Smart Car of America Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why did they remove insulation from the engine cover? That doesn't come near the exhaust. Just following directions from Mercedes, I imagine.

I guess I won't be taking out car in for the recall and will just repair it myself.
If they removed the insulation from the engine cover they were not following recall instructions, mine was untouched.

For me, I think the dealership did a great job, quickly, and it didn’t cost me a cent.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Here is my Temporary Fix plus added Ideas for future more permanent repair.
Pictures added for two weeks then I have to delete due to forum Limits.
If that is any indication of what's in store with this recall, no thank you. My insulation is still in great shape.
I added the steel straps to the front . Here is a video link of someone NOT ME installing the front straps. https://youtu.be/4TA5NUEjoTU
And secured the rear with added screws and fender washers.
Here are the pictures of the screws and fender washers. If the bottom of the insulation starts to droop, I will swap out the washers for 2 inch strap steel bent into a "L shape" to hold up the bottom of the insulation, before I'll allow a dealer to hack away like they did with Wayneqsr's smart.
Is there any way to guarantee it won't get messed up like his?

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
Got mine done today, dropped it off at 1, back by 3:30. they drove me to work, dropped the car off hen it was done, gave it a much needed bath and a vacuuming out. Although it was pouring rain when they dropped it off, the bugs are gone off the front.

·
Super Moderator
11,220 Posts
I didn't see what they did, but the front insulation (which is also hanging down) is still in place as is the insulation under the top cover. I was also treated good, not like the red haired stepchild I have heard some being treated as. I thought it was nice of them to give me a ride to my work, and to drop the car off at my work once the repair was done.

Only down side is the used a pressure washer on the hood which knocked some paint off. oh well...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
On the back of the form that I received, there is mention of being reimbursed for the repair if it is not performed at a smart center. My closest center is 4 hours each way. There is a MB dealer near me, related to the Mother dealer that owned the smart center where I purchased mine way far away. I don't want a butcher job done, so I am considering doing this myself. Has anyone done this repair on their own yet. How good are the instructions. A high temp. adhesive is available from Appliance Repair parts stores used to glue seals in dryers, in case anyone hasn't thought of this. AS a retired appliance sales rep. I thought I would mention it as an option. Thanks for the part number mentioned above. I trust it comes with instructions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
They did not touch my engine cover under the recall. They replaced the rear insulation over the exhaust. Now it is tight up against the body. My front insulation was saging slightly but fully intact. I use some permatex RTV adhesive to glue it to the body and use medium binder clips to hold until cured. Worked a charm and it is now all held up to the body and you can not even see it from the top anymore,

·
Registered
808 Posts
Repair With Steel Straps

My Permanent Repair with Steel Straps less than $20
Steel straps bought at Lowes
I added the steel straps to the front . Here is a video link of someone NOT ME installing the front straps. https://youtu.be/4TA5NUEjoTU
My insulation mat front and back was in such good condition, that I decided to make a permanent repair, instead of the recall replacement. I really didn't want a dealer to hack away like they did with Wayneqsr's smart and others.
I added some steel straps bent into a "L shape" and a long steel strap running the most of the width of the rear of the engine bay to hold up the bottom of the insulation.
After the picture was taken I reformed the strap to better conture the bottom.

Pictures added for two weeks then I have to delete due to forum Limits.

Good Luck

JL :smartje.bl.zl:

121 - 130 of 130 Posts