Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
SmartPassion... you do not sound aware that they alread have a factory turbo equiped 451....just not for sale in USA market.... wink wink

Opps Kane beat me to it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Doesn't the turbo defeat the high MPG? That IS the third reason I'm getting the car, after all. The look and unusualness is first and second.

·
Super Moderator
28,198 Posts
Here's a blurb from that site, under the LA - Detroit picture:

In an unusual long distance test the smart fortwo and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class demonstrated their top position among the most climate-friendly cars. On a trip from Los Angeles via Chicago to the Detroit Auto Show 2008 they demonstrated outstanding fuel-saving qualities in everyday real-world conditions. On the 4,400 kilometre route the smart fortwo mhd recorded an average consumption of just 4.8 litres per hundred kilometres (49 mpg). The two smart fortwo cdis were satisfied with 3.9 litres (60 mpg), and even the business saloon E 320 BLUETEC (US version) consumed an average of just 5.8 l/100 km (40.5 mpg).
So which car do they sell in the USA? The one that averages 34 or 35 mpg. I don't know if this road trip was to demonstrate what is in our future or just to thumb their collective MB noses at us. :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
The mhd system increases your city mpg - not your highway mpg.

The micro hybrid drive is basically the same as the car we get in the states with the added feature of the engine shutting down when the car gets below a certain speed or stops. Since a cross country trip would most likely be spend on the highway, the hybrid drive would have almost no effect on mpg. It would seem to indicate that one could get 49 mpg on the highway. Some posters to this site have indicated they are achieving mpg in that range.

I have seen posts that state that smarts in other markets get better mileage because they have different gearing. While that may be true, I have not been able to verify that fact. Of the sites I've checked that list the gear ratios - they have all been the same. Has anyone else been able to find a different set of gearing listed?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think MB is using the Smart introduction to search out the US market for opportunities. If the Smart is a success here, expect to see the A and B class MB models on our shores.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think MB is using the Smart introduction to search out the US market for opportunities. If the Smart is a success here, expect to see the A and B class MB models on our shores.
I'd like that. My depth perception is poor and I generally feel more comfortable driving smaller cars. Hatchbacks are also so practical. Still, I wouldn't count on seeing those two over here anytime soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts