Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Remember that BPP post from many moons ago? So far, the stock intake setup with a less restrictive drop in filter seems to give the best results (I know the full CAI guys will disagree with this :))

That was my finding too. In the real world driving that I do, I found the quickest and fastest setup so far in both 1/4 mile time and Hillclimb top speed on the Donner Summit is:

Stock Airbox (brings in outside air)
Breathless Filter (flows nice)
Intake scoop (reduced intake air temp by 15 degrees)
Silicone intake tube (repels heat, is larger than stock)

I tried something similar to the "inside the engine compartment intakes"
and the most notable reduction was in the Hillclimb test. as soon as the intake air temp rose, the engine kicked back the timing a little for protection and the top speed dropped.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Stock Airbox (brings in outside air)
Breathless Filter (flows nice)
Intake scoop (reduced intake air temp by 15 degrees)
Silicone intake tube (repels heat, is larger than stock)
Maybe a great opportunity for Smart Madness to perhaps offer an "intake package" with all of these items in one box, since they do offer each of these upgrades individually?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe a great opportunity for Smart Madness to perhaps offer an "intake package" with all of these items in one box, since they do offer each of these upgrades individually?
Normally these items would be about $200 (plus about $37 in individual shipping charges) but we will offer the "intake trio" for about 200 SHIPPED for all items!

Smoked side Intake scoop
AFE drop in filter
Silicone intake hose

$184.99 + 14.99 shipping when purchasing together.

Great idea and we appreciate you thinking of us :D

Anyone interested can call me here at the shop.

Sergio

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Tuesday night street legals at Indianapolis Raceway Park March 30th.
Will Jetfuel make it?
Weather should be about 50 or 60F and clear.

O’Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis: Race Divisions

If it weren't for the 3 hr drive over to Indy from the cornfields of central Illinois I would bring the O. Crate over for a few 1320 runs.
Our local 1/8 mile track will be opening in a couple of weeks I'll get some numbers then.

Barney O.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
..as a modification...ours are stock set up ....sooo...we are good to go...

jetfuel...I'm not telling them where the battery is anyways. ..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They asked but didn't check where the battery is or if it's secure. Guess they figure it will not be fast enough to get in trouble. They should check Jetfuels car if they knew he is trouble :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Got new best times.
1/8 at 12.176 seconds at 57.08
1/4 at 18.899 seconds at 73.57
Compare to last years best
1/8 at 12.44 seconds at 55.18 mph (Last year)
1/4 at 19.41 seconds at 69.69 mph (Last year)
Roughly 1/2 second better just by loosing weight, running high tire pressures, and leaving the shifter in manual while letting it shift at rev limit.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...how did you do that?...the weight part I mean...I saw what you wrote on the other thread...:cussing:...

jetfuel...light as a feather...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I had one bar indicated of fuel instead of a full tank.
Empty windshield washer reservoir. (instead of full)
44 PSI all around instead of 35/40
No Rolla organizer
No cargo divider
No factory rubber mats.
Empty door pockets and glove box.
No jack, wheel wrench, qt. of oil, plug kit, mini jumpers, in the rear gate.
Most of the weight savings where from the fuel load.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I vote for head gear option number four, the others I don't like, especially #2 :smilie_barf:
2.0 Upgrade had no effect on performance, the temperatures where higher at 6 pm. temp. sensor read 82F, by 8:30 pm. it had come down to 76F and the best run came last.
Again Auto mode worked better for better times.
60' ft 2.793
330' ft 8.158
1/8 12.659
MPH 54.64
1000' 16.492
1/4 19.706
MPH 68.69

So just as I thought no difference, it may shift a little quicker at lower RPM's but full throttle shifts above 6000 RPM show no noticeable difference in performance.
Things I would like to try in the future:

-50 cent intake mod.
-Custom fabricated intake.
-Air scoop.
-My own muffler.
-Cleaned up exhaust manifold.
-Removing all the stuff from the car and running on less than a gallon of fuel for weight savings.
That time and speed are almost identical as when I ran my '62 Austin Healey Sprite. I had a wall full of trophies, mostly from whipping VW beetles.

·
Banned
131 Posts
The slowest car all day certainly got a lot of attention, several people where making wagers on how fast it would be before my first run:p, a couple of guys came up to the line and asked me how much the car weights, HP, etc.
I'm mainly interested to see if the 2.0 upgrade will make any difference so Tuesday runs where just a baseline.
60' 2.674
330' 8.031
1/8 12.552
mph 54.39
1000' 16.405
1/4 19.636
mph 68.12
Temp. 72 F
Best run was my first, after 8 runs it seems just running on Auto was the way to go a little faster.
Car set up: 08 Passion, heated seats, alarm, gauges. Full gas tank of 93, rubber floor mats, cargo divider, tire emergency kit, rear storage compartment holds quart of oil, tire plug kit, aluminum jack, lug wrench and moving mat. Stock wheels and tires at 35psi front, 40psi rear. Car 100% stock.
19.63 1/4 mile? Was that on street tires or drag slicks? Did you drop the pipes?

19.6? I think you might give one of the 30hp beetles a good run :p
You would beat it by 3 seconds. My '59 ragtop ran 22.6.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts