Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gizmag. I like the 'sun roof' and rims. :cool: It would be nice if some of the deisgns in this one is in a future Smart car. :D

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Gizmag. I like the 'sun roof' and rims. :cool: It would be nice if some of the deisgns in this one is in a future Smart car. :D
From the perspective of this being a new concept vehicle formed of the combined thinking of smart and BASF's ideas for holistic electric mobility, "in concept" I do find it interesting.

Lightweight tridion cell - after some of the hard hits we have seen the steel tridion take, not sure that I'm signing up for a "lightweight" tridion cell.

All plastic wheel - show me one taking a NC pothole at 75 mph as that is not a concept but rather a daily reality on our roads and highways!

"Faceted" side doors - will someone please break out the Bondo?

Also, see earlier post; http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f198/forvision-smart-prototype-40486/

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
All plastic wheel - show me one taking a NC pothole at 75 mph as that is not a concept but rather a daily reality on our roads and highways!
Without knowing more about what the properties are of the plastic used, I just have to wonder how the fortwo's stock alloy wheels fare on your NC potholes. I've heard of many dented rims. eBay is a good source for dented smart rims too. Maybe instead of denting, the plastic wheels crack or break?? :eek: Or not.
"Faceted" side doors - will someone please break out the Bondo?
I would like to know whether they're functional in some way, or just someone's idea of a neat look. If the later ... hmmm. :rolleyes:

It's an interesting concept car. I don't have any interest in buying an electric though.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funky Smart Forvision EV Concept Coming to Frankfurt

Motor Trend.
"The bottom line is that Smart says all the innovations seen on the Forvision concept could increase the range of an electric car by about 20 percent. We’re all for more range from EVs, but the tweaks made to this Smart make it look laughably bizarre. Maybe, though, Smart will have the last laugh if these ideas make it to mainstream production on future cars.":cool:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What 2 cyl diesel can I get it in?

Make it simple so it will run on used frying oil, like my 300TD does, for free.

Thanks....

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
More descriptive information about the "plastic" wheels:

All plastic wheels for Smart car

A quick search on "polyamide composite" turned up a reference by a company announcing a "high performance polyamide composite suitable for manufacturing structural parts for the transportation and construction sectors". So, it may not be as far fetched as it seems. I'm sure there were folks who thought putting on a "carbon fiber" vest that could stop bullets was pretty far out at one time also. It all has to start somewhere... :wink:

Reinforced Plastics - Rhodia develops high performance polyamide composite

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
More descriptive information about the "plastic" wheels:

All plastic wheels for Smart car

A quick search on "polyamide composite" turned up a reference by a company announcing a "high performance polyamide composite suitable for manufacturing structural parts for the transportation and construction sectors". So, it may not be as far fetched as it seems. I'm sure there were folks who thought putting on a "carbon fiber" vest that could stop bullets was pretty far out at one time also. It all has to start somewhere... :wink:

Reinforced Plastics - Rhodia develops high performance polyamide composite
I worry that the same idiot that specified these plastic wheels is the one that specified the Crazeroof panels in our sunroof models.

If it's made by Webasto, BE VERY AFRAID!...:eek:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,208 Posts
I worry that the same idiot that specified these plastic wheels is the one that specified the Crazeroof panels in our sunroof models.

If it's made by Webasto, BE VERY AFRAID!...:eek:
Carrol Shelby had plastic wheels on one of his Shelby Dodge cars back in the mid '80's. It was a small two door coupe with some of his upgrades on it. If I remember correctly, the wheels had no problems.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,074 Posts
I don't believe the "faceted" doors would look quite as odd if they were congruent with the rest of the styling, but the front and rear use very rounded, smooth shapes that don't mesh well with the "stealth fighter" doors.

·
Banned
261 Posts
Regardless of the "unique" features shown on these concept cars, they continue to reflect a continuity of design. Each tries out some additional features and concepts but continues to build on a consistent design theme. I think it is safe to say that the the next tridion will extend down and side skirts will be part of it, and the tridion will be retro to the 1st gen Fortwo by having the tail lights intergrated into it. I think it is safe to say that the air inlet will be a smooth slit in the panel on the drivers side (for LH drive)still relying on negative airflow to push fresh air into the engine. Front and rear fenders will extend to cover a wider tread/track. The front "grille" will be more smoothly intergrated into the front end to meet EU pedestrian safety standards.The door handles will be less stand alone. The up wedge shape to the rear will be lessened.The headlights will have some sort of rim on them, but not the bizarre white mascara look of the first concept. At least those are my design thought based on the continuing theme that each new concept smart continues to build on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I found the roof electrics derivative:

Even in diffused light and poor light conditions the transparent dyes of the solar cells can generate enough energy to power the multimedia components and assist with climate management of the vehicle interior.
Just from memory alone, this was already available via solar cells in the sunroof integrated with climate management in the 2003 and later VW Phaeton, in the mid-00's Audi A8, and in the 1991-1996 Mazda 929.

So this is pretty pretty ancient tech, and it is far from "new" stuff.

I have zero interest in an electric car but otherwise welcome any new tech on the smart ForTwo.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Motor Trend.
"The bottom line is that Smart says all the innovations seen on the Forvision concept could increase the range of an electric car by about 20 percent. We’re all for more range from EVs, but the tweaks made to this Smart make it look laughably bizarre. Maybe, though, Smart will have the last laugh if these ideas make it to mainstream production on future cars.":cool:
My personal opinion, this car looks like 10 years in the future and in the interim marijuana was made legal (materials aside) .

Donald LaFavor

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I like the front end design a lot, but think the headlights should only have the led strip around the outside/bottom edge. The perforations for the grill look really fresh to me. Too bad those about those doors; they make me think the team that put the creases on the BMW Z4 doors were part of the concept (and really went overboard).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
saw an ad from BASF featuring the smartforvision in this months National Geographic. It is right after an article about bike sharing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts