Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The third generation Smart fortwo is on its way, hitting dealers in the spring of 2012. The electric Smart car will roll off the production line in Hamback, France and will be available in more than thirty markets worldwide when released.

The third generation smart fortwo electric drive features a fifty-five kW magneto-electric motor, churning out 130 lb-ft of torque. The fortwo will accelerate from 0-62 mph in less than thirteen seconds, and have a top speed of more than 120 km/h. The 17.6 kWh battery allows the car to travel more than 140 kilometers before needing a recharge.

"The smart fortwo has exceeded itself. It has always been a pioneer of urban mobility and with the new electric drive it is once again setting standards with even more driving fun and environmental compatibility," says Dr. Annette Winkler, Head of smart. "With the new generation the frequently cited "electric era" has finally arrived."

The third- gen Smart car will feature a larger radiator grille featuring the electric drive logo, stylish LED lights below the headlights, wider door sills and several modifications to the rear of the vehicle. Smart has also teamed up with iPhone to create a drive app. Important features include making phone calls via hands-free system, your own extensive music collection, internet radio and a navigation system.

More: Smart Fortwo Electric Drive Coming In Spring Of 2012 on AutoGuide.com

643 Posts
You will all love the next one!

By the way, anybody acquiring the current electric drive smart will automatically qualify for first dibs on the next electric drive without any increases in monthly lease payments. What you pay monthly for the current one will be what you pay monthly for the replacement electric drive smart (or possibly less)... but that's only if you acquire the electric drive right now. If the prices go up, current electric drive customers won't have an increase in their monthly payments.

So please visit us, or send us referrals if you or anybody you know is interested in acquiring the electric drive smart fortwo. We have a crystal white coupe with design tan interior currently in stock.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
...first dibbs on the next electric drive without any increases in monthly lease payments. What you pay monthly for the current one will be what you pay monthly for the replacement electric drive smart....
WHAT !!!.... STILL $45k for a smart :mad: ..... NOT so smart :rolleyes:

Guess I'll wait for the 13's or 14's ..... OR .... something else by then :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The $45k price tag is the actual cost for the limited run pre-production model with very expensive Tesla batteries.

I took the ED out for a test drive on the weekend. smart Canada is doing a country wide tour. A representative from smart is expecting prices to under cut everyone else when the car is sold next year. Likely something around $25k. Europe is getting first dibs on the car. Depending on demand, North America may have to wait a little while to get cars.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The $45k price tag is the actual cost for the limited run pre-production model with very expensive Tesla batteries.

I took the ED out for a test drive on the weekend. smart Canada is doing a country wide tour. A representative from smart is expecting prices to under cut everyone else when the car is sold next year. Likely something around $25k. Europe is getting first dibs on the car. Depending on demand, North America may have to wait a little while to get cars.
Now THAT'S more like it :p

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If it comes in around that price, we also get a $8000 discount on EV's in this Province and I can work out a deal to charge the unit at work I will buy a convertible one. I don't think I will drive it in the winter, the new gas car will be best for that.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
yeah, don't drive it in the winter, or summer, or when you want to go very far, or for economy. The fact that hey have to be subsidized with taxpayer money speaks volumes abut the EV's non-readiness to be introduce to the market place.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The A/C uses about 5% of the range if it is used continuously, that does not bother me at all and a good reason to get the cabrio. The extra torque at 0 rpm and the fact the heater does use a significant amount of the reserve, would be the only reasons it would not be my first choice for a winter vehicle. But if I can travel back and forth to work from spring to fall for $2 per day, I am going to jump at that.

As for government initiatives to get EV's on the road, if that is what it take then I have no issue with that. Less money for the government to waste on themselves and their friends.

The US government had to bail out the banks, GM and Chrysler, how much is that costing tax payers still? Subsidizing EV's will be less than a drop in the bucket.

The ICE is such a paradigm of efficiency and environmental friendliness, let's just wait until all the oil is used up and a replacement is absolutely perfect before we release something new.

643 Posts
Not to mention that those in the US who get one now are guaranteed to have first dibs on the new one! Without having to pay anything additional.

As far as the $45k MSRP price goes... that's only used to calculate the lease payment. The vehicle is not sold at that price, so even with $45k we cannot contract it to a buyer for that.

Remember, the monthly payment of the electric drive is more geared towards the overall cost of production for such a limited production run during a testing phase. The smart ED (2011) was not intended for or marketed to the mainstream everyday car buyer. So when we discuss the lease payment, let's all at least acknowledge that fact.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The A/C uses about 5% of the range if it is used continuously, that does not bother me at all and a good reason to get the cabrio. The extra torque at 0 rpm and the fact the heater does use a significant amount of the reserve, would be the only reasons it would not be my first choice for a winter vehicle. But if I can travel back and forth to work from spring to fall for $2 per day, I am going to jump at that.

As for government initiatives to get EV's on the road, if that is what it take then I have no issue with that. Less money for the government to waste on themselves and their friends.

The US government had to bail out the banks, GM and Chrysler, how much is that costing tax payers still? Subsidizing EV's will be less than a drop in the bucket.

The ICE is such a paradigm of efficiency and environmental friendliness, let's just wait until all the oil is used up and a replacement is absolutely perfect before we release something new.
5% for AC sounds VERY optimistic. Actually a battery is just an on-board energy storage device just like any other. It doesn't matter if it's in a really BAD form like hydrogen, or something efficient like gas, or better yet diesel. The energy comes from somewhere, in the US more than 50% of the electricity is generated by coal, so the point being it isn't always so easy to tell what is bad, badder, and baddest (LOL). Right now, the biggest problem is that batteries are heavy, and they don't store much energy (not nearly enoeugh for me). In practice, the ranges are ALWAYS lower than they say. Yeah, if you are driving 35 mph maybe you could get some range (still inadequate for me though), but in real-world conditions they just come up horribly short, unfortunately. I think the day will come, but it's a WAYS off yet.

Not to mention that those in the US who get one now are guaranteed to have first dibs on the new one! Without having to pay anything additional.

As far as the $45k MSRP price goes... that's only used to calculate the lease payment. The vehicle is not sold at that price, so even with $45k we cannot contract it to a buyer for that.

Remember, the monthly payment of the electric drive is more geared towards the overall cost of production for such a limited production run during a testing phase. The smart ED (2011) was not intended for or marketed to the mainstream everyday car buyer. So when we discuss the lease payment, let's all at least acknowledge that fact.
Until there is a real product with a real (unsubsidised) price, then there is no way to do any kind of actual comparison. It's all chatter...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The smart EV range appears to be quite accurate from the various auto reviews. Once Nissan sorted out the remaining charge info issue with the Leaf, I believe they are quite accurate as well.

Like the smart, people need to buy/lease EV's, find out how they work in the real world, let other people see them and ask questions to negate all the false information about the product and tell the manufacturer what needs improving.

It is going to take incentives in some areas to sell the first numerous thousands. I am happy to have my tax dollars go there, not so much when GM and Chrysler were bailed out.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The smart EV range appears to be quite accurate from the various auto reviews. Once Nissan sorted out the remaining charge info issue with the Leaf, I believe they are quite accurate as well.

Like the smart, people need to buy/lease EV's, find out how they work in the real world, let other people see them and ask questions to negate all the false information about the product and tell the manufacturer what needs improving.

It is going to take incentives in some areas to sell the first numerous thousands. I am happy to have my tax dollars go there, not so much when GM and Chrysler were bailed out.
I'm not happy about any of my tax money going to private enterprise, or selected individuals, but that's for another forum. There are situations that the limitations of an EV could be made to work, just wouldn't work where I'm from nor with my situation (nor most people I'm afraid), and certainly it's a tough sell base purely on economics. It's cute concept and all, just not nearly ready for prime time. When they are, you won't have to convince anyone to buy them (tax incentives not necessary) as people will buy them when they make sense. Until then they are just toys for the rich.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts