Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
17,370 Posts
After 10 years, if it hasn’t burst into flames. Your probably fine.
The recall states that this issue occurs over time. It also impacts every 2008 and 2009 fortwo sold.

If anything, being ten years old is a bad thing as it seems the fire rate increases as the vehicles age.

It looks like MB hasn't figured things out on their end. That's why you haven't received any recall notification and why you can't even take it to the dealer to get it fixed yet.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Between 08-09. MB/smart, got 39,217 vehicles to recall. A lot of the original smart dealerships, are long gone. Who knows how many of those vehicles, have changed hands, in the last 10 years. Salvaged ones too.

·
17,370 Posts
Between 08-09. MB/smart, got 39,217 vehicles to recall. A lot of the original smart dealerships, are long gone. Who knows how many of those vehicles, have changed hands, in the last 10 years. Salvaged ones too.
Oh yeah, it's going to be a nightmare. I bet once all is said and done, there will be unrepaired smarts for years into the future.

Apparently they have just under 43k 2008-2009s to recall. I'm not sure where the other 4k are coming from as goodcarbadcar says they only sold 39k of them. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
The SCoA Delivery thread shows 39,217 cars sold in 2008 -2009, but some 2009 cars could have been sold in early 2010 so only smart USA know the correct numbers, assuming they have all the Penske sales data. :)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
The fact is, not too many 08-09 smart cars, will end up as trade in, on a MB, used ca lots. Very few smart dealers out there. That age of those vehicles, will most likely be whole sale off, to mom and pop used car lots. Across the country. The rest individuals sale, without the knowledge of any recall. Buyer, beware. Since MB, hasn’t sent out any service bulletin. To original owners.

Honda always sends recall notices to the original owners, Asking if you still own the vehicle. Honda doesn’t wait 10 years, for recalls. In this case it’s a age defect.

Factor in Canadian smart sales, and Mexico.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,394 Posts
The insulation mat they are referring to is in front of the motor on the outside of the floor, next to the motor. If you look in the engine compartment way up in the front, past the alternator, you could see where it hangs down.
I thought they were referring to the insulation mat under the engine access cover. I have seen several of those in older smarts that were deteriorated and hanging down in pieces.

The mat you are referring to in my car came loose at the very top edge a couple of years ago and I re-glued it and have had no trouble since. The mat under the engine access cover still looks like new in my car.

I do not know if I trust my old dealer to replace the front mat or not. I would like to just bring a new one home and put it on the shelf for future repair if and when needed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This issue - the insulation at the front of the engine compartment loosening and dropping down into the belts and engine - was discussed in this forum years ago. Maybe the moderators can look it up.

Both of my cars have the fix identified - strip of perforated metal from Home Depot - to hold up the edge right in front of the access hatch.

-Barry-

·
Registered
6 Posts
After 10 years, if it hasn’t burst into flames. Your probably fine.
Yeah, tell that to my sister, who, as I posted elsewhere, had her 2008 forTwo burst into flames over this past weekend.

Now that I know what to look for, I will be checking out my wife's forTwo.

alan

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Yeah, tell that to my sister, who, as I posted elsewhere, had her 2008 forTwo burst into flames over this past weekend.

Now that I know what to look for, I will be checking out my wife's forTwo.

IMO, everyone should have the authorized fix done by a smart center, if at all possible. Any self-attempted repair could arguably put the liability* on you. And with the possibility of disastrous consequences, I’d drive a very long way to get this repair signed off by smart/MBUSA.

*I‘m not a lawyer, so this is just a speculative opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO, everyone should have the authorized fix done by a smart center, if at all possible. Any self-attempted repair could arguably put the liability* on you. And with the possibility of disastrous consequences, I’d drive a very long way to get this repair signed off by smart/MBUSA.

*I‘m not a lawyer, so this is just a speculative opinion.
From what I read about the recall, it does not start until July. Knowing someone whose car burned down, I am not inclined to wait until then to make sure that my (wife's) car will be OK until the recall starts.

alan

·
17,370 Posts
This issue - the insulation at the front of the engine compartment loosening and dropping down into the belts and engine - was discussed in this forum years ago. Maybe the moderators can look it up.
I can confirm. I do remember a number of threads discussing such.

Now, I do need to stress that rear end fires are only 1 type of known smart fire. You could replace that insulation with diamond plating and your car can still catch fire.

The other common source is under the dash, most likely originating from the SAM. My educated guess is that the solders on the SAM aren't the best...and as the solders fall apart, they generate more and more heat until the SAM lights.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Apparently my 2009 is included in this recall. I entered my VIN and and got the following info about this recall.

I think people are too quickly jumping to the conclusion that this involves the insulation in front of the engine bay... as that is not how I read the recall:

"the rear insulation mat within the engine compartment might deform, deteriorate, loosen and over time, subsequently be able to contact hot components of the exhaust system"

I will say that having just been in that area to remove/repair/replace my exhaust, I find my insulation appears to be in good condition and not in contact with the exhaust system or its heat shield.

~toaster

---

See attached recall info from NHTSA below:

Apr 27,2018
Manufacturer Recall Number 2018050004
NHTSA Recall Number 18V273
Recall Status Recall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary

Daimler AG, the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on Model Year 2008-2009 US-specification smart fortwo vehicles (451 platform), the rear insulation mat within the engine compartment might deform, deteriorate, loosen and over time, subsequently be able to contact hot components of the exhaust system. This could lead to an ignition of the insulation mat and possible fire in the engine compartment. As a precaution, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will replace the rear insulation mat on the affected vehicles.

Safety Risk

This could lead to an ignition of the insulation mat and possible fire in the engine compartment.

Remedy
As a precaution, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will replace the rear insulation mat on the affected vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just checked my wife's car. In my wife's car, the rearward edge of the insulation is sagging a bit. If it were sagging about an inch more, it would be making contact with some part of the engine/gearbox/exhaust, but I can't see what.

In the diagram - https://www.mercedesbenzsmartparts.com/images/parts/motor/fullsize/9010555.jpg , it is on the underside, to the rear of the opening, in the part labelled 1. (I can't find the insulation listed as a separate part.) If you open the engine cover and then reach in and feel along the inside towards the rear of the car, you will feel the insulation in question. It feels like a padded cloth. If you feel along it towards the rear as it arcs downward, you will reach its opposite edge. Feel from side to side for the entire width of the engine cover opening for any of it drooping enough to contact whatever is below it. Note that if the engine bay is as dirty as it is in my wife's car, your hands will get dirty.

alan

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just checked my wife's car. In my wife's car, the rearward edge of the insulation is sagging a bit. If it were sagging about an inch more, it would be making contact with some part of the engine/gearbox/exhaust, but I can't see what.

In the diagram - https://www.mercedesbenzsmartparts.com/images/parts/motor/fullsize/9010555.jpg , it is on the underside, to the rear of the opening, in the part labelled 1. (I can't find the insulation listed as a separate part.) If you open the engine cover and then reach in and feel along the inside towards the rear of the car, you will feel the insulation in question. It feels like a padded cloth. If you feel along it towards the rear as it arcs downward, you will reach its opposite edge. Feel from side to side for the entire width of the engine cover opening for any of it drooping enough to contact whatever is below it. Note that if the engine bay is as dirty as it is in my wife's car, your hands will get dirty.

alan

Sounds like you found the right item. You might try using a mirror to get a better look at it. In my case I've replaced the stock airbox plenum with a silicone hose, so I can get my head in there and see mine quite easily.

~toaster

·
17,370 Posts
It's important to note that every 2008 and 2009 fortwo ever sold in the US is included in the recall. If you own a 2008 or a 2009, you should get this insulation replaced in July, even if you've already done a DIY fix.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I called the dealer where my car was purchased and asked about this recall. They were unaware, but confirmed it’s the real deal, but there is no availability of the necessary parts. They said they would call me when they are received.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Seems to me that this type of issue might be one of those where Mercedes is obligated to provide those with affected smarts with transportation until their car can be fixed.

·
17,370 Posts
The recall doesn't officially start until July, so I'm not surprised that dealers haven't even been informed nor know what the fix actually is just yet.

I don't expect this recall to be handled any differently than the Takata recall. MB and/or the NHTSA will come out and say "don't drive your car until you can get it fixed" like basically every other safety recall goes.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts