Smart Car of America Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,178 Posts
That's the very reason I am so reluctant about taking my car into the Jacksonville dealer. They tend to damage as much as they repair.

·
3,178 Posts
If he broke the arm rest probably just moving the car, what kind of damage did he do in the rear of the car where he actually did work? :(

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
They broke it - they should fix it. What am I missing?

Len
He ripped the Top piece right off breaking the Bottom piece all to hell (top piece is Good)... He said he tipped it up but then slipped and levered it right back until he ripped the top out of the bottom piece...!!!...???

The FIX is the dealer is going to replace it with a "Smart Car OEM Armrest when the parts come in...(I liked our old one better)...
No charge for the FIX...BUT... Over one hour drive back to get it fixed, and over one hour drive (50 miles) back home (NO COMPENSATION FOR TIME AND GAS) ....hmmmmmmmm...<:-((

They Fixed The FIRE PROBLEM for Me... Why Don't I Feel Like I'm WINNING...

·
3,178 Posts
I feel bad that you had the problem. Makes me wonder how bad the former Jacksonville dealer has gotten. I am the only clumsy repairman I allow to faff around with my smart.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Brabus007, your life and safety are worth more than the armrest. That said, I hope they offer to compensate you with money to replace it. (Also hoping it’s still for sale by the manufacturer).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had just about purchased a used Fortwo. Signed most of the papers, put in for the financing, scheduled the rest of the paperwork and the pick up for tomorrow. But then they saw this and have to take care of the recall before they can give me the car. The good news is that they dealer I'm buying from is handling taking it to the nearest Mercedes dealer that can repair the issue, especially since that's over an hour away from here and only has service hours while I'm usually working. The bad news is that it's going to be almost three weeks before I can get the car. I was already spending hours a day watching videos and reading posts about the car before I decided to get it, I got myself all hyped up and now gotta wait a little bit longer.

Three weeks seems excessive??? I took my 2008 yesterday and it was done in less than a few hours including full detail from walters mercedes riverside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, it seems excessive, but I don't think I can get it changed. They said that's the earliest that they could schedule the appointment to have the work done. Since the used car dealer is handling taking the car out there and back it may be the earliest appointment available that the used car dealer also had the ability to take the car out there. We never had a Smart dealer in our city, so they gotta take it out to a neighboring city's Mercedes dealership that used to be a Smart dealer. So as of right now we have a pick up date of August 29th. I am counting the days.

Completely different situation, but the last time my Jeep had a recall it took 8 weeks to get an appointment with the dealer to take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
It is possible that they are getting paid quite a bit less for doing the recall work than they make on a standard repair labor. As such,many dealerships limit the amount of recall labor they will do per day (or week) if they have plenty of paid labor to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a note, i had mine taken care of by the local M-B dealer and they replaced the insulation i believe that's above the catalytic converter, mine was drooping pretty badly.

The insulation towards the front of the engine bay was also tattered, the dealer advised that it wasn't part of the recall but that they were going to replace it as well free of charge. First time servicing my Smart at the dealer (bought used) and I really cannot complain.

·
Registered
179 Posts
He ripped the Top piece right off breaking the Bottom piece all to hell (top piece is Good)... He said he tipped it up but then slipped and levered it right back until he ripped the top out of the bottom piece...!!!...???

The FIX is the dealer is going to replace it with a "Smart Car OEM Armrest when the parts come in...(I liked our old one better)...
No charge for the FIX...BUT... Over one hour drive back to get it fixed, and over one hour drive (50 miles) back home (NO COMPENSATION FOR TIME AND GAS) ....hmmmmmmmm...<:-((

They Fixed The FIRE PROBLEM for Me... Why Don't I Feel Like I'm WINNING...
Brabus007, maybe the best solution to the broken armrest would be to get the dealer to ship you the armrest and install it yourself?

Right now I am removing all my "stuff" out of the car, so nothing can get in the way or misplaced. It goes in day after tomorrow. Even though the Penske owned MB dealership opted out to selling any new smarts, they supposedly still have certified smart mechanics there for servicing the car. To be fair, I had a good experience last time I was there for a front end alignment.

I hope to post good news to this forum on Thursday....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Recall completed

I dropped the car off the night before the M-B dealership closed Tuesday. Car was finished and ready for pickup before noon Wednesday. No issues to report. New insulation installed on exhaust pipe (i.e. rear) side of engine compartment, and wrapped about the 2 short left and right sides . Insulation on cabin (i.e. front) side, however, was not replaced. I ended up taping the parts hanging down there with gorilla tape above alternator and air filter box. Will see how long gorilla tape lasts in engine heat. Service was quick and they also washed the car and glossed the tires shiny.

Part of the bill presented was this:
J# 1 89SCZ18060010 ENGINE COMPARTMENT HOURS: 1.30 TECH(S): 70081
CHECK FOR OPEN CAMPAIGN 2018 06 001 REPLACE DAMPING
IN REAR ENGINE COMPARTMENT AS PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS
LOP 02-2326 (451.331 1.3) (451.431 1.6) D/C 62 901 48 7
UPDATED PART
REPLACE DAMPING IN REAR ENGINE COMPARTMENT AS PER
CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS.
PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER----------DESCRIPTION----------LIST PRICE - UNIT PRICE-
JOB#1 8 000-994-21-18 WASHER WARRANTY
JOB#1 1 451-682-00-61 INSULATION WARRANTY

TOTAL INVOICE $0.00

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Got the first notice in the mail a while back. Second letter parts had come in. Got my car dropped off in RI at Inskip. Check engine light showed a thermostat this time, want around $700 bucks for a new one installed. Will give them a shot at fixing it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Attached Pictures show before and after shots of the engine compartment insulation repairs. A few things to note:

1. The cabin side pics are MY repair-by-taping of the cabin side insulation. I used gorilla tape to hold the insulation against the edge of the compartment opening. Time will tell if this will remain effective.

2. M/B ONLY FIXED the over-the-exhaust side of the engine compartment.

These exhaust or rear side pictures were taken by shooting thru a mirror that was propped up on the cabin side of the engine compartment opening.
It looks and feels like M/B either had a pre-molded shape or they used some sort of adhesive to attach the repair, as well as using the disks on threaded posts as before the repair. The repair also extends along the short sides of the engine compartment, not seen in the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The diagram doesn't match what they replaced.

I just checked my wife's car. In my wife's car, the rearward edge of the insulation is sagging a bit. If it were sagging about an inch more, it would be making contact with some part of the engine/gearbox/exhaust, but I can't see what.

In the diagram - https://www.mercedesbenzsmartparts.com/images/parts/motor/fullsize/9010555.jpg , it is on the underside, to the rear of the opening, in the part labelled 1. (I can't find the insulation listed as a separate part.) If you open the engine cover and then reach in and feel along the inside towards the rear of the car, you will feel the insulation in question. It feels like a padded cloth. If you feel along it towards the rear as it arcs downward, you will reach its opposite edge. Feel from side to side for the entire width of the engine cover opening for any of it drooping enough to contact whatever is below it. Note that if the engine bay is as dirty as it is in my wife's car, your hands will get dirty.

alan
I just had the work done on my car today and I'm not exactly happy after seeing this thread. I went to pile the junk back into my car when I decided to remove the cover and take a look.
First, they removed the insulation from the engine cover and didn't replace it. I know it was there the last time I had it off.

Second, I was greeted by stuff still hanging down.

Third, I Googled the part (part number A4516820061) and then found the image in the online documentation for what they replaced. It looks like a chopped off cheap version of what the diagram above looks like:

Sigh... A quick inspection shows that's exactly what they replaced, not the whole thing.
Needless to say, I'm not happy with the results. Guess I'll try some high-temperature glue to hold the dangly bits up, and I'll have to buy some insulation for the engine cover.

·
Registered
179 Posts
. Guess I'll try some high-temperature glue to hold the dangly bits up,
I tried some spray glue, but it didn't work. Take a look at my cabin side before and after pics (above), taping the edge up works for me. If my gorilla tape job fails I'll get some HVAC foil tape, it's good to 325F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why did they remove insulation from the engine cover? That doesn't come near the exhaust. Just following directions from Mercedes, I imagine.

I guess I won't be taking out car in for the recall and will just repair it myself.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I just had the work done on my car today and I'm not exactly happy after seeing this thread. I went to pile the junk back into my car when I decided to remove the cover and take a look.
First, they removed the insulation from the engine cover and didn't replace it. I know it was there the last time I had it off.

Third, I Googled the part (part number A4516820061) and then found the image in the online documentation for what they replaced. It looks like a chopped off cheap version of what the diagram above looks like:

Sigh... A quick inspection shows that's exactly what they replaced, not the whole thing.
Needless to say, I'm not happy with the results. Guess I'll try some high-temperature glue to hold the dangly bits up, and I'll have to buy some insulation for the engine cover.
If that is any indication of what's in store with this recall, no thank you. My insulation is still in great shape.
I added the steel straps to the front and secured the rear with added screws and fender washers. Video Link https://youtu.be/4TA5NUEjoTU
and
Here are the pictures of the screws and fender washers. If the bottom of the insulation starts to droop, I will swap out the washers for 2 inch strap steel bent into a "L shape" to hold up the bottom of the insulation, before I'll allow a dealer to hack away like they did with Wayneqsr's smart.
Is there any way to guarantee it won't happen?

·
3,178 Posts
If that is any indication of what's in store with this recall, no thank you. My insulation is still in great shape.
I added the steel straps to the front and secured the rear with added screws and fender washers.
I totally agree with you!! I can't imagine any respectable M/B dealership could let that kind of work leave the shop. I re-glued my cabin side mat with Gorilla glue a few years ago and it is still holding well. It did not look anything like the one posted above. It was just a little loose in a couple of small areas.

The rear mat still looks like it just left the factory. I will continue to check the conditions of the mats, but my car will not darken the door of the local M/B- former smart dealer local to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
Scheduled to have mine done on Tuesday, They are driving me to work, performing the repair and then dropping the car off afterwards. Hopefully they will do a good job as I know it is drooping in the back, and in the front by the alternator. I was hoping they would fix it all but it doesn't sound like it from the posts here.

Oh well, I need to replace the exhaust too. They said they would do it for a measly $300 (i supply the parts) if they do it when they do the recall. Guess I can do it myself for $300

101 - 120 of 130 Posts