Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Even though this car has a Florida title it is probably illegal and can be confiscated as a non USA vehicle.

:eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
The states have the authority to register cars in this country. All states have their own criteria for the title on an imported car. It could be some interesting political games if the feds started challenging the states rights and the states claim the feds should have exercised their rights at the border when the cars crossed. With the relatively small number of cars involved, I doubt there is enough financial incentive for either side to initiate such a legal battle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
There is no issue of reservation of powers here. States are responsible for registration and titling of vehicles in their jurisdiction, the purpose of which is primarily to protect property ownership and facilitate taxation.

The federal government regulates vehicle safety and emissions, because cars are such mobile things, and it would make no sense to have different standards in each state.

On that basis, every vehicle under 25 years old permanantly imported into the US must comply with federal safety and emissions standards, and have stickers attached to the body certifying compliance, either from the manufacturer or a registered importer. That's federal law and applies in all states.

Think of it as the automotive equivalent of an illegal alien. Just because someone makes it across the border illegally and then manages to get themselves a state issued ID, doesn't mean they can't be deported later on if they get caught.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes but once the car crosses the border, periodic vehicle inspections are state issues, some do and some don't. The feds are doing such a good job with illegal immigration that I doubt the owner of this car is looking over his shoulder. Also it's amazing the rights an illegal alien has once across the border.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The feds are doing such a good job with illegal immigration that I doubt the owner of this car is looking over his shoulder.
That's for sure! I would think the little smart could easily reach the 25 year threshhold without being detected. On the other hand, it's not exactly inconspicuous. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agree with carnut on the risk.

Another risk- imagine getting repairs and parts-

Care to tow it from Florida to Ottawa for a repair? And sooner or later any car needs to be repaired.

I love the diesel smart and have rented it many times in Europe but this one just seems too risky for this nervous nellie.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Actually, I've looked at the car and it can be serviced very well by the seller who owns a repair facility, provided you live/work nearby. :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The feds don't have to chase after it..... thanks to Internet forums like this there will be some Dudley do right that will make and issue about it and sooner or later some "agent" will get a note from his boss to check it out....

Amateur Radio licensees are exceedingly prone to scouring the web and e-bay adds for illegal amplifiers targeted to the CB crowd.... every now and then they get FCC's attention and "enforcement" actions follow-- although not very fast or consistantly...

This car may fly under the radar for years but I wouldn't bet my hard earned $21 thou on that.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
What about special constructed vehicles. How is it that I can buy a car new right now, that doesn't meet any of the federal emmissions laws??? It is registered under specialty builit, or special construction in Iowa.

These cars seem to be given an exemption, why couldn't a person buy a car like this and have it fall under the same exemptions.

Maybe they had bought the body with no drivetrain??? THIS IS NOT a vehicle by federal law for the purposes of meeting emissions. So then they get it here and install a drivetrain, then they register as a specially constructed vehicle. This car is completely legal if you did it this way. If you bought it from someone else with reciepts showing this, then you are perfectly legal also....there are a 100 ways to have a car without meeting the emissions laws, just don't do anything to intentionally get around emissions laws or they will nail you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

Here is the site and information people are always talking about in regards to EPA.

Could a person buy a kit? Sure you just can't buy a car whole and intentionally disassemble it to get around the rules....the problem is you can claim the car as a kit, and if you have the supporting documents, no one is going to be able to go backwards and prove it wasn't.

It's like removing an OEM catalytic converter. You can't by law, but if it is missing you can replace it with an aftermarket unit. So in reality, they can really only enforce this rule, if they actually catch you removing it.....not very likely.

If the Car was ever registered in Canada as what it is, you can't go back, it's too late.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just looked at all of the photo's. That car is illegally registered. Note they are giving you a Florida Title to transfer ownership. That is not the same as guarantee that you will be able to transfer ownership. It would never make it through in Iowa.

·
Registered
183 Posts
All states accept titles from all other states as proof of ownership. They go under the assumption that the the first state to title the car accepted whatever import proceedure or documentation was presented to it. This goes back to the authority to issue the first title.

·
Registered
564 Posts
All states accept titles from all other states as proof of ownership. They go under the assumption that the the first state to title the car accepted whatever import proceedure or documentation was presented to it. This goes back to the authority to issue the first title.
That is certainly not the case in Colorado. To title an out of state vehicle here you must have a law enforcement officer do a VIN inspection on the car first, and you then present that form with your title paperwork. You also have to have a formal VIN search from both Colorado and the state of origin (to demonstrate that the title is not bogus nor the car stolen).

I have gone through this process three times, and the State Troopers who did mine were very well versed in VINs and certifications.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been through at least 20 VIN inspections and that is what they inspect. They verify that the paperwork matches the vehicle and that the vehicle is clear, no leans and not stolen. Lein holders like to know when their security leaves the state. The pollution and safety inspections are the ones that cause problems.

I spent 2 hours with a VIN inspection on my Bentley because it is only 6 characters long. He was convinced there had to be the 14 character number somewere on the car. Funny, he never did find it but I did get my title. Older Harley Davidsons are also fun, the number is only on one part of the engine case and not on the frame.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Iowa uses a recognized VIN number system. It would not recognize this VIN number because it isn't a US VIN number. They don't give a rats ass if it was titled by another state or not.

I called with the VIN number, they said, it was not recognized by the system....in Iowa that is code for "good luck", your starting from square one. In fact you would need a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My concern is that there is no mention that I can see in the listing addressing this issue. Someone should make eBay aware of this as I'm sure they would not allow an illegal transaction which could expose them for liability.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The fact that he has it registered illegally doesn't make it an illegal transaction. He is being very careful of the wording. This person has been around the block a few times. They are saying "what you get" not saying if it will be registerable. Your buying the car as represented and if you can't register it later, that is your own fault.

Ebay could care less. You can sell all sorts of vehicles that aren't legal to register, they make no warranty on this issue. You have what you need to prove ownership, that is not the same as having what you need to register the car. Believe me, I have been around and around on this issue with Ebay. I once bought a 4 wheeler and that person gave me a bill of sale, as they didn't have a title for such vehicles in TN. Got back to Iowa, and they said "you need a title in Iowa". I explained it to them and they said, that is your problem not ours. I ended up having to get Yamaha send me a copy of the "Certificate of Origin". It cost me money to do this, but the official answer was, not our problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts