Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..this has become a massive issue. We bought a used smart fortwo 2005, We are now finding out that NO ONE can seem to get parts for it. I was eventually told the car was imported from Canada and US cannot order parts, they are supposedly different parts. I was told to call Mercedes in Canada and see if they can order the part. I called Mercedes and they told me the car is not Canadian, that it was in fact a German imported car.

What a headache.

VIN#
WME4503321J253655

2D Smart ForTwo Passion

Can anyone help me to figure this out? i attached a image of what I think needs to be replaced, I pulled the door panel off and this plastic piece is broken, the regulator motor does work. I found a shop to do the work they want o charge me 3 hours labor @ $149/hr but they say they cannot order the part because the VIN# is not USA. They said if I can find the part they will put it in. It is for the driver side window.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

-Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also...how do i figure out if this car takes diesel? The tank is full and haven't had to put gas in yet but from what little I can find on the internet it seems like it might be a diesel car. so weird.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven't dealt with this with a Smart, but I have with other cars and equipment.....there comes a time when it's easier to fabricate replacement parts than it is to find originals, you might be there with this. If it were my car, I would consider modeling the part and seeing if a 3D printed part would hold up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it seems the part is easily available, just not in the US, I just need a way to verify if the part is correct, its only about $15 for the part.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For the 2005 and 2006 450s, I find parts on 'ebay.uk'. (at least it's in english and not german lol)
Often times you'll run across someone 'breaking' (dismantling) a car and you kindly ask if they will ship overseas.
Just remember that the UK is RHD so describe the part as 'left side, sitting in the car', and not 'driver side'.

My driver door handle (LHD car) was stuck; turned out to be a broken plastic part in the door mechanism where the cable attaches. So I found a breaker in the UK and got the part from the barely used 'passenger door (RHD car)'.
The part was $25 and the shipping was $25, but at least I was able to get one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the 2005 and 2006 450s, I find parts on 'ebay.uk'. (at least it's in english and not german lol)
Often times you'll run across someone 'breaking' (dismantling) a car and you kindly ask if they will ship overseas.
Just remember that the UK is RHD so describe the part as 'left side, sitting in the car', and not 'driver side'.

My driver door handle (LHD car) was stuck; turned out to be a broken plastic part in the door mechanism where the cable attaches. So I found a breaker in the UK and got the part from the barely used 'passenger door (RHD car)'.
The part was $25 and the shipping was $25, but at least I was able to get one.
Thanks I appreciate it! I did purchase the part from Ebay and its on the way. I hope it is correct. I feel like I want to buy a bunch of smart car parts in bulk then open a US shop so people have easy access lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts