - which parts are body colour and which parts are "tridion" - remains to be seen!

There is a fair chance that taillight assemblies, headlight assemblies, possibly some body panels such as front end components and bumper covers etc will be shared between the two ... partly to cut costs, partly in the interest of maintaining family resemblance ...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts