Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hmmmm ...

possibly taken out of context but did the spokesman from smart really say:

"don’t want to drive a rinky-dink car" ?? should go back to PR school

If gas does indeed continue to go up you would think there would be a tipping point for smaller cars to significantly increase in interest beyond 30K per year. Many folks in the U.S. still equate a lower value for smaller size but the MINI and actually the Audi A3 (as well as my own Mazda3 GT 5-door) is disproving that people will spend a little more for a premium small vehicle if it suits their needs (just not currently in HUGE numbers).

This is still the best time that smart could have introduced the car to the U.S. because in the short term gas will continue to go up ... hopefully the smart quality won't come in question due to PR comments ( ... my wife will not drive a 'rinky-dink' car ...)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
MSNBC said:
Smart says more than 30,000 consumers have put down a refundable $99 deposit to reserve a Smart car. Those deposits do not guarantee sales, but the company is hoping to move at least 30,000 units in the first year, said spokeswoman Jessica Gemmara. “There will obviously be some fallout from the reservation program because of life changes, or because people move — things like that, but our goal is to fulfill all those orders,” she said...
Hopefully fulfill them in 2008.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
From MSNBC.com:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21882844/

I'd call this a biased news article. :(
I'm not so sure that it is intentionally biased as much as peripherally informed and following popular thought. The writer isn't much of an automotive type, and probably the boss came and said "Hey this smart thing is getting big; we (you) need to get out some copy on it too."

·
Super Moderator
29,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Such strong sales are unlikely for the Fortwo, some analysts say. Even in Europe Smart has never been profitable." [which analysts? why unlikely?]

"Not many U.S. subcompact cars sell in the 30,000-unit range." [so...what?]

"Another key issue is safety, particularly given the Smart Fortwo’s diminutive size. It is significantly smaller even than other subcompacts, so concerns " [crash test performance?]

"Another possible indicator of low demand for the Fortwo is that many [how many? where?] city dwellers, considered to be a prime target market for the Smart cars, use car sharing services like Zipcar or rent cars for shopping trips or weekends away."

Subjective comments with a negative slant, IMO. They don't have a crystal ball and seem to ignore the 30K reservations smart already has in hand. Just my .02 but I think there's a negative spin on the article.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
It's all alot of pointless banter until the cars get here....simple as that. Once thousands of them get into the hands of real people in real city and highway driving and start logging some miles .....then we'll see how well taken they are.
Sometimes there is even too much hype on here and I can take the blame for some of it. The ultimate optimist that I am makes me hopeful that this car, with all it's charm, small size and hope for the future, will create a paradigm shift in the US regarding big cars and more power (and terrible gas mileage as a result). The reality that will ultimately cause this paradigm shift is NOT necessarily convincing JQ Public that microcars are the best thing since sliced bread. That lesson will be taught BY DEFAULT when, and as the ever skyrocketing petroleum prices continue to line the pockets of our foreign enemies as it is taken from the pockets of good, hardworking Americans that don't quite get it YET! But they will...it will just take some time, that's all.
The Smart will be at the forefront of this change in attitude....I am certain of that.
The next thing that will take some time for JQ Public to realize and understand is that individual transportation DOES NOT have to be fueled with petroleum but that use of electricity as a fuel, whose infrastructure already exists, (but whose battery technology is still evolving)will slowly but surely replace fossil fuels for individual transportation needs.
I will step down off my soapbox now.....:D :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Subjective comments with a negative slant, IMO. They don't have a crystal ball and seem to ignore the 30K reservations smart already has in hand. Just my .02 but I think there's a negative spin on the article.
I think you are giving the reporter too much credit. Seems that writer is more likely lazy and stupid (per the unsupported claims and beige reporting you highlighted) than purposely presenting a negative spin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts