Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago one of my keys stopped working so I just started using the spare key. I guess the battery in the second key fob slowly started dying too. So I replaced both key fob batteries at the same time and now neither of them are working at all. I have to manually unlock the car to get in. Aside from that, trying to start the car is another problem. Nothing happens. No lights turn on or anything. It’s like it’s dead! I will say I haven’t driven this car for almost a month now since I got my other vehicle. What should I do? I called a lock smith to come reprogram the key but they refuse to come until I get the battery on my vehicle checked. Which I can’t do unless I’m able to drive it somewhere. Should I replace the car battery completely or try to jumpstart it? I’m so lost.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you are a AAA member, they will come to your vehicles location and check the battery as well as jump start and even replace your battery.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Try the relearn trick…

Out the key in the ignition and turn to position 1, then press the unlock button with the key still turned. If it works, you should hear the security system beep.

Worth a try…

·
Super Moderator
17,720 Posts
Sometimes the fobs "forget" about the car if they've had a dead or dying battery for long enough. First, replace or charge the car's battery, then do what vadsoom recommended. I've had to revive a couple of keys like that recently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So a few months ago one of my keys stopped working so I just started using the spare key. I guess the battery in the second key fob slowly started dying too. So I replaced both key fob batteries at the same time and now neither of them are working at all. I have to manually unlock the car to get in. Aside from that, trying to start the car is another problem. Nothing happens. No lights turn on or anything. It’s like it’s dead! I will say I haven’t driven this car for almost a month now since I got my other vehicle. What should I do? I called a lock smith to come reprogram the key but they refuse to come until I get the battery on my vehicle checked. Which I can’t do unless I’m able to drive it somewhere. Should I replace the car battery completely or try to jumpstart it? I’m so lost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem when my keyfob battery died. From a Google search I read to put the key on the fob into the door lock, turn it to unlock the door, hold it for ten seconds or so. It should reset the computer to recognize the fob and all should be well...at least it was for me. Hope this works for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts