Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
No side airbags, though...would it have been 5 stars with them such as the '08 model will have?....I wonder...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Still- 4 stars is an accomplishment given the size/weight of the 4/2

I think 5 stars would take knee bags (which are getting more common on European cars) as well as the head bags we'll be getting from the color coded diagrams and projected danger of femur injuries.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Four-star crash protection for ForTwo

Four-star crash protection for ForTwo24 October 2007

• Smart car gets four stars from Euro NCAP
• Child protection wasn't rated
• Two stars for pedestrian protection

Smart's new ForTwo has received four stars out of five in Euro NCAP's adult protection crash tests.

As the vehicle has no rear seats, the car didn't receive a child protection score.

However, Euro NCAP noted that an option package is available which includes ISOFIX anchorages for the passenger seat and a switch to disable the passenger's side frontal airbag.

It said that the label warning of the dangers of fitting a rearward-facing child restraint without first disabling the airbag was inadequate.

The car received two out four stars for pedestrian protection.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Pedestrian Protection

The idea is what happens to a pedestrian if you hit them. Very often they are taken at or below the waist and the upper body spins and comes down on the hood and/or windshield.

This a bigger deal in Europe than here; the NHTSA only considers it periphally, and it isn't part of the NHTSA crash certification standard. Thus I don't think the insurance companies will make much of it, and I know I won't. Here it is more of a medical community and CDC bray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts