·
Registered
1,224 Posts
From cars.com:

Recall date
2018-04-27
Recall no.
18V273000

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. (MBUSA) is recalling certain 2008-2009 smart fortwo cabrio and fortwo coupe vehicles. The rear insulation mat in the engine compartment may deform, deteriorate, and loosen over time, allowing the mat to contact hot exhaust system components.

Recall consequence:

If the mat contacts hot exhaust system components, it can increase the risk of a fire.

Recall action:

MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the rear insulation mat with an improved one, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in July 2018. Owners may contact MBUSA customer service at 1-800-367-6372.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Has anyone seen anything about this in the UK? I cannot find anything.

Just interested really, I don't see fixing saggy sound proofing as being a problem worth the effort of driving to a garage myself. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Has anyone seen anything about this in the UK? I cannot find anything.

Just interested really, I don't see fixing saggy sound proofing as being a problem worth the effort of driving to a garage myself. :)
I have seen two situations where the insulation at the rear of the engine compartment had become saturated with oil and then drooped down over the exhaust system and started to smolder, emitting smoke. The two owner's who reported this had to soak the sagging insulation with water and then tear out the damaged insulation before proceeding with their trip.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hmm
I don’t think that the rear mat is sagging on either of the 08’s and I know for sure it’s not on the 09.(will check both to be sure when I can and it’s not snowing)
I do knot the front one (the one at the area behind the seats up to the top of the engine) is sagging and coming apart on one of the 08’s and am a bit concerned about driving it after I get it running.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmm
I don’t think that the rear mat is sagging on either of the 08’s and I know for sure it’s not on the 09.(will check both to be sure when I can and it’s not snowing)
I do knot the front one (the one at the area behind the seats up to the top of the engine) is sagging and coming apart on one of the 08’s and am a bit concerned about driving it after I get it running.
I have had the front insulation come loose on both our 08 & 09. I used contact cement to reattach the insulation and used clothes pegs to hold it in place while the cement cured. I did this about 10 years ago and so far the insulation has remained in place.

·
Registered
975 Posts
One of them I might be able to do that but the other looks like a rat(or multiple) has gotten to it.

thanks for uploading the pics jo it will definitely help (whenever I can do it and it stops snowing here)
Since the red 08 has the exhaust system out I can do it from underneath when I can.
I’ve been keeping a check on both on the 09 so far no problems with it.
Still can’t get the website to work on putting the vin number in(I can put the vin in but it doesn’t do anything afterwards when I hit enter it just sits there weird)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
4,055 Posts
I have had the front insulation come loose on both our 08 & 09. I used contact cement to reattach the insulation and used clothes pegs to hold it in place while the cement cured. I did this about 10 years ago and so far the insulation has remained in place.
I did the same think on my '09. Still holding fine after all this time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did anyone actually call a dealer to see if it will be replace? I see it’s from 2018 so maybe most vehicles has been serviced already or had the serviced done and the new mat just wore out again

·
Registered
975 Posts
I tried the website but it didn’t cooperate and I don’t trust my local dealer since they damaged my 09 when I had it there.
The only other dealer that’s close to me is up in Kentucky.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Did anyone actually call a dealer to see if it will be replace? I see it’s from 2018 so maybe most vehicles has been serviced already or had the serviced done and the new mat just wore out again
Yes. My “local” dealer performed the service free of charge. It took about 3 hours.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.