Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yesterday I tried to switch my car on... All lights appear when I try to start it however the engine does not power. I have just got it towed to my house. When I looked in the back there are exposed wires. Would anyone know the issue?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,554 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

When was the last time the engine started normally and would anyone have been working in the engine compartment since then? It's possible those wires are frayed but...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine started on Saturday I drove around 30km and I was unable to start the engine on Sunday morning... Do you think its just a matter of replacing and rewiring?

FYI I have minimal knowledge of cars! Lol

·
Super Moderator
28,554 Posts
The engine started on Saturday I drove around 30km and I was unable to start the engine on Sunday morning... Do you think its just a matter of replacing and rewiring?

FYI I have minimal knowledge of cars! Lol
Hard to tell, but reconnecting the wires would be a good start. If the engine starts, it's all good. If not, then more troubleshooting is in order. If you have a good local mechanic they should be able to do the wire repair. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,554 Posts
On closer inspection of the photo that wire bundle looks like it goes to the plug on the alternator - not sure why that would keep the engine from starting since the 12v battery turns the starter. :unsure:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jw, true, but... does the starter turn and the engine not crank... the OP was not clear on that.
G, very possible...
A, is the car left out overnight... are there critters nearby?
All good points here... I would first try to reconnect the wires, if that works... great.

·
Super Moderator
28,554 Posts
Good point. I'm not sure if the SAM or the ECU needs to see alternator output before starting the engine or not. The only way it could see that is if the engine was being turned by the starter. Couldn't find anything relevant on Alldatadiy.com.... :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just connect the wires back together. you can just use test leads with alligator clips to connect wires and make sure they do not short to metal and try starting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts