Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
looks like a snub-nosed mini clubman, "not at all attractive to my way of thinking", says Mary Poppins.

I like the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
The first smart I'd have to call ugly :(

Geez, it looks like smart USA's marketing team was hired to design a car!

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
Well, I mean if they refined the design (maybe made the tridion bigger going up the side and giving it some more definitive curves) then it could look purty sexy.

But whoever approved of this design to make it to scale model stage must've been taking some strong stuff!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
Another article, slightly different picture. You can see a cordless drill in the photo to give you a sense of scale.

Smart Four-Seater Prototype Scale Model Scooped at R&D Facility - Carscoop

And while I'm thinking about it, why do they say this is a clay model? I thought they were typically solid. This picture shows transparent windows and interior seats, etc. Not something I would associate with a clay model.

Since it's a spy photo it could be an old formore design that's been laying around or something planted to throw off anyone trying to get a spyshot (I kinda hope so).

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
This little model takes all the cuteness away from the smart and it has a slight mini look to it.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Holy cow, that model looks huge in comparison to the electric drill (but small in comparison to the fan in the background).

Actually, depending on how far they want to go, the clay model can be painted, have glass windows installed, real tires, whatever, but it's made out of clay. Like I said before, I think the model is pretty far in the process of seeing what it really would be considering they did this much to a clay model.

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
It is NOT a formore model. The formore never made it past concept car stage. They drew it up, photoshopped it, and made 1 working concept, 1 production model, and 20 some test mules...

Only the working concept and the production model remain...locked in MB's massive warehouse...

Yeah, the smart DNA seems taken out of the little bugger. Too big and looks like a MINI.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
It is NOT a formore model. The formore never made it past concept car stage. They drew it up, photoshopped it, and made 1 working concept, 1 production model, and 20 some test mules...

Only the working concept and the production model remain...locked in MB's massive warehouse...

Yeah, the smart DNA seems taken out of the little bugger. Too big and looks like a MINI.
Smart is still in it. I think the grey clay is throwing you all off. And just because formore didn't hit production doesn't mean it can't be redesigned and revisited.

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
They made two (1 production, 1 show car) plus several test mules.
All the mules were crushed after smart mothballed it.

The two models: (click for slideshow) (You can see the "production" version to the right)

The mules:

The mules after it was mothballed:

Only two left in the world...Oh the things I'd do to secure them in my garage...:D

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
Yeppers. I forgot the total amount of them made (in the 20s I believe) but all but two were destroyed.

The formore was smart's solution for the American market, it was supposed to be here in 2006. But with the flops that were the roadster and forfour they just couldn't afford it.

The chassis they were built on was a MB, but they were considerably smaller and "smarter" than the MBs...They actually had a real tridion cell too...

I really want to see the tridion cell tech applied to a SUV :)

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
Yeah, the reflections are too unrealistic...Looks like the reflections used in a GTA game...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts