Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo - Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car and put it in reverse, you can hear and feel a loud clunk. It appears to be getting worse. Sometimes it's louder than other times. I hear this even after waiting for the exhaust fan to turn off. I noticed that if I've been driving the car for a while it doesn't do it. So I've been backing into my parking spaces.

This makes me believe it could be related to the clutch actuator. Perhaps after driving a bit, it warms or loosens up. I'm considering replacing it but I'm concerned about being able to calibrate the actuator afterwards. Do I need software to calibrate it?

I have a 2015 Smart Fortwo with 48,000 miles.

Here's a short video clip of the sound it makes:

·
Registered
2015 Smart Fortwo - Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine clunks every now and then when going into reverse. Especially when cold and it's the first start of the week or month.
Kind of reminds me of putting a manual transmission into reverse before all the gears of stopped turning.
Yeah! That's pretty close to my area. A family member told me the noise could be related to the motor mounts. They might be too loose. Here's a clip of it starting up but it didn't clunk this time:

In this clip, we released the breaks while in park and let it roll forward a bit. Then it made the noise again:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.