Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo - Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car and put it in reverse, you can hear and feel a loud clunk. It appears to be getting worse. Sometimes it's louder than other times. I hear this even after waiting for the exhaust fan to turn off. I noticed that if I've been driving the car for a while it doesn't do it. So I've been backing into my parking spaces.

This makes me believe it could be related to the clutch actuator. Perhaps after driving a bit, it warms or loosens up. I'm considering replacing it but I'm concerned about being able to calibrate the actuator afterwards. Do I need software to calibrate it?

I have a 2015 Smart Fortwo with 48,000 miles.

Here's a short video clip of the sound it makes:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Mine clunks every now and then when going into reverse. Especially when cold and it's the first start of the week, month or months.
Kind of reminds me of putting a manual transmission into reverse before all the gears of stopped turning.

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo - Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine clunks every now and then when going into reverse. Especially when cold and it's the first start of the week or month.
Kind of reminds me of putting a manual transmission into reverse before all the gears of stopped turning.
Yeah! That's pretty close to my area. A family member told me the noise could be related to the motor mounts. They might be too loose. Here's a clip of it starting up but it didn't clunk this time:

In this clip, we released the breaks while in park and let it roll forward a bit. Then it made the noise again:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts