Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just recently had a baby and had to sell my 2008 smart fortwo. We only used it about 4-5 times (wild guess). Its has a 2 bike capacity. Is anyone in the market for one? I live in Arlington, TX just north of the 30.

Im asking for $200.00 OBO

Attachments

·
17,349 Posts
You can't beat $200 anywhere. Even on eBay, I couldn't find myself getting a bike rack for my smart for any less than like $500.

I just ended up getting a U-Haul hitch for $228 and a hitch bike rack for $38.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
That a great price for that. I can't remember what the dealer was asking for them back in 08.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
You can't beat $200 anywhere. Even on eBay, I couldn't find myself getting a bike rack for my smart for any less than like $500.

I just ended up getting a U-Haul hitch for $228 and a hitch bike rack for $38.
Neon, how are you doing that with a center exhaust? Is the u haul hitch sitting below your exhaust?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Key question. Are the frame mounts that attached to the car under the rear panel included or did they go with the car?

·
17,349 Posts
Neon, how are you doing that with a center exhaust? Is the u haul hitch sitting below your exhaust?
Yep, it's like a Curt Hitch, it hangs an inch or two under the exhaust tip (and an inch forward toward the wheels).

They gave me a really long "L" shaped bar that sticks out behind and over the exhaust tip. In my testing, the bar gets a little warm but nothing too hot to handle (it could be covered in an exhaust heat wrap if that becomes a problem).

The setup looks a bit like this, but I'll get a real pic of it later.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I pm'd the OP shortly after the original post to buy the rack if it has the hardware to mount it to the car but have not heard back.
Mick

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Let me try and help you out...

There are two clamps that are drilled in to the body of the car. Each clamp has an metal tap that the rack supports on to. The other area of support is in the tow holes via a black adapter that goes in to the tow holes. When I was installing mine there was an entire bag of hardware. (Clamps, screws...) You need that hardware, and I believe it can be purchased or acquired on its own. Accessory pack, or hardware pack. It came in its own box back in 2008.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The original poster has not responded to my pm which was placed right after the thread was posted so I think the OP has flown the coop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts