Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
17,345 Posts
IIRC - Only the American smart models have eight airbags and the 4yr/50k warranty standard. Every other model retains the original warranty and the original four airbags (two front & two side/thorax) that launched with the 451.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right; I mentioned only in that the american model might squeeze out an extra 1/2 star ;-) against the fiat.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Notice how those Fiats in other markets have the same transmission technology as the smart cars...

...self-shifting manuals are good to those who know how to use them...

·
17,345 Posts
TECHNOLOGY
Smart - owned by Daimler AG - thinks small when it comes to power. The 1.0-litre, three-cylinder turbo (52kW/92Nm) is good for 4.4L/100km on 95 RON fuel. The 0-100km/h time is a leisurely 13.3 seconds. Sequential transmission, similar to the Fiat's, but the five-speeder drives the rear wheels - which are wider than the fronts.

DESIGN
Its dimensions (2.7m long) make it look decidedly vulnerable. But it's comfortable for two and has a bigger standard boot (220L) than the Fiat. Also has an electric fabric top that, in this case, can be opened and closed at any speed. The rear-drive design puts the boot above the tiny engine.
Not sure those belong in those categories. :D

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
You can get a standard 5 speed manual, and the optional Dualogic fuzzy logic transmission. I'd take the 5 speed manual, over a semi automatic.
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean the automated-manual is a "bad" transmission. I believe a more accurate description would be that you prefer controlling clutch engagement with your foot because you have better control of the transmission.

For some folks skillful enough to control every up and down shift with the throttle pedal, it's not a problem requiring a solution. No solution needed IMO. :cool:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
From what I've read about the Fiat Dualogic. It's not recommended. Very jerky. Worst then the smarts transmission. Glad we have a Japanese made 6 speed automatic here, on the 500's.:)

Wish Fiat would bring the 6 speed manual here, for the Abarth.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Actually, I for one think that the 500 has fantastic agility. :)
Compared to a Mack truck, sure. :cool:

Fiat 500's have very poor handling quickness, I don't know why it isn't a large issue with the mainstream opinion leaders. It's a small car but try tossing it around at speed and it feels like a Honda Odyssey compared to a smart car. It's very slow and the rack n pinion unit offers very numb feedback to its driver.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts

Fiat 500's have very poor handling quickness, I don't know why it isn't a large issue with the mainstream opinion leaders. It's a small car but try tossing it around at speed and it feels like a Honda Odyssey compared to a smart car. It's very slow and the rack n pinion unit offers very numb feedback to its driver.
I don't agree. I own both a 08 smart carbio and 12 500c. I find the 500 to handle quite well. Now my original 57 500 didn't handle too well maybe that's what you are thinking.:D

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I don't agree. I own both a 08 smart carbio and 12 500c. I find the 500 to handle quite well. Now my original 57 500 didn't handle too well maybe that's what you are thinking.:D
I'm thinking steering accuracy, preciseness, and ability to make quick maneuvers. The Fiat 500 has a good, solid, firm rack n pinion unit, but the steering assist is too aggressive and takes away pinpoint agility that is always there with the smart car and in general most sporty small cars for that matter.

A cone test will trip the car up rather quickly. Once you go one direction and swing the wheel back in the other the car will quickly lose accuracy...

·
17,345 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts

Not sure what your talking about. My Abarth handles like it on rails. My first 500 Sport handle better too. My smart car is NO sports car. If you want a rear drive Fiat. The Alfa will be on sale next year.

·
17,345 Posts
Not sure what your talking about. My Abarth handles like it on rails. My first 500 Sport handle better too. My smart car is NO sports car. If you want a rear drive Fiat. The Alfa will be on sale next year.

That's the Alfa Romeo 8C, it's no longer in production. :confused:

What you're talking about is the new Alfa Romeo 4C. :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts