Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People also ask
What does a shifter cable do?

How do you know if your shifter cable is bad?
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Shift Selector Cable
  1. Indicator doesn't match the gear. If the shift selector cable is going bad, the indicator light or cable will not match the gear you are in. ...
  2. Vehicle will not turn off. ...
  3. Vehicle starts in another gear. ...
  4. Vehicle will not go into gear.
Jan 12, 2016
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Shift Selector Cable | YourMechanic

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

If this is the Smart 451 Shifter cable. Could this be another Lubrication issue that gets overlooked as a cause of Transmission / gear selection in our Smarts.
My 451 was hard lurching when in stop and go traffic. I lubed the gear motors, and the clutch actuator as part of my ritual with oil changes. No true change in the condition.
After a bit of reading on the Shifter Cable.
I lubed up this end piece under the car. Instant change. car acting smooth as butter. I would like to disconnect this cable and drip lube into the full sleeve.

For now I will keep up with this lube in my routine Maintenance.

What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
What makes you think the smart has a shifter cable? The shifter on the 451 is "shift by wire" - no mechanical connection to the transmission. The only cable is for the parking pawl. :)

The electronic selector lever module control unit is
located in the center console.
Task
The electronic selector lever module control unit
records the shift requests of the driver.
The shift positions “N”, “R”, “+” and “” are
detected by Hall sensors in the electronic selector
lever module control unit and are read and evalu
ated by the electronics in the electronic selector
lever module control unit. The signals corre
sponding to the shift lever positions are trans
ferred to the automated manual transmission
control unit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE="jwight, post: 1678977, member: 2865"]
What makes you think the smart has a shifter cable? The shifter on the 451 is "shift by wire" - no mechanical connection to the transmission. The only cable is for the parking pawl. :)

[/QUOTE]
What Is the Cable shown above?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 451 DEFINITELY has shift by cable - not by wire. The cable shown is indeed the shifter cable for the 451. The cable end snaps onto the pawl button that is mounted to the transmission. This is a royal pain in the a** to change and if done by a competent Smart mechanic, the book states 2.7 hours. Many parts come off to gain access to the cable assembly to remove it. I'm in the midst of replacing mine as I write this. It is not easy to access and as best as I can determine, Smart laid the shifter cable down on the factory floor and then built the entire car around the cable. I was ready to draw the failed cable out when it would quite come smoothly and further removal of the interior showed the factory had zip tied the shifter cable to the wiring harness. Lovely.

The "issue" for my '08 is that the end of the cable has a snap fitting that goes into a ball mounted on the transmission. That end, over time, rusted and eventually lost it grip on the ball and fell off so shifting was futile and it was stuck in park until I could get in there and see what had happened. Fortunately, the MB dealer where I bought this 12 yrs ago was still servicing them and found only two of the metal ball brackets and 5 cables left in the entire US. Now there's one ball bracket and four cables.

Entire interior gutted for access to the cable and shifter removal.
IMG_1395.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
"The 451 DEFINITELY has shift by cable - not by wire." Not the case. The cable you are referring to is the parking pawl cable. The shifter uses Hall effect sensors to determine the position of the shift lever, and that information is transferred, via the Transmission Control Unit (TCU), to the two shift motors mounted on the transmission.

Or, per The Introduction to Service manual:

The electronic selector lever module control unit records the shift requests of the driver. The shift positions “N”, “R”, “+” and “-” are detected by Hall sensors in the electronic selector lever module control unit and are read and evaluated by the electronics in the electronic selector lever module control unit. The signals corresponding to the shift lever positions are transferred to the automated manual transmission control unit. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, having worked on the shift motors in my daily driver and having dropped the drivetrain in the spare, @jwight is correct in that the cable is for the parking prawl. Don't believe either of us? Answer these questions for yourself; if that's a shifter cable how do you shift when the attached lever only has two positions? Secondly, if that's a shift cable, what are the two electric motors on top of the transmission for and why do they connect to the TCU (Transmission Control Unit)?
It certainly looks like a shift cable, but it isn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts