Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I was attempting to wire in a rain sensor on 451. Long story short. Anytime I connected the rain sensor to the SAM unit where it should be, my dash pods died.

I played with the cables around (I was swapping them). Eventually, I tried to connect earth cable to LIN B in SAM unit etc.

As the consequence, my car went crazy. Started to honk, the wipers went on without me even switching them on. SAM makes constant clicking sound. A/C blows air in interrupted intervals. Dome light flashes. Car won't start, speedo is dead. Front fan cooler runs on full speed.

Radio works, headlight as well.

I disconnected the battery, but when connected back, car goes crazy again.

Any idea what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Your last post in the other thread says you solved the problem....? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Partially, the car works, starts and drive. But my radiator fan won't switch off when the car is stationary and locked. It just runs non-stop... It only stops when I pull out the fuse or disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there. I still did not solve the problem with permanently switched on radiator fan.

I found out that the relay for coolant / radiator fan in 451 is the same as for horn. Horn works on my car perfectly well. It should not be a faulty relay.

I also checked the A/C radiator fan sensor. It seems to be working fine... The engine temperature gauge on my speedo also shows correct values. Both sensors must work correctly then...

Disconnecting the battery and resetting the SAM unit also does not help.

I have read here that somebody had similar problem, left the car for 4 days on and the problem solved itself. But the SAM unit gets really hot. I'm worried to leave it on to not start a fire.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Have you hooked up a code reader? Sounds like a issue with software. Something you’ve done, has corrupted it. Might want to have your smart dealership check your car out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m scheduled for a Xentry diagnostic. But haven’t done it yet.

Here is the photo of the insides of my SAM unit.
I was worried about a short circuit. Has this marked area went bad, because of its brown colour?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts