Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,909 Posts
Pretty cool. I doubt the smart will be a serious autocrosser and with all the electronic aids included you'll have a hard time turning one over or even getting the tail to hang out. It's supposed to be a city car, after all. Reminds me, I need to start looking for a loft to rent... :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Reminds me of the testing that Motorweek does. Not sure what speed they were at but based on the many Motorweek tests I've seen, the smart looked GREAT! Can't wait until early 2008 to see Motorweek test the smart.

:D

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
That was as fast as the driver could go without the ESP taking away his brake and throttle privileges. :)

Turn off the ESP. Let's how see well this thing really handles. If the ESP has already made that determination, it's pretty sad. Where are my wrenches!?!?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
For those who think the smart can't do a slalom test without falling over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71zkagcKxTU
This one deserves to be embedded:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/71zkagcKxTU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/71zkagcKxTU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
INdeed!! He wasn't dogging it a bit was he! Seemed to handle just fine, too, with not a whole lot of leaning going on or overcorrecting for understeer, either. That speedometer needle was positioned around the 1 o'clock position thru those curves. Again, not any autocrossing criteria but it looks like a fun ride for sure and that's what I want. :)
The more of these I see, the more excited I get about having it!! LD

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I can't wait either, Carnut!

Reminds me of the testing that Motorweek does. Not sure what speed they were at but based on the many Motorweek tests I've seen, the smart looked GREAT! Can't wait until early 2008 to see Motorweek test the smart.

:D
Who cares about Motorweeks testing.....:) I'm going to be doing my own Smart test in early 2008!!! :D :D Then this forum will get the info right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. LOL

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
OK look you drifters... Here is the deal... there are well documented ways to defeat the ESP by shorting one pin in the OBDII connector to ground... basically a loop wire going from one pin to another always grounded pin... There are fancy plugs for this that cost money, some have a led and a switch. According to Brit owners and tuners this has zero detrimental effect on the cars ECU and other engine management systems. When the grounded condition is removed, the ESP and ABS sub systems come immediately back on line...

NOW for the disclaimer... First we do not yet know exactly what pin in the 451 North America version... Second when this is done, the ESP and ABS computer is sent off line... this is dangerous and you assume significant liability is you forget and leave it with these safety features defeated... Use this info at your own risk. The author of this public domain info assumes no liability for your actions...yadda yadda yadda...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts