Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here not sure if this is the right place to post this I've been riding a motorcycle for the past 4 years as my only transportation but after a accident I had on a bike a year ago I have some family members trying to get me to buy a car but I find cars always need something and cost a lot in up keep and every car I've seen is bigger then I need.

Then I found the smart car it's perfect size but it still going to cost more to maintain then my bike but I found that I can put a motorcycle engine in the car witch I like I can still have the sound of a motorcycle and safe at the same time.

My question is would a GSXR 600cc engine have enough power for driving in the city and the odd trip on the highway?

I know a lot of engine swaps are with the GSXR 1000cc engine but I would like something that's not over powered or under powered but has the right amount of power with plenty of power to get it to go if I need it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Folks have put Hayabusa engines in these. If a bigger engine fits, a smaller engine will fit.

The Gixxer engine has around 100 hp (realistically). The smart's engine has 70 hp but more torque. In my opinion, that isn't enough difference to make it worthwhile, and when moving a heavier (than a motorcycle) vehicle, the lack of low end torque will prove tiresome.

I do not think a motorcycle engine swap is a good idea for something that you will be driving day in and day out.
- No (real) reverse gear ...
- No provision for comfort factors: air conditioning, cruise control, etc.
- Clutch and gearshift operation is likely to be awkward
- No interface with the vehicle's ABS and stability-control systems
- While the original Mitsubishi engine does not have a great reputation for long term durability ... I think it's going to be, on average, longer-lived than a motorcycle engine in this application.
- If your area has periodic emissions testing ... there is no way your motorcycle-engine-swap vehicle will pass.
- You lose your trunk space.

A better choice is to simply turbo the existing Mitsubishi engine. While a turbo kit is not cheap ... it mostly-fixes all of the above issues.

smart car Turbo Upgrade Kit - Stage 2 Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

And there's another factor ... It is not ALL about horsepower. I opted to leave the engine alone in the interest of at least keeping the stock level of reliability, but installed four alloy rims 6.5x15 with Falken tires 195/50-15 and installed a Bilstein B14 coil-over suspension kit. Still doesn't have much power but I no longer have to slow down for corners ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not think a motorcycle engine swap is a good idea for something that you will be driving day in and day out.
- No (real) reverse gear ...
- No provision for comfort factors: air conditioning, cruise control, etc.
- Clutch and gearshift operation is likely to be awkward
- No interface with the vehicle's ABS and stability-control systems
- While the original Mitsubishi engine does not have a great reputation for long term durability ... I think it's going to be, on average, longer-lived than a motorcycle engine in this application.
- If your area has periodic emissions testing ... there is no way your motorcycle-engine-swap vehicle will pass.
- You lose your trunk space.

- reverse gear isn't a problem electric motor with reversed electrical current and chain drive.
- I don't use a/c in cars anyway I just roll the windows down, cruise control never had it.
- out of the 2 cars I've had never had ABS or stability-control systems
- don't need trunk space the bike never had trunk space and never needed and if it's a problem the passenger seat can come out witch fixes the problem of people asking for a ride.

We do have periodic emissions testing but they take a picture of the car and vin and the dash and read the computer for faults and they also take a picture of the dash as long as there's no faults found or check engine lights on it passes at one time we had a probe that would be put in the exhaust to tell how the engine was doing but around 3 years ago the government changed it because of people getting cars Etested and the wrong car would get Etested and the car should not have passed so they came up with a new Idea.

·
Registered
912 Posts
They " ... read the computer for faults ..."

That, my friend, is an OBDII diagnostic check.

A motorcycle engine doesn't have OBDII and it is therefore impossible to pass an OBDII diagnostic check!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ex Goldwing rider checking in.......

Went from the 'wing to the Smart, for much the same reasons as you (did not have an accident, but knew it was in my future), but I missed the bike a ton.

Cold air intake, remap ECU, after market exhaust. Better, but not great. Still missed the feel of the bike.....
Bigger tires on all 4 corners and tweaked the suspension. Better, but still missed the feel of the bike.
Added a rear anti-sway bar. Whoa! Now we are getting close, but it still is not nimble enough....
Removed the roof (I had a cabrio), getting better.....
Removed the doors.....

Wow. Now, for the first time in 2 years, I really do not miss the bike.
Much better handling with the weight now down low, can really feel the wind the face and really reminds me of the bike days.
Living in SoCal helps, the weather is bike perfect all year round.

Check out my garage photos to see what she looks like. (My Instagram feed has a bunch of photos @thebaldgeek).

P.S I looked into it, and a turbo is not really the solution for guys like you and me... It will help a little with the straight line speed, but it will not help with corners, or stopping or general handling.

P.P.S I also looked into the donk swap, but there is no way we are going to get it past California smog. Bleh. But, as it turns out, I am more than happy with it now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give what you say a try I had a 1997 virago 750 but do to a knee injury from the accident with the engine vibrating between my knees causes quiet a bit of pain I moved to a burgman 400 its a great bike but it's just not the same but it's the only bike I've found that doesn't bother my knee.

I've had 2 cars my first car was a 2002 sunfire it lasted maybe a month then I took it off the road and put my bike back on the road and then went almost 2 years without driving until this year when I got a 2005 Chevy aveo hatch back good car but just not me but I had to drive it for family reasons but as soon as I was able I got rid of the car.

I find that other then the smart car there isn't really a car for people that don't really like to drive I have no problem being a passenger in a car I just hate driving but I need to be able to get around I can't use a cab cause I don't know street names I pick out buildings that's how I get around.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If cost is a concern then you can forget the motorcycle engine swap. Those cars that have them are toys, not reliable transportation. Technically, they are also unlawful, according to Federal law and will fail any emissions test from a block away.

If you are interested in a smart I suggest you buy one and drive it for awhile before you decide whether you need to make any changes.

·
17,390 Posts
Removed the roof (I had a cabrio), getting better.....
Removed the doors.....
Holy schnikes! I thought you were kidding.

All you have to do is shave down the B-Pillars of the Tridion Cell and you'd have a legitimate 451 crossblade. 0:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts