Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hi
I have a 2015 Smart ED, I bought from a dealer in Centralia,WA. I have it at home in Kapowsin,WA on high blocks to get the HV battery out. It is a little tricky to get the battery out, I use my motorcycle stand from Harbor Freight. On the back side is the HV plug and a Hose with a quick connect, on the driver side in the back is the Communication plug, on the front are two coolant lines. The Battery weights 400lbs . When the battery is removed from the car, remove all nut and screws. drill out the rivets and break the seal. A blow dryer helps and a flat screwdriver. Pull the cover strait up and on the left side is the BMS.
I send my BMS to Lithuania per EQpassion via USPS for about $70. FEDEX was $280. USPS only track within the US. I got it back after 6 weeks and the Brick error P18051C has been deleted for good, but there are 21 other error still active, some are just in Memory. My AUTEL scanner says it cannot delete the errors.
I build a charger with part I had. I does not monitor the battery. i check the battery over time if it has equal charge and increased the voltage slowly. Now the battery is at 70% according to the gauge on my dashboard that is 360Volt DC. The fuse in the HV Battery is over 200A that more power that PSE delivers to my house lol. Still HV to Workshop is displayed. I am looking for extra stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Back home again. was 14 day in Los Angeles on a Service call repairing Two machines for a customer. According to the readout there are shorts in some wires. To ground and to plus. It would be nice to get a wiring diagram for the car. This way I could use my Volt/ Ohm meter and find out if the "shorts" are real or Imaginary. I don't have a big enough garage to park the car inside, today is a little to cold 32F ( oder 0 Grad Celsius für die Deutschen) To many other toys. To me it was interesting that only Former East-block countries had people that hacked the BMS. At least here is one now here in the US. The attached file can be changed to .CSV and opened in Excel or with Open Office Spreed sheet
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I filled up the coolant tank with water hoping the pumps turn on an the Coolant empty error would go away, but it did not. Last time it worked. but it took a while and then I saw the water moving in the expansion tank. The current sensor issue is interesting. I never had current from my charger go through it. To me as electrician the sensor should not care if the current come from the internal or an external charger. Since I bought the car cheap,($2000 + tax) knowing it did not charge, but did not know that it is getting that tricky to get it fixed. Fuses and contactors are simple to replace.
I wonder if the current sensor is a LEM module we had on the Ingersoll GHK EDM generator ( cir 1990) for electrical discharge machining (Funkenerosion). We checked the DC current for display purpose, that would be the same for the % Powermeter A15p6. Displaying the battery discharge or regen charge.
Good thing is the battery is still at 75% according to the SOC meter and has not changed in the last 14 days. Hopefully the weather get better and I can work some more on the car.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top